bulk cork supply for drag washer

Started by Navidad Nutcase, March 07, 2017, 06:57:28 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Navidad Nutcase

Does anyone know where to find say, about a 6x6 or  even 12"x12"  piece of sheet cork 3/32" thick ? It's to make a new drag washer for my salmon reel.  I have tried auto part stores and they have it alright - for gasket making -  but it is not just cork. It is a cork & rubber bits blend. I don't think this will work for a salmon mooching/trolling reel. would probably be a sticky drag. I mean you'd probably turn the drag knob in - it's still creeping (trolling) , and turn it in, still creepings and then a little more and it would not creep but then be to tight to give with a fish on, because of the rubber bits causing it to stick fast.
What do the people with experience think?
Don't criticize our kids. We too were once "young n' dumb".... Fortunately - and sadly - neither condition is permanent.

STRIPER LOU

I think McMaster Carr carries it.
...........Lou

Robert Janssen

Exactly what you said. Do NOT use the cork & rubber blend. Makes a horrible drag material.

Pure cork granulate sheets can be found at hobby stores, or as placemats at IKEA for example.

Cheap.

Reel 224

"I don't know the key to success,but the key to failure is trying to please everyone."

Bill B

NN. just curious why not use carbon fiber over the cork?   Bill
It may not be very productive,
but it's sure going to be interesting!

Tiddlerbasher

x2 Bill - I swapped my trout reels cork and ?plastic? washers for greased cf (much better ;)) - smooooth ;D

Navidad Nutcase

Now why didn't I think of that ? I own a half dozen internationals, service/repair them myself. Never thought of carbon fiber. Nor a hobby shop for cork.  Must be getting old!
Thanks everyone.
Greg
Don't criticize our kids. We too were once "young n' dumb".... Fortunately - and sadly - neither condition is permanent.

ez2cdave

alantani

yeah, i'd go with greased carbon fiber......   :-\
send me an email at alantani@yahoo.com for questions!