Bakelite Video from 1937

Started by mo65, March 13, 2017, 05:40:59 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

mo65

There have been several threads where this could be posted...I couldn't pick a best place...so I'll post it right here. 8)

~YOU CAN TUNA GEETAR...BUT YOU CAN'T TUNA FEESH~

steelhead_killer

Cool cool cool love those old video's and very relevant...

Andy
><)))">

Tightlines667

Good stuff!

Be good to repost this under Great Videos thread as well.

John
Hope springs eternal
for the consumate fishermen.

oc1

Wow.  That's very informative and expertly done.  Those old news reels have turned out to be important historical documents about how thinks worked and how people thought during their time. 
-steve

Reel 224

I was consulting in Franklin Twp. near Boundbrook NJ in 2000 but never new about the plant that was there years ago. Quite interesting Moe, Thanks for post it. Lowell Thomas was a very popular narrator in my time as well as then.

Joe
"I don't know the key to success,but the key to failure is trying to please everyone."

David Hall

Great video.
Thanks for posting.

exp2000

Thanks for posting such an amazing video.

It brings back so many memories of my youth.

Memories of Bakelite light switches and electric radio components.

Don't know how many times I electrocuted myself tinkering in those old radio sets lol  :o
~

mo65

Quote from: exp2000 on March 13, 2017, 11:21:29 PM
It brings back so many memories of my youth.

Memories of Bakelite light switches and electric radio components.

Don't know how many times I electrocuted myself tinkering in those old radio sets lol  :o

Yep...I used to buy those old bakelite radios buy the dozen. Nobody wanted them, everyone had a nice little transistor radio. I gutted them for the fabulous sounding American tubes, and those great Allen Bradley carbon comp resistors. The capacitors...Black Beauties...Bumble Bees...parts that sell for a premium on eBay now. I have a hell of a stash! 8)

Glad everyone enjoyed the vid! ;D

Bill B

Mo you're killing me :o....I had to wait until I got back to the Redneck Condo to watch the video :D.....my work computer filters will not let me watch videos....but at least they haven't figured out AT.com is....well what it is ;D..... thanks for sharing....Bill
It may not be very productive,
but it's sure going to be interesting!

Dominick

Thanks Moe. I enjoyed it very much.  Dominick
Leave the gun.  Take the cannolis.

There are two things I don't like about fishing.  Getting up early in the morning and boats.  The rest of it is fun.

Penn Chronology

Great video Mo, thanks for sharing!

mo65

Also found this vid from 1936...great stuff! 8)

oc1

Nice Mo.  Narrated by Lowell Thomas, no less.
-steve

foakes

It brings back so many memories of my youth.  Yep...I used to buy those old bakelite radios by the dozen. Nobody wanted them, everyone had a nice little transistor radio. I gutted them for the fabulous sounding American tubes, and those great Allen Bradley carbon comp resistors.

——————————————-

When I was a kid, my brother and I tinkered with electronics.  We didn't have much money, but we did have a TV in our bedroom — since we built them out of old parts we would scrounge up.  Tubes, capacitors, resistors, old radios, stereos, and more.

At the time I took electronics in high school, tubes were still in — but transistors were becoming popular with diodes, circuit boards, and still resistors.

Lots of soldering.

My electronics teacher, Roy Tuck, at Roosevelt HS was old school.  We needed to memorize the color code bands on the resistors to ID the Ohm.  He taught us the trick he learned which was an old saying from just after WWII —

Bad Boys Race Our Young Girls Behind Victory Garden Walls

The first letter would correspond to a multiplier of 10, starting with one.  The colors bands were black, Brown, red, orange, yellow, green, blue, violet, grey, white.

This is likely where I learned the process of elimination for diagnosing fishing reel issues.  Same as electronics — start with the obvious, then trace it backwards.

Old school — not much use for it now — except knowing the basics.  Still handy to know the differences between volts, watts, ohms, and amps when figuring out a problem with a motor, lamp, or switch.

Now we can download 32,000 songs on a micro 128GB SD card that is 1/4 the size of a postage stamp.

Some things we never forget — I still miss the smell of flux and solder on the old connections...

Best,

Fred
The Official, Un-Authorized Service and Restoration Center for quality vintage spinning reels.

D-A-M Quick, Penn, Mitchell, and ABU/Zebco Cardinals

--------

The first rule of fishing is to fish where the fish are. The second rule of fishing is to never forget the first rule.

"Enjoy the little things in Life — For someday, you may look back — and realize that they were the big things"
                                                     Fred O.

mo65

Quote from: foakes on July 03, 2018, 08:53:58 PM
It brings back so many memories of my youth.  Yep...I used to buy those old bakelite radios by the dozen. Nobody wanted them, everyone had a nice little transistor radio. I gutted them for the fabulous sounding American tubes, and those great Allen Bradley carbon comp resistors.

Some things we never forget — I still miss the smell of flux and solder on the old connections...

That's exactly what I used to do! I still have gazoodles of tubes and components salvaged from bakelite radios. I just fixed an interstage coupling capacitor in one of my guitar amps a few days ago...and that smell of the soldering flux burning...was like a trip down memory lane! 8)