Shimano Curado 200G7 Shims

Started by Ruffy, March 01, 2017, 04:09:17 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Ruffy

Hi Team,
I was given a Shimano Curado 200G7 in a bag in pieces. I've managed to put it all back together however I am left with these three copper shims. I cannot figure out where they go! They measure 5 x 7 x 0.2 mm.

As far as parts for the reel go, they were all there except for part number BNT3130 (Drive shaft base washer). The three shims I've got definitely don't fit there, do you guys have any other ideas as to where they've come from?

Any help would be greatly appreciated!

Cheers,
Andrew

oc1

I do not know, but are they about the same inside diameter as the drag spring washer (domed washers) and the spacer under the star?  I have found extra shims there to get the play out of the star when it is fully backed off.
-steve

exp2000

Where washer are concerned, reelality sometimes differs from the Shimano paper shematics.

You sometimes see this on the worm drive but in your case I suspect that these washers may have come from inside the pawl cap.
~

exp2000

One of these washers may even be BNT3130.

For some reason the washer in this position on Shimano reels is always a very loose fit
(perhaps to make it easier to wedge the E-Clip in position)
which may have led you to assume that it was not the correct one.

BNT3130 measurements = 5.25 x 6.63 x 0.2 mm which is pretty close to your measurements.

5 x 7 x 0.2 also measures a neat fit under the pawl cap and I have seen these here before in this position.

So my bet would be one on the end of the main-shaft and two under the pawl cap.

I am pretty confident that this is the correct solution.
~

handi2

Most commonly they are used on top of the sleeve to adjust the drag star height or tension.
OCD Reel Service & Repair
Gulf Breeze, FL

exp2000

Quote from: handi2 on March 01, 2017, 05:17:16 PM
Most commonly they are used on top of the sleeve to adjust the drag star height or tension.

The quoted dimensions of these washers are much too small for this application.

The ID of any washers in this position would be around 8mm.
~

exp2000

Zimbass

Hi Ruffy,

As is common with most newer models of these reels, there are variations on adjusting washers, as is confirmed in the schematic.

Have worked on many of these G series reels, and know that each one can have a different number of these shims. There are often one on each side of the frame, between the level wind protector and frame. The stabilizer bar runs through these, and then the e-clip fits on the end.

I have also seen them fitted, either, under or on top of the anti-reverse pawl.

This model reel does not have that type of spacer in the level wind pawl, as they use the common BNT0830.

These are, IMHO, the worst of the Curado series made by Shimano, which have poor tolerances. Don't get me wrong, they are still a fine reel, just not up to the earlier E series, and older variants.

Cheers,

Terry.

Never was so much owed by so many to so few.

philaroman

X2

if you want true Curado quality E is the cut-off...  Shimano did something truly sleazy w/ the G -- instead of raising prices, they just moved the Curado name to a lower-quality model...  pretty sure they did the same thing w/ Chronarch

exp2000

Quote from: philaroman on March 02, 2017, 05:20:25 PM
X2

if you want true Curado quality E is the cut-off...  Shimano did something truly sleazy w/ the G -- instead of raising prices, they just moved the Curado name to a lower-quality model...  pretty sure they did the same thing w/ Chronarch

Very true. The G is was a marked decline from the traditional Curado standard and the market voted with it's feet.

But the good news is; this was a wakeup call for Shimano. As a result the I series was rolled out very quickly.

These were a whole new ballgame. A completely new design from the ground up, emulating some of the best features from the competition and introducing some completely new technologies.

A fine piece of machinery.
~

Ruffy

Thanks for all the responses guys! Yeah I have a 200E7 and to be honest the fit and finish of the G just doesn't compare. I am going to get out of it relatively cheap though ($90 AUD) with a carbontex upgrade so I'll flick it to a mate who is getting into fishing here in Darwin.

