Wife says they have to go.

Started by xaf, April 12, 2017, 02:39:04 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

xaf

I probably have 30 - 40 rods and reels stashed here and there about the house and garage.  My wife (and my pocketbook) says I have to get  rid of some of them before I can buy or build any more.  I know I probably won't get what they are worth (some are high end products) but I don't want to just give them away either. 

So this leads to my main question, has anyone determined the best way/place (garage sale, marine flea market, e-bay, Craigs List, etc.) to sell good quality fishing gear at a fair price? I assume that it would be best to sell them locally so you don't have to deal with shipping costs. In case I would have to ship them is, there a standard as to who normally pays the shipping cost?  I guess I should add that I would like to do it fairly quickly.  I don't want to spend every weekend for the next year sitting in the drive way trying t get rid of them

Thanks, any information or suggestions would be appreciated.

alantani

I have never found a good way to sell used fishing gear........ :-[
send me an email at alantani@yahoo.com for questions!

otownjoe

I've found online fishing sites are the best way to go.not all sites are equal though. The Buyer pays the shipping. I always use USPS flat rate with a tracking number. It's easier to quote a price and gives the buyer piece of mind. Rods can be expensive to ship and I never get as much out of them.pvc pipe for shipping tubes Is the way to go if you can find some used. Buying it from the box stores gets expensive. I've had great rods that never sold even at low prices. A good marine flea market can be a option if you can wait. They are usually a annual event if you can find one that's close to you. Good luck. Joe

Tightlines667

I heard they used to have big boating and fishing swap meets here.  Seems like a great idea, and a way good way to buy/sell or trade used gear.  I have used craigslist, Ebay, locale-specific classified sites, and larger scope forums to buy and sell stuff before.  Online opens up the market, but rhere are shipping costs, and sonetimes fees to consider.  The buyer also doesn't get to hold the item, and the seller may have to deal with a less-then-satesfied buyer.  Can result in more trouble then its worth.  Esp. On specialty items like fishing rods.  I have had alot of positive online transactions though, my best deals (on both ends) have usually been of the person-to-person variety.  

John
Hope springs eternal
for the consumate fishermen.

David Hall

The used gear market is a tough one, my philosophy always works for me.
Buy high. And sell low!

Bryan Young

Depending on the gear, sometimes Craigslist is good while fishing sites makes it sometimes easier if you have a fair price and accurate description.

eBay can be a goldmine but it can also lead to a great loss.

Good luck. It's never easy to sell used gear except to maybe friends