Penn 6500SS upgrades?

Started by troutman561, April 04, 2017, 09:16:47 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

troutman561

So, now that the reel works again, I would like to do some things to do it make it bullet proof. I wanna keep the outside looking the same but inside I am down for enhancing. I believe I can add another HT-100 in place of the teflon washer on this reel as I saw someone do on the 9500? If so, would it be worth replacing the original 2 CF washers? The drag seems fine but its a minor expense so please advise. I also have read about stainless parts for the antireverse area? What is available to make this are bulletproof? I know the AR system is the weak link in this reel so if I can correct that it would be great. Any other suggestions are welcome. I don't wanna break the bank upgrading it but am willing to spend $$ to get it bulletproof so it can be confidently used in my arsenal. Thanks in advance.

handi2

Most people always replace the nylon washer with a carbon drag washer. Its the same on all of Penn's older Spinfisher reels. The nylon washer is in the middle. Then the larger teflon thrust washer for under the spool.

The 650 drag washers are a little smaller than the 750 and up.

The double anti reverse system is very reliable. It just needs to be serviced every year depending on use.

Enjoy the reel..!!

Keith
OCD Reel Service & Repair
Gulf Breeze, FL

troutman561

I saw the double AR system. By serviced every year do you mean just cleaning and re-greasing or more in depth?

handi2

That's about it.

Ive seen many of them where the lever's that turn the dogs on and off get frozen up and wont turn. Grease those when you put them back in. The 2 parts im referring to are the 2 eccentrics that move the dogs on and off.

Then most people dont use the second clicking dog so it get stuck and corroded into position.

The next bad thing I always see is the drag washers corroded into the spool. Always grease below the first metal washer then grease the drag washers.

Just simple maintenance will do every time.

If you need some 6500SS drag washers i can send some in a regular envelope. No charge.

Keith
OCD Reel Service & Repair
Gulf Breeze, FL

Alto Mare

There are a few more upgrades you could do, but I'm more comfortable doing those on the 650ss becouse of its brass gears:
http://alantani.com/index.php?topic=20066.msg215709#msg215709

I do not use a carbon fiber washer for under the spool, the reel feels much smoother with the teflon washer or a Delrin washer.
It is a good idea to replace the teflon washer at the bottom, on the drag stack with another ht100.
You'll do that and your reel will do just fine.
With the exception of the main gear, the 6500 is just as strong as the 650, the pivot is actually stronger in those.

Motive fabrication has one of my 650ss, he will make us titanium ratchets and dogs, but he's just too busy at the moment.

Keta ( Lee) might still have some stainless steel kits, I'm not sure.

Sal
Forget about all the reasons why something may not work. You only need to find one good reason why it will.

Three se7ens

Quote from: Alto Mare on April 05, 2017, 01:47:03 AM
There are a few more upgrades you could do, but I'm more comfortable doing those on the 650ss becouse of its brass gears:
http://alantani.com/index.php?topic=20066.msg215709#msg215709

I do not use a carbon fiber washer for under the spool, the reel feels much smoother with the teflon washer or a Delrin washer.
It is a good idea to replace the teflon washer at the bottom, on the drag stack with another ht100.
You'll do that and your reel will do just fine.
With the exception of the main gear, the 6500 is just as strong as the 650, the pivot is actually stronger in those.

Motive fabrication has one of my 650ss, he will make us titanium ratchets and dogs, but he's just too busy at the moment.

Keta ( Lee) might still have some stainless steel kits, I'm not sure.

Sal

It is in the works.  I hope to start testing after next week. 

troutman561

Titanium? I am interested. Keep us posted.

troutman561

Just went on Scott's and bought 3 HT-100 drag washers, the newer style pinion/main gear, a few silent dogs for the upgrade/spares, and a new crosswind block/gear kit. Apparently a lot of this is from the SSM? Is the newer style gear and crosswind gear a different material than the original? Figured I would have spare parts available just in case as I plan for this reel to be used on every offshore outing once again. Guess it will be good to go for another 25-50 years.

Also, my silent dog is not engaging. I didn't take the "clicker" off before to test it running silent. Is there a fix for this? Do I just to pinch that little metal piece that goes over the ratchet?

Tightlines667

Quote from: troutman561 on April 06, 2017, 12:44:11 AM
Just went on Scott's and bought 3 HT-100 drag washers, the newer style pinion/main gear, a few silent dogs for the upgrade/spares, and a new crosswind block/gear kit. Apparently a lot of this is from the SSM? Is the newer style gear and crosswind gear a different material than the original? Figured I would have spare parts available just in case as I plan for this reel to be used on every offshore outing once again. Guess it will be good to go for another 25-50 years.

Also, my silent dog is not engaging. I didn't take the "clicker" off before to test it running silent. Is there a fix for this? Do I just to pinch that little metal piece that goes over the ratchet?

Yes, try pinching the tabs slightly, and do not over grease here. 
Hope springs eternal
for the consumate fishermen.

troutman561

Quote from: handi2 on April 04, 2017, 11:39:42 PM

If you need some 6500SS drag washers i can send some in a regular envelope. No charge.

Keith

I really appreciate the offer. Quite kind of you. I ended up throwing some into my order of backup parts so for now I am covered. Thanks again!