Abu 6600 D5 - Main Gear & Shaft Issues

Started by FishDad, March 08, 2017, 03:57:46 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

PacRat

Are you putting the tabs on 1903520 into the slots provided on 1903519?
-Mike

FishDad

Dominick...I am new to reel repair/maintenance so I may be wrong, but the way it works ( I think) is the chrome piece sits on top of the magnet (roughly 7 o'clock to 10 o'clock position). If you look closely at the 3rd pic, note the black gear just above the screw - that gear is attached to the mag brake setting dial on the outside of the left side. In the pic, it is set to it's most minimal setting. The chrome piece has two little tabs that sit down in a little groove between the gear & magnet. When you increase the brake setting, it turns the gear, which contacts the tab & slides the chrome piece clockwise, which covers more of the magnet. But, I'm not sure exactly how it works.

However. the first pic is exactly the way I found it when I opened it up....& the spool did not drag before. I'm at a loss....& tempted to leave it off. But, if I do that, no brakes.

Dennis

FishDad

Well, I'll be a son of a gun, Mike. That was it ! I didn't have the tabs in the slots, didn't even see 'em. Working smooth as silk now & quiet as a church mouse. Wow! Thanks a lot....to everyone who helped me with it. I'll test it tomorrow. I tell ya this though, I don't think I would want a 6600 D5. I don't like a reel that doesn't have a spool tension knob, as there doesn't seem to be any way (other than loosening the drag) to free the spool up. With drag backed all way off, only get free spool turns of 1 & 1/2 revolutions - can that be right? We'll see if it'll cast when I test it tomorrow.

Again, many, many THANKS to all you guys - you're awesome!

Dennis 

alantani

I'm glad Mike figured it out.  I still have no idea what's going on!   ;D
send me an email at alantani@yahoo.com for questions!

FishDad

The finished product !! Tested it today, works beautifully thanks to all of you who helped me with it (too many to list). I couldn't have done it without all of you.

Alan, thanks again for this forum. It's outstanding !!

Dennis

steelfish

Im a abu ambassadeur fan but didnt knew about this model

the big magnet inside looked like DIY job, but seems like it was factory made

The Baja Guy

FishDad

Yes sir, Mr. steelfish. It most definitely is factory made, & if not for Mike, I may not have ever figured out the plate had to go in those little slots !