PENN SPINFISHER 4400SS BAIL TRIP LEVER AND CAM POSITIONING AND BAIL ARM

Started by LAHossman, April 07, 2017, 05:46:23 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

LAHossman

I was given a Penn Spinfisher 4400SS to work on. The problem was the bail was not completely opening all the way. I know that the tab on the bail arm rides in the groove of the rotor. I have positioned the trip lever and cam I believe correctly. Reassemble the bail assembly. Open the bail and it is only opening halfway. I left the plate off to follow the whole movement. As the bail arm moves around the bail arm tab catches the trip lever and bottoms out against the rotor wall, not allowing the bail to open fully. Am I missing something? Here are some photos showing how I reassembled the trip lever and cam.

handi2

This will bear hard to explain without a picture.

In the last picture everything looks right but one part isn't. That's why I hate working on this part of those reels.

You take the part with the spring back off, move the kick lever to the center, and put that part back on.

All the while keeping it together while you get the cover back on.
OCD Reel Service & Repair
Gulf Breeze, FL

handi2

Gulf Breeze, FL

LAHossman

Still scratching my head over this one and down to the last hair. I provided another picture of my issue:

Shark Hunter

I think its your cam lever not being in the right position.
These are easy to assemble incorrectly.
I am down to my last hair looking at the pictures. ::)
Sal posted a picture of this same reel when I was having the same issue, but I can't find it.
Someone help us out here!
Life is Good!

sdlehr

I believe what Keith was saying is that your trip lever needs to be on the other side of the cam lever. That would move the other end of the trip lever away from the bail arm tab. But I've looked at other photos of this elsewhere and I'm confused, too, and I'm not sure that is correct - not what Keith said, my interpretation of it. I remember having trouble with this, Mo sent me a link to some photos on the PennParts website that showed the proper orientation of the parts in question. I can't find that now, sorry.

Sid
Sid Lehr
Veterinarian, fishing enthusiast, custom rod builder, reel collector

handi2

I have to hurry and get the cover back on..!!
Gulf Breeze, FL

mizmo67

Here's a photo from the older 4400ss version, John.
Keith's last one is from a newer SSg substition rotors so the washer holding the lever is different.

Note the position of the levers AND the bail is in the CLOSED position. I think your bail arm was placed on at the wrong position, so that the tripping nub on it was not interacting with the trip lever properly.

Hope that helps

"Edited as per Moderators to correct Scott's Bait & Tackle over to their new store name Mystic Reel Parts / www.mysticparts.com"
~Mo

Maureen Albertson :)
Scott's Bait & Tackle / Mystic Reel Parts (Formerly PennParts.com)
Contact Me Via Store Website Please!
Orders/Support# +1 (609) 488-4637 (parts ordering or troubleshooting)
customerservice@mysticparts.com