I wonder...

Started by swill88, April 11, 2017, 05:43:54 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

swill88

Can a reel that is billed as a freshwater reel be properly prepped and maintained so it can survive fishing in the salt?

Steve

Bryan Young

Yes as long as the reel frame is not magnesium.
:D I talk with every part I send out and each reel I repair so that they perform at the top of their game. :D

oc1

I have trouble with aluminum too.  On a modern reel, give me plastic.

It comes down to whether or not you're willing to keep up with the servicing they demand.  The ones that demand to be opened up and cleaned after every use (Penn Fierce for example) may not be worth the effort.

-steve

alantani

send me an email at alantani@yahoo.com for questions!

Keta

I fish ABU 5600 reels in the ocean for salmon, just wash them down well t the end of the day.
Hi, my name is Lee and I have a fishing gear problem.

I have all of the answers, yup, no, maybe.

A man who carries a cat by the tail learns something he can learn in no other way.
Mark Twain

thorhammer

swill88

I bought a beautiful Antares DC from mikeysm here and thought it would fun casting inshore. I don't know if this model has a magnesium or aluminum frame. Anyway to tell? Anybody read Japanese?

oc1

Antares is a magnesium frame with aluminum side plates.  I had Mike's other Antares but lost it in the ocean before the first service.  Sweet reel.
-steve

swill88

Quote from: oc1 on April 11, 2017, 07:37:03 PM
Antares is a magnesium frame with aluminum side plates.  I had Mike's other Antares but lost it in the ocean before the first service.  Sweet reel.
-steve

Would it be foolish to fish it in the salt?

Steve

Bryan Young

Short answer is "YES!"

Magnesium will easily corrode with salt water exposure.
:D I talk with every part I send out and each reel I repair so that they perform at the top of their game. :D

swill88

Thanks everyone. A follow-up beginner's question; is there a way to determine whether a metal is magnesium?

Steve

theswimmer

Magnesium burns rather easily 😁
There is nothing like lying flat on your back on the deck, alone except for the helmsman aft at the wheel, silence except for the lapping of the sea against the side of the ship. At that time you can be equal to Ulysses and brother to him.

Errol Flynn

mhc

Quote from: theswimmer on April 12, 2017, 01:02:02 PM

Haha - I was thinking the same thing - it burns with a brilliant white light.

Mike
It can't be too difficult - a lot of people do it.

swill88

Quote from: mhc on April 12, 2017, 01:32:54 PM
Quote from: theswimmer on April 12, 2017, 01:02:02 PM

Haha - I was thinking the same thing - it burns with a brilliant white light.

Mike

Can I borrow your Antares? :)

mikeysm

The reels I sold you are Aluminum there is a magnesium model but the ones I sold are not. Here is the link to the specs

http://japantackle.com/shimano-antaresdc.html

Mike