Homemade Butter Knife Lure

Started by tfcoyote, April 06, 2017, 09:49:01 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

tfcoyote

I have been following this site for a few years, but this is my first post.

Since I usually fish on a tight budget, and because I enjoy tinkering and such, I decided to try my hand at a homemade lure.  I had seen people use butter knives as the base for casting/jigging lures, and lo and behold, we had a mismatched butter knife in the silverware drawer.

I cut off the excess with a hacksaw and ground the cut end into a sort of fishtail shape.  I intentionally drilled the holes off of the centerline, in hopes that would give it more wiggle.

I epoxied/glued some reflective strips (the kind used to scare birds away from agriculture) to the sides.  Then I used my fly-tying kit to add some bucktail (which I actually took off a buck) and some peacock feather.

I'm looking forward to trying it out in the very near future.  I'll update this if I catch anything with it.

STRIPER LOU

Very cool idea. Came out great! I'm sure it will catch.
Let us know how it works!

..................  Lou

Bill B

I'd eat that....looks good brother.....Bill
It may not be very productive,
but it's sure going to be interesting!

Big Tim

Quote from: TARFU on April 07, 2017, 01:41:17 AM
I'd eat that....looks good brother.....Bill

Bill it would hurt if you ate that...I like it it a lot, but will skip the eating part. Nice job.

BT

David Hall

You can't even tell it was a butter knife though?
You should see my homemade spoons!

swill88

It's beautiful. I've got a silver spoon chewed up in the disposal. Going to follow your lead. Thanks.

Steve

Steve-O

VERY WELL DONE, tfcoyote!

I cruise the thrift stores looking for the heaviest, fishiest looking butter and table knives I can find and convert them to jigs just like yours.

That one you made is a guaranteed fish killer.

theswimmer

There is nothing like lying flat on your back on the deck, alone except for the helmsman aft at the wheel, silence except for the lapping of the sea against the side of the ship. At that time you can be equal to Ulysses and brother to him.

Errol Flynn

Meanwhile

Very nice.  I need to hit the local Goodwill store.

Decker

I have a pile of butter knives from the thrift store that are awaiting this kind of treatment.  I like the Hopkins jig, but ouch, it hurts when you lose one in the rocks.  Would like to see more of these.

Steve-O

Most of mine are already in Alaska - stored at the lodge I visit annually so I don't have to haul the weight back and forth. When I lose some ....I just make more...only a buck or two depending on the hook I use...most of which are big Owner Tunas or Octopus.

Here's some neat ones...not mine...but well done. The blade does not need to be cut off and actually enhances the flutter action when being jigged or retrieved.

Some knives are super hard SS and need annealing before you can drill through it with a hand drill. A drill press and good oiled bit will cut through the butter knife...just like buttah! ;D

PS- in my experience, only the heaviest you can get are worth messing with. The light weight ones take forever to sink and won't even jig if there's any tide current. Light weight for less than 100' and heavy for deeper. The trick in slow jigging staying as vertical as possible with tension always on the line for bite feedback. Lots of bites happen on the fall and you need to feel it to set the hook. Even small fish will chomp on a full size butter knife. Eyes help a lot as does prismatic tape or stripes. Nothing else needed. I use solid figure 8 connectors between the mainline and the hook with a split ring on the bottom of the figure 8 for the jig. That way the hook is not on a split ring. Swivels are optional, too. But only heavy duty.

David Hall

Goodwill is my supplier also, I've burnt up a number of good drill bits because I didn't ink of annealing the steel before drilling, (head slap). I'll no better next time.

Decker

Anyone have advice for making butter knife jigs "swim" for lateral jigging?   I know a Hopkins will sway side to side when reeling in fairly fast.

Steve-O

Clamp the blade in a vice and bend the handle over....you would need to experiment how much bend to use for how much action you want.

At a guess more than 5 degrees less than 50. Maybe bend three knives at 10, 20 & 30 degrees than go test in a clear lake or friendly neighbors cement pond/pool. Vary the retrieve and jigging motion.

Decker

Quote from: Steve-O on April 10, 2017, 12:10:47 AM
Clamp the blade in a vice and bend the handle over....you would need to experiment how much bend to use for how much action you want.

At a guess more than 5 degrees less than 50. Maybe bend three knives at 10, 20 & 30 degrees than go test in a clear lake or friendly neighbors cement pond/pool. Vary the retrieve and jigging motion.

Thanks, Steve, makes sense.   I wonder how to keep the jig from spinning when it is curved.   

Also, how is it that metal jigs that are perfectly flat (like a Hopkins) swim?   A Hopkins has a recessed lip behind the front eye, so I suspect that plays a role.  Not sure how I can copy that at home with limited tools... maybe file away some material on the front.  The back is also recessed.