1st Pier Trip 2017... Sheepshead!

Started by ChileRelleno, March 05, 2017, 02:58:57 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

swill88

Looks great!  Not crowded. How long is the pier?

You guys did great!

Steve

Fishy247

Nice sheepies!! I love fishing those things. My biggest is about 5#...I'd fish 12# or 15# and break them off trying to swing them up on the dock...I guess a net might have helped, eh? LOL

Mike

ChileRelleno

Quote from: swill88 on March 07, 2017, 05:41:25 PM

You guys did great!

Steve

It is an awesome fishing pier, practically brand new by most standards.
It is 1540' long and 20' wide, has a 65' Octagon at the end, and has 2448' of fishable railing.
There are several artificial reefs around the octagon just out of casting range for most people, they help attract/hold all sorts of fish.
At the entrance is a full service tackle/bait shop, food/beverage vendors, restrooms and the pier office, approx half way along are the restrooms and fish cleaning stations.  It is the second longest pier on the Gulf Coast and only public fishing pier in Alabama.
Ragnar Benson:
"Never, under any circumstances, ever become a refugee.
Die if you must, but die on your home turf with your face to the wind, not in some stinking hellhole 2,000 kilometers away, among people you neither know nor care about."

ChileRelleno

Quote from: Fishy247 on March 08, 2017, 12:58:01 AM
Nice sheepies!! I love fishing those things. My biggest is about 5#...I'd fish 12# or 15# and break them off trying to swing them up on the dock...I guess a net might have helped, eh? LOL

Mike
Thanks, yep a favorite here too.
My PB Sheepshead was right at 23" and 9#, caught her in April '15.

She doesn't look that big but she bowed up as the pic was taken, and she was THICK!
Ragnar Benson:
"Never, under any circumstances, ever become a refugee.
Die if you must, but die on your home turf with your face to the wind, not in some stinking hellhole 2,000 kilometers away, among people you neither know nor care about."

Bill B

Chile you should go to jail for catching all those fish  ;D while Im on the Sacramento river that resembles chocolate milk  :D  Great job on the fish and congrats to the little man......Bill
It may not be very productive,
but it's sure going to be interesting!

Fishy247

swill88

Quote from: ChileRelleno on March 08, 2017, 02:28:25 AM
Quote from: swill88 on March 07, 2017, 05:41:25 PM

You guys did great!

Steve

It is an awesome fishing pier, practically brand new by most standards.
It is 1540' long and 20' wide, has a 65' Octagon at the end, and has 2448' of fishable railing.
There are several artificial reefs around the octagon just out of casting range for most people, they help attract/hold all sorts of fish.
At the entrance is a full service tackle/bait shop, food/beverage vendors, restrooms and the pier office, approx half way along are the restrooms and fish cleaning stations.  It is the second longest pier on the Gulf Coast and only public fishing pier in Alabama.

That is a PIER.

Wonder where the longest pier on the Gulf coast is?

Trying to get my fishing buddy to take a road trip to Venice & beyond.

Steve

Newell Nut

Really nice fat ones. Good catching and great eating. I have not put a hook in the water for a mango this year. Need to work on my schedule a little.