Solid Spectra to Hollow Spectra

Started by Bryan Young, May 04, 2011, 10:38:01 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Bryan Young

I have been criticized in the past in doing this.  I used to splice 50# solid braid to 60# hollow spectra so that I could have the benefit of having a knot-less splice like the guys using straight hollow braid.  The main benefit was cost.  Hollow spectra, at the time, was easily 3 times as much as solid braid.  Here's a picture tutorial.  The reel is a Okuma VS35 reel loaded with 8# Fire Line Crystal

65# Hollow Braid in comparison with the 8# solid braid.

My splicing needles from a sewing shop.  I think they cost like $8 for several different sizes.

Thread the 8# solid braid on to the splicing needle.

Insert the needle into the hollow braid.

Exit out the hollow braid at 9-12 inches

And pull through

Then use the splicing clamp to clap the spiced section and make sure you wrap around the clamp so that the spectra gets clamped twice for a better securement.

This is the section where the 8# exits the 65# hollow spectra.  You will want at least 2' of solid spectra.

I then tie the 8# spectra to the spectra on the server, and coil the excess 8# spectra. 

and start wrapping.  I start to serve away from the reel about 1" and then reverse back on the until you past the splice section by about 1" and end with a blood knot.

:D I talk with every part I send out and each reel I repair so that they perform at the top of their game. :D