wavy drag washer

Started by fishhawk, March 12, 2017, 10:37:36 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

fishhawk

Hi, I'm trying to get more drag star travel in a squidder. If I remove the wavy washer on my drag stack will it hurt anything? I know without it I can get a full rotation + some and with it I get maybe 3/4 of a turn. Will it effect my drag? I have a ss sleeve n brians 5 stack.
thanx
Mark

foakes

If you have the star travel room, Mark --

Flat grind about 1/16" to 3/32" off of the spacer instead.

Or try and take out one pair of the CF drags and SS drag washers -- 4 instead of 5.

Best,

Fred
The Official, Un-Authorized Service and Restoration Center for quality vintage spinning reels.

D-A-M Quick, Penn, Mitchell, and ABU/Zebco Cardinals

--------

The first rule of fishing is to fish where the fish are. The second rule of fishing is to never forget the first rule.

"Enjoy the little things in Life — For someday, you may look back — and realize that they were the big things"
                                                     Fred O.

reel man

Just my opinion, but I don't think adding a 5 stack to a Squidder, or Newell 200 series is really necessary, and in your case caused a spacing problem that didn't exist with the stock configuration.  The carbon fiber material is good, but 3 HT100's with a little Cal's grease should give you the range of drag for this reel.

Alto Mare

Wavy washers act as lock washers, without it there is a chance the star could back out on its own when under stress.
You are limited on shaving the spacer on that reel, but would still help a little. What do you have for under the gear washer, I usually use 0.020" Delrin, but don't have any at the moment to send you.
The Squidder has less travel with the star, compared to others.

Sal
Forget about all the reasons why something may not work. You only need to find one good reason why it will.

fishhawk

Thanx, but it really isn't a problem, only works better (more drag range) w/out the waavy washer and i wondered if it hurts anything n Sal clarified that.Sal I have a delrin washer under the gear but not sure it's thickness probably got it from Dawn.
So basically what you'll are saying I'm not going to get anymore drag out of a 5 stack than a 3 stack so I could leave out a washer and achieve even more drag range?
I have lots of bp spacers that I have ground down and the ones I'm running now leave about 3 threads sticking out. Does that sound about right?
Thanx
Mark

Alto Mare

Quote from: fishhawk on March 13, 2017, 12:10:12 AM
Thanx, but it really isn't a problem, only works better (more drag range) w/out the waavy washer and i wondered if it hurts anything n Sal clarified that.Sal I have a delrin washer under the gear but not sure it's thickness probably got it from Dawn.
So basically what you'll are saying I'm not going to get anymore drag out of a 5 stack than a 3 stack so I could leave out a washer and achieve even more drag range?
I have lots of bp spacers that I have ground down and the ones I'm running now leave about 3 threads sticking out. Does that sound about right?
Thanx
Mark
Having 5 washers from the ultimate kit takes up just as much room as the 3 thicker washers., therefore there is no need to remove any washers.
Besides, even numbers on the washers don't fully work as they should, for instant if you remove one washer from the 5 stack it would be as removing two, fourth washerwould be only a spacer.
Star drag reels work on odd numbers with washers, not even.
Using 5 washers will definitely give you more drag and in most cases more snoothness. The reason I've mentioned you are limited on shaving the spacer is that the star will bottom out on these, it's just too close to the plate.
Do you have the 10-60 star with the cut out at the bottom? Some times those get changed along the way.
Forget about all the reasons why something may not work. You only need to find one good reason why it will.

RowdyW

Another reason for the wave washer is to ramp up the drags more gradually. The max drag is the same with or without the wave washer when the wave washer is bottomed out (flattened) with the drag star.       Rudy

fishhawk

Thank-you Sal, Yes I use the 10-60 star extensively ,but  this sleeve came from Tom n it's fine thread, so I'm limited there.
Rudy i'm definitely after smoothnes in my drags so the waavy washers stay

RowdyW

You must have a coarse gear sleeve because a 10-60 star is coarse thread.

fishhawk

sorry rudy, I meant I was familiar with that star and use it on several applications but not this one. sorry for the confusion
thanx
mark

Alto Mare

Tried to get a few machinists increase the length by 1/16" on these sleeves, but no one will listen :-\. That would have been nice for most.

reel man

Can't remember on the Squidder, but Penn offered 2 different length sleeves for the Jigmaster.

foakes

Hey Sal --

1/16" longer would be good.

SS tubing is available in many dimensions -- just pick the right OD, ID, and wall thickness.

Then just cut it to desired length -- work it smooth on both ends -- inside and out -- polish and install.

This is available from many sources -- and is used in automotive, food service machinery that needs to be rated NSF, medical equipment, and some aviation or rocket applications.

Not expensive -- believe it or not -- 316 SS is a good choice for our uses.

Best,

Fred

The Official, Un-Authorized Service and Restoration Center for quality vintage spinning reels.

D-A-M Quick, Penn, Mitchell, and ABU/Zebco Cardinals

--------

The first rule of fishing is to fish where the fish are. The second rule of fishing is to never forget the first rule.

"Enjoy the little things in Life — For someday, you may look back — and realize that they were the big things"
                                                     Fred O.

Bryan Young

You can go without the wavy washer in the squidder. The issue will be that the drag pressure will ramp up a lot quicker until the wavy washer flattens out. I have taken out this washer on many squidder because the ones that came in the reel often rusted.
:D I talk with every part I send out and each reel I repair so that they perform at the top of their game. :D

fishhawk

Thanx all! I now have some piddling to do! To Ramp or not to ramp! lol