Reassembling Penn 321 LH GTI

Started by ferg58, March 13, 2017, 08:04:08 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

ferg58

Pulled apart my reel. Now unable to figure out how to place the eccentric spring and cam back onto the plate. Referred to videos on You Tube however the placement of the spring in the cam and plate does not work for mine. Is it because my reel is left handed or something more I am missing.

oc1

The end of the spring with the elbow goes through the eccentric from bottom to top.  The eccentric fits into the side plate such that the spring, now protruding from the bottom, rides in the side plate cut-out when the eccentric is turned.
-steve

Bill B

What he said...plus install the eccentric with the spring inserted but do not try to wedge it in the spring post....the eccentric should fit flush with the spring hanging free.... install the lever.... then set the spring end into the post with needle nose pliers....hope this helps....Bill
It may not be very productive,
but it's sure going to be interesting!

ferg58

Sorry I must be pretty basic in my understanding of what to do. Any chance of drawing a diagram for me. Cheers

Bill B

I have uploaded a couple photos that may better explain it....in the first one follow the text boxes 1-5...the second photo shows a right handed 320, but it shows how it should look, just reversed for your lefty...Bill

oc1

Excellent.  Questions about how to install a Penn eccentric have come up before but no one explained it as well as you Bill.
-steve

Bill B

Thanks guys, this was a fun project.  Trying to explain this procedure in a simple way was a challenge.  As it is said "A Picture..." Hope this is helpful to others.....Bill

foakes

One of the best and clearest explanations for a procedure we all take for granted -- but is not easy to explain to a new repair person.

Nice job, Bill...

The only thing that I generally also do -- is grease up the eccentric really well all over, and the corner in the  plate where the tag end of the spring rests also gets a small dollop of grease.

Maybe overkill -- but this is likely the last or only time this will happen with a client's reel -- and it will perform better, less wear, smoother, salt resistant, and come out easy during the next service -- whether that is next year, or 30 years from now.

And the spring will stay in place as you set it in the hole.  And when you install the jack plate -- the top of the eccentric is already greased for good operation.

Best,

Fred
The Official, Un-Authorized Service and Restoration Center for quality vintage spinning reels.

D-A-M Quick, Penn, Mitchell, and ABU/Zebco Cardinals

--------

The first rule of fishing is to fish where the fish are. The second rule of fishing is to never forget the first rule.

"Enjoy the little things in Life — For someday, you may look back — and realize that they were the big things"
                                                     Fred O.

Jim Fujitani

Well done on the explanation and photo Bill!!

And great timing.  I soon have to service the reels (two 320's in the batch) that are used on our boat.  We have only gone out on the Bay twice in the last three years, so it has been about 4-5 years since I last serviced them.  The Captain (first owner) services the boat and motor.  The third owner helps out the Captain.  And I am the main deckhand and take care of the tackle, rods and reels.  And luckily, we catch fish on occasions!!

Bill B

Glad it's helping.  You never know if "what I'm thinking" will actually come out right.  Please share with anyone who could use it.....Bill