Reel for a brute power fight

Started by steelfish, March 24, 2017, 07:28:52 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

SoCalAngler

IMO steelfish's reel will do exactly what he want's. I did not look at the other reel for sale but a two speed is the way to go.

Remember SF I fish a bit further south than you but we run into the same fish as you for the most part. Set your reel at say 25 at full and then if you need push the lever past that into sunset. It takes some getting use to, I will give you that, but once you have it down the movement of the lever to very hard drag will only take a second or two....if that. The hammering down of the drag can and will pay off when you run into some big pargo. When close to the rocks for the most part you will not run into marlin, sails and such. It can happen but you know the areas where you will target, cabrilla, pargo and other inshore fish but as you know grouper and other bottom lovers can and will be on deeper reefs, so this will take a bit of learning on how to fish those area.

I caught this 42 lb plus rooster in about 30-40 ft of water. I don't remember the exact depth but you could see the rocks easily in the water. No I did not use a Fathom 40 ld2 for this fish but I wish I had.

Biggest fish of the tournament last year. Team Pacifico with largest fish.

Rivverrat

Alex, I do believe SoCal is right. The Fathom 40 is, should be a very capable reel for what your describing. Get out in your back yard or where ever & learn that reel.  

Alex, as much as I like the Baja/US113 & while it's great for what I use it for. I just dont think it's the best reel for what your describing.
You would need an aporppriate rod & do the pump & reel down on them thingy. I don't think this is the best tactic for this situation.

Hey, can we get ALEX SOME DRAG SCALES ?  I'll chip in.

Any man doing what Alex is doing "NEEDS" a good set of drag scales. Alex has been a good memeber here. Send me a PM if you feel the same.... Alex I need your address.... Jeff

steelfish

somehow I missed that last post from Mark (SoCal), thanks for your input amigo, I now set my mind to prepare the fathom 40LD2 with a higher braid test and higher drag on strike to come back for a revenge.

as you and riverrat said, I need to use and learn how to know everything about this particular reel FTH 40LD2 to get the most of it, I actually went fishing some weeks ago for sierras and eventho I really didnt a big reel for those fish I keep using the fathom to get the feel and learn the tricks on the battle, its actually fun, like driving a stick car  ;D, you are able to move the lever all the way to get more drag and at the same time with just a click you switch gears to get more torque and less acceleration, told ya, just like when I used to drive my mustang 5.0, by the way, it was a pay off on using the fathom

compa Riverrat, thanks for comment, your right on a big fish pumping and reeling its not that recommended,  now the score is Fathom 4, Baja Special 0, so, fathom won the battle to be set and prepare for the come back.

The Baja Guy

gstours

If you have time eventually,  I'd build a narrow 114h, w. Adams insert drag kit, double dog, w sst gearsleeve.
    Light, great free spool, powerful, lots of drag,  easy on the pocket book,  find used parts possible?
  Just saying.   I'll do your dog end plate for free.    just trying to help.🙋‍♂️

steelfish

Quote from: gstours on March 09, 2018, 05:14:06 PM
If you have time eventually,  I'd build a narrow 114h, w. Adams insert drag kit, double dog, w sst gearsleeve.
    Light, great free spool, powerful, lots of drag,  easy on the pocket book,  find used parts possible?
  Just saying.   I'll do your dog end plate for free.    just trying to help.🙋‍♂️

Gary, really appreciate your offer amigo.

this thread came from one year ago, now the fathom 40LD2 is sold and a new Makaira 15 SEa takes its place, for some reason I feel the mak15 more solid and robust than the fathom ($500 vs $300 reel, that could be), Mk15 also feels smoother to turn the handle at 23# strike, with the fathom I could feel some resistance that annoyed me a bit, some say its the nature of the beast but the mak is also a beast of a reel and effortless to turn the handle on the same drag numbers, anyway, now that is my goto reel for the local fishing and its  monsters ready, Im still waiting for it but no rush at all, mean time Im trainning catching nice size leopard groupers and Yellowtails on it to be prepare.

PS: I would take one of those extra narrow 114h frame from randy to build something like you said, it was already on my plans but thanks for confirm it, specially coming from the buttman itself

The Baja Guy

handi2

Here in the Florida panhandle the guys that target Grouper have to use 250lb braid with a 300lb mono leader or a 300lb wind on. That's the only way to get them up and away from the rocks. That heavy of line is needed for abrasion protection.

Keith
OCD Reel Service & Repair
Gulf Breeze, FL

Rivverrat

Quote from: steelfish on March 09, 2018, 06:50:50 PM

....   for some reason I feel the mak15 more solid and robust than the fathom...   

That's simply because it is. Two different reels.

The closest Penn reel to compare the to the Mak 15 would be the 12VSX or VISX. The Penn 12 being heavier & capable of higher drag settings

steelfish

no argue on that amigo Jeff, I love peen reels but that one was just not the reel for my type of fishing (you know what is to search for the perfect reel for the type of fishing) , maybe the 25LD2 would be better choise for local use (just as SocalAngler suggested on another thread), good thing I could sold it almost for the same amount of money I bought it, in the other hand, Mak15 SEa is a beast of a reel on small package, just loooove the low gear for sturdy groupers and high speed gear for normal fishing.
the main reason to go with Okuma is that I like to try different brands, and Makairas have really good opinions so far and still cheaper than a comparable 12VISX and comparable talica16

The Baja Guy

steelfish

Quote from: gstours on March 09, 2018, 05:14:06 PMIf you have time eventually,  I'd build a narrow 114h, w. Adams insert drag kit, double dog, w sst gearsleeve.
  Just saying.   I'll do your dog end plate for free.    just trying to help.🙋�♂️

what coincidence, looks like I will be building the exact reel Gary recommended me with the same upgrades and also from used parts  ^-^ 
The Baja Guy