An intro & few questions from a begginer

Started by Woody213, March 03, 2017, 05:10:33 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Woody213

Hello. They call me Woody. I currently live in Portsmouth Va. I recently got back into fishing after falling away from it for a few years. I grew up in upstate Ny fishing for trout, bass, catfish, carp etc. Lakes and ponds. Last year I picked up a Abu Garcia Ambassador 5600sx and an Ugly Stick GX2, as my little Black Max 2 is a bit small for anything in this area. I went pier fishing quite a few times and enjoyed it. I aquired 2 kayaks last year and plan on getting them out this year. Now for the questions. Theres a few. I didnt want to spam a bunch of simple questions so I made one large post.

As for my Ambassador, what would be the realistic max lb of braid? I was also looking at wanting to upgrade it a bit to get some more use out of it. I come across the Carbontex drag upgrades. Anyone know what this increases drag to? What other upgrades are there?

Im also purchasing an older 600h of my local craigslist. I found the kit from Bryan Young to upgrade the drag and plan on tearing it down just to clean it up. Again any other upgrades that I should look at? The 600h comes with a Daiwa Beefstick 7' H. I know I will be wanting to upgrade it. Any suggestions? Id have a realistic budget of maybe $100. Also line for it? I am leaning towards mono, simply because most kayak fisherman suggest it for a number of reasons. I am not up to snuff on nicer line, we always used line from big box stores growing up.

Im looking to use my Abu for striper, tilefish, seabass, king mackerel etc

Id like to take the 600h out for tuna and billfish. Maybe even some shark. Probably once I get a new kayak though. My 12' sit in probably wouldnt be great except smaller yellowfin.
I don't have backlashes, but do have 'professional overspins' from time to time

Bill B

Welcome Woody...good to have you here...mmo on the 5600 I would go nothing more than 30 lb and in the 600h if trolling 80 lb if Deep dropping then 50 lb...I'm sure others will chime in with better suggestions....the main thing is have fun....Bill
It may not be very productive,
but it's sure going to be interesting!

Shark Hunter

Welcome Woody,
There are some more upgrades for that 600H.
Tom has a nice stainless sleeve that will definitely make that 600H Shark Worthy.
I would buy some quality mono like High seas or Sufix in 60 lb.
With Bryans Stack and that ss sleeve. The game will be on.
https://www.cortezconversions.com/product-page/daiwa-sealine-900h-ss-gear-sleeve
Life is Good!

Dominick

Leave the gun.  Take the cannolis.

There are two things I don't like about fishing.  Getting up early in the morning and boats.  The rest of it is fun.

Woody213

Should the Beefstick be sufficient for now? I cant find the exact model but according to the seller its a 6' 5" 20-50lb roller tip. I cant find the exact model but there is a 6' 6" 15-50lb and a 7' 20-50lb non roller tip boat rod. Im guessing its either older or someone snapped some off and added the roller tip to fix it.

JRD

Woody,  on the kayak the 5600 and Black Max are fine.  Remember the kayak acts as part of your drag system.  20lb mono is the max I fish off the kayak (remember you may have to break it off from a floaty, tippy platform) and normally fish 12 and 15lb top shots.  I use spectra for capacity and kelp cutting.  20lb spectra for my 12lb rig and 50lb for my 50lb rig.  At least here in Socal that works where you may find anything from an eighty pound black Sea bass to a 180lb thresher on the other end.  The 600h would IMHO be way too much reel on the kayak.

Bill B

Woody I have only one beef stick, but it's a spinning rod at 6'5" I believe rated for 15-40, very fast action and heavy for spinning.....that's the only experience I have.....Bill
It may not be very productive,
but it's sure going to be interesting!

Woody213

So I picked up the 600h and Beefstick. The 600h has the "green film" on it but it seems to work smooth. I plan on opening it up and cleaning, greasing and everything. The Beefstick is in fact an oldie. But it looks solid. This thing is big and beefy. I set it next to my 5600sx and the weight is way different. Itll definitely take some getting used to. It has a half spool of Dacron, no idea the test or how much is on there. Looks like Ill be hiking to the beach for a spool.

The Black Max is great for anything under 12lbs. Over that and even in a kayak its a lot of strain. Its a tiny bass reel. The Ambassaduer is a great reel. Ill definitely look into bigger line on it. Right now its got 20lb braid thats fairly new and I dont want to rip it off. Itll end up with 30lb on it from the feedback Im getting.

My end goal for this 600h is bluefin (200-250lb) and Marlin (blues hit 300ish around here). Maybe some shark. That being said, holy cow. I underestimated the weight. Even if it doesnt end up on the yak, theres always surf fishing or the occasional boat trips. For $60 and probably some elbow grease Im damn happy.

Now to get up to NY and throw it off the end of a dock and watch everyone give me looks like Im insane.

RowdyW

Why throw it off the end of the dock? Try fishing with it.  ;D  ;D       Rudy

Keta

Hi, my name is Lee and I have a fishing gear problem.

I have all of the answers, yup, no, maybe.

A man who carries a cat by the tail learns something he can learn in no other way.
Mark Twain