new torium 20 - "required" upgrades? one stop shopping?

Started by wolvie, April 30, 2011, 06:03:52 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

wolvie

So I have a brand new torium 20, but I know from reading here that it needs several things.  

1. carbontex drags, drag plate - I know I can get them from smoothdrags, but what are the part numbers? I could not find them anywhere.
2. spring and pawl from DC (1304 and 1303, respectively)
3. spool bearing from a TN drive shaft?  I read that the bushing sometimes wears the spool shaft or corrodes into place.

I also am upgrading some penns, but don't want to pay shipping from 3 different places.  (smoothdrag for tor20 carbontex drags, shimano for bearing, spring and pawl, then mysticparts.com for my list of penn parts and general supplies:

6oz. Corrosion X Aerosol
Cal's Universal Grease, Tan, for Larger Reels (1 Ounce)
224SP Penn.25 fluid oz XR1 Penn Precision Reel Grease
168-60 Wrench
168-115 Wrench

7C-60 Washer, Drag, Metal Drag Washers (SET of 3) (for surfmaster 200M)
6-60 Washer, Drag, HT-100® (for surfmaster 200M ( uses 3 ))
6-875 Washer, Drag Washer HT-100®
6-113H Washer , Drag, HT-100
7C-113H Washer , Drag, Metal Drag Washers
6-155 Washer, Drag Washer HT-100

Is there any way to get all of this in one place so I can save the shipping costs to put toward parts?  
For example, are there penn drags that will fit into the torium, then I only have to order from 2 places.
Or am I just being too cheap?

alantani

yeah, i don't even have everything you are looking for!
send me an email at alantani@yahoo.com for questions!

wolvie

Hi Alan,

Well, if you have the drags and the spring and pawl for the torium, I could get everything else at scott's.  That would at least limit it to 2  . . .

Cheers,

David

alantani

that i have.  send a pm with your address and i will send it out.  alan

wolvie

Hi Alan,

I did not see your reply until today - I tried using the "Show new replies to your posts." but it never showed anything.  I will have to learn how to use the site better.

In any case, I actually found out the shipping from smoothdrags is just $1 - drags are light.

And shimano sent me the spring and pawl for free!  (Not sure if I just got lucky.)

So I am just ordering the rest of what I need from scotts. 

Actually - I have the new TOR20, so do I need the heavier machined drag plate I have read about (Cal's, I think) or is the existing one ok? Can I get it at Scotts - I have not place that order yet.

Bryan Young

Quote from: wolvie on May 03, 2011, 02:36:09 AMI tried using the "Show new replies to your posts." but it never showed anything.
I've got the same problems.  Now I always log out.  it's a little more work, but at least all unread posts since last visit comes up now.
:D I talk with every part I send out and each reel I repair so that they perform at the top of their game. :D

wolvie

I will try to logout each time from now on.  Thanks for the tip.

I am still wondering about the heavier drag plate.  I see they have it at smoothdrag.com, so if it is highly recommended, I will go ahead an add it to my order.
Has anyone upgraded the drag plate later and seen a big difference?  I am not targeting tuna, just stripers, so maybe I don't need it now.

Thanks again to everyone for helping me out.  I will post my progress.

alantani

oh, so that's how that works! 

regarding the heavier metal drag plate, i would not bother.  the carbontex drags will give you plenty of drag range by themselves.  try the drag washers first, then see if you really need the metal plate upgrade.  i'll bet you will be happy with what you've got.  alan

Irish Jigger

wolvie,  I have just bought a new Torium 20 from charkbait and would be interested in your opinion of Shimano's greasing/lubrication when you open your reel. Thank's.

Norcal Pescador

Quote from: Bryan Young on May 03, 2011, 08:28:19 AM
Quote from: wolvie on May 03, 2011, 02:36:09 AMI tried using the "Show new replies to your posts." but it never showed anything.
I've got the same problems.  Now I always log out.  it's a little more work, but at least all unread posts since last visit comes up now.

You should be able to just hit the "Reload" or "Refresh" button on your browser to do the same. Try it next time.
Rob

Measure once, cut twice. Or is it the other way around? ::)

"A good man knows his limits." - Inspector Harry Callahan, SFPD

wolvie

I'll hold off on the machined drag plate then.  Thanks for the input Alan.  I think you are right, I am not going after anything crazy on it, so the drag should be good with the carbontex.

I will take pics of my upgrade, and give my (inexpert) description of their factory lube job, although Alan or others may be able to give you a better assessment from their experience.

Irish Jigger

Decided to pull my new Torium 20 (poor man's Trini) down and check Shimano's greasing before I commence fishing with it. There was a dearth of grease in the reel except for some spots on the gears and spool spindle. The drag washers were dry although  the bearings appeared to be oiled. I had intended fitting a ball bearing in the frame in way of the drive shaft. Changed my mind when I discovered a nice little bronze bush there and decided that it would be ok for the fishing I do  having had ball bearing issues here in Trinidads.

Gave it the full AT treatment including greasing inside the left side plate cover which is a light aluminium pressing.

This reel is more than adequate for  anything I am likely to catch here and I am glad I greased it as I can take a ducking without having to worry about it.

alantani

it's funny.  by the time i finish upgrading a trinidad, i am basically left with a gold torium........

Irish Jigger

Very true Alan, very true. I still prefer the Trinidad handle to the softer one on the Torium.

CapeFish

Quote from: Irish Jigger on May 29, 2011, 05:25:57 PM
Decided to pull my new Torium 20 (poor man's Trini) down and check Shimano's greasing before I commence fishing with it. There was a dearth of grease in the reel except for some spots on the gears and spool spindle. The drag washers were dry although  the bearings appeared to be oiled. I had intended fitting a ball bearing in the frame in way of the drive shaft. Changed my mind when I discovered a nice little bronze bush there and decided that it would be ok for the fishing I do  having had ball bearing issues here in Trinidads.

Gave it the full AT treatment including greasing inside the left side plate cover which is a light aluminium pressing.

This reel is more than adequate for  anything I am likely to catch here and I am glad I greased it as I can take a ducking without having to worry about it.

Rather swap out the bushing for the bearing. The bushing has a habit of corroding and getting stuck in the frame and also wears the drive shaft out. The bearing doesn't give problems in my experience