let's make sure everyone feels welcomed.

Started by alantani, May 02, 2011, 02:09:34 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

alantani

send me an email at alantani@yahoo.com for questions!

gstours

Ok, here I am welcome ing others and maybe you.  I can't thank Alan enough nor the other moderators for making this site great.  If you're not sure 🤔,  just check it out.  It's mostly about fishing stuff.
  With some cooking 🍳 stuff towards the back.   
   Just saying welcome to all people to a friendly place where you will be appreciated.  Just saying.🎣

Waydown

Glad I found this site...looking forward to all the great information on here. Got some very friendly guys on here with a world on knowledge on all things fishing and more.

foakes

The Official, Un-Authorized Service and Restoration Center for quality vintage spinning reels.

D-A-M Quick, Penn, Mitchell, and ABU/Zebco Cardinals

--------

The first rule of fishing is to fish where the fish are. The second rule of fishing is to never forget the first rule.

"Enjoy the little things in Life — For someday, you may look back — and realize that they were the big things"
                                                     Fred O.

Benni3

Dominick

Waydown, welcome.  To all the folks on this site I recommend that you go back and read the first page of this thread.  Alan posted some well thought out ideas on how he wants this site to operate.  It helps to refresh ourselves with what Alan Tani's mission statement, or directional statement is supposed to operate and how its members are expected to act.  There is no need to respond to this post.  Just go back for a refresher course.  For the most part our members follow the rules which makes our moderator duties easy.  Kudos to the good job our AT members are doing.  Dominick
Leave the gun.  Take the cannolis.

There are two things I don't like about fishing.  Getting up early in the morning and boats.  The rest of it is fun.

Reel 224

The well made plans of mice and men! :-\...........................Joe
"I don't know the key to success,but the key to failure is trying to please everyone."

Shark Hunter

Life is Good!

Darin Crofton

Quote from: alantani on May 02, 2011, 02:09:34 AM
seems kind of funny that i would say this, huh!  there is no bullying here.  there is no profanity.  no one has ever called anyone an idiot. and yet, some people still feel akward posting things.  usually they're just starting out and need to ask a question that we've answered a dozen times.  they might have done an unsuccessful search already because the search function on this board does not work very well.  there are alot of problems that will crop up, and most of us know how to fix them, yet someone just starting out may come across these problems and see them as insurmountable. the reason that i know this is because these questions are often still directed to me in a pm or e-mail.  and i still answer every one.  not always right away, but i do answer them. 

but everyone should feel comfortable posting questions here, right?  well, apparently some people don't.  something funny has happened.  we appear to have attracted some serious talent.  that's fine.  but we also have developed a sense of camaraderie, and that makes some new people hang back.  we all know what it's like.  you're the new guy, maybe at work, maybe a new club of some sort.  a bunch of guys are standing in a group, all laughing and having a good time.  unfriendly?  definitely not!  and if a new guy approaches, is he welcomed?  absolutely, yes!  but for many, a group like that is still difficult to approach. 

so what to do?  well, here's my suggestion.  when someone posts a question, let's all make an effort to concentrate and stay focused on the new guy and the question that he has.  keep the side banter to a minimum and let's not get sidetracked.  if you think of a side issue, consider a separate post.  very few threads on any board stay focused on the original question once it get's past a half dozen responses.  to me, it's important that a guy can come in here and feel like he can get help he needs.  we were all "the new guy" at some point in our lives, and we've all had to turn to one person or another for help before.  i hope this will work for everybody!  rob, thank you.  and to everyone else, got a question?  post it on whatever board is close to your topic and you WILL get a response.  even if it's an "i dunno....".  we are all here to help.  alan
This is why I love this site! I joined awhile back and hung back, but not out of fear of not fitting in, I just wanted to watch and learn and could tell there were many great minds in here. After lurking for awhile, I realized not just the potential to learn things in here, but what a great community of people at many different levels of knowledge and know-how and how helpful everyone is. That's what got me to start commenting and asking questions and sharing in the game of life, or as I learned "Ohana". Thank you, to Alan, all the mods and anyone else that blesses these pages with knowledge and more importantly kindness!
God, Family and Fishing, what else is there?

Alto Mare

Forget about all the reasons why something may not work. You only need to find one good reason why it will.

Yellowcat

Hi Alan and everyone else here, I've followed this site in the past for tips & tricks for my numerous Penn's but decided to join recently as a result of searching for more exotic versions of Tiburon Reel Kits and finding some of the cool stuff that Randy has sourced. As an introduction, I am admittedly a tackle junkie, especially when it comes to reels, not to mention tackle, lures and everything else. I have over a dozen or so Vintage Penn's and like so many here, have converted most with Newell and Tiburon components along with gear, drag and other upgrades. I also have a shipload of Abu Garcia Ambassadeur's, mostly the round ones in many configurations. I also have modern stuff, later Abu's, Shimano's, Daiwa's and Penn's too. I try not to be a collector as such, as I use most of these reels at one time or another. As far as fishing goes, for salt water my main deal is Calico Bass (iron & plastics) above all else but will settle for Sand Bass, yellowtail, bonito, 'cudas, lings and rock cod if all else fails. I enjoy surf fishing (Bass & Cabezon) and frequent local 3/4 day sport boats and love skiff fishing. For freshwater, my favorite species are Flathead Catfish followed by Largemouth Bass, smallmouth's too and anything else that'll bite. I didn't realize until recently how much more there is to this site than just reel repair, amazing!  Regards, Kirk
"If you didn't put it together with your own hands, it's not really yours"  -Tim Allen  'Tool Time'

Reel 224

Kirk: There is so much more indeed. The talent here has no boundary as you will see after a while browsing around here. Welcome and have a great time.

Joe from NJ 
"I don't know the key to success,but the key to failure is trying to please everyone."

foakes

The Official, Un-Authorized Service and Restoration Center for quality vintage spinning reels.

D-A-M Quick, Penn, Mitchell, and ABU/Zebco Cardinals

--------

The first rule of fishing is to fish where the fish are. The second rule of fishing is to never forget the first rule.

"Enjoy the little things in Life — For someday, you may look back — and realize that they were the big things"
                                                     Fred O.

swill88

Yellowcat

"If you didn't put it together with your own hands, it's not really yours"  -Tim Allen  'Tool Time'