As far as the three shims go, I think you might be onto something exp2000. When I first looked at them two of the shims were well stuck together and I thought it was only two shims. It wasn't until I was greasing them to try them in various places that they came apart. This would lead me to think they were the two under the pawl and the other might be on that driveshaft as you've stated. I'll take it apart over the weekend and trial those positions.

For the pawl cap, it already has a washer in there (BNT0830). Do these two shims go in there as well and do they go around BNT0830 or will it rest either on top or below them? I've pinched the photo of BNT0830 from ereplacementparts.com but I don't have measurements as the reel is back together.

Ruffy

I just saw this comment, it's a small world! Hopefully one day in the near future I'll get down to that part of the world, I went there with the Navy years ago and fell in love. Bought a kids rod and reel and a handful of squid jigs and spent many a night catching squid off the side of the patrol boat for entertainment and a good feed! Didn't have the opportunity to do some real fishing though. As it stands now it's been a while since I've had the opportunity to wet a line, 4 years of Med School and 3 kids under 5 has seriously put the brakes on my leisurely past times for the moment. The wife already knows I am buying a tinny as a graduation present though, will have to pencil in a road trip to WA in the next few years.

Quote from: exp2000 on March 02, 2017, 03:35:20 AM
BTW Ruffy,

I am just down the road in Broome mate.

https://www.facebook.com/groups/KimberleyRodandReel/
~

philaroman

Quote from: exp2000 on March 03, 2017, 12:19:02 AM
X2

if you want true Curado quality E is the cut-off...  Shimano did something truly sleazy w/ the G -- instead of raising prices, they just moved the Curado name to a lower-quality model...  pretty sure they did the same thing w/ Chronarch

Very rue. The G is was a marked decline from the traditional Curado standard and the market voted with it's feet.

But the good news is; this was a wakeup call for Shimano. As a result the I series was rolled out very quickly.

These were a whole new ballgame. A completely new design from the ground up, emulating some of the best features from the competition and introducing some completely new technologies.

~

nice to know, in case the wallet fills up again...  hopefully, before the old Scrp. Met. dies -- love that thing, esp. since I got the longer/fancier ChronarchB handle for it

does anyone know exactly which Chronarch model I should avoid (i.e., "sleazed down" like the CuradoG) & whether/if/which subsequent series had the quality restored?

Zimbass

Quote from: philaroman on March 03, 2017, 01:50:52 AM
Quote from: exp2000 on March 03, 2017, 12:19:02 AM
X2

Very rue. The G is was a marked decline from the traditional Curado standard and the market voted with it's feet.

~

nice to know, in case the wallet fills up again...  hopefully, before the old Scrp. Met. dies -- love that thing, esp. since I got the longer/fancier ChronarchB handle for it

does anyone know exactly which Chronarch model I should avoid (i.e., "sleazed down" like the CuradoG) & whether/if/which subsequent series had the quality restored?

The Chronarch E is the one to avoid, with the later CI4 restored to the Chronarch glory. Some say the D series Chronarch is the best LP reel ever made by Shimano,

Cheers

Terry.

Never was so much owed by so many to so few.

exp2000

Quote from: Ruffy on March 03, 2017, 01:02:37 AM
For the pawl cap, it already has a washer in there (BNT0830). Do these two shims go in there as well and do they go around BNT0830 or will it rest either on top or below them? I've pinched the photo of BNT0830 from ereplacementparts.com but I don't have measurements as the reel is back together.

The spare washers you have essentially create an extension of the bore in which the worm pawl resides so BNT0830 floats inside them. Maybe Shimano had an inconsistent production run of worm pawls which deviated beyond acceptable parameters or maybe the line guide itself was out of specification. These washers would provide an easy means of compensating for this.

When I have seen these, BNT0830 was still included in the stack and I would not consider removing it. Provided BNT0830 remains clearly below the lip of the barrel, I can see no reason to include the other washers. But once assembled  I would rotate the worm drive by finger, just to make sure it does not bind anywhere throughout it's travel. If you do encounter any stiffness, I would include the odd washers to restore adequate clearance.
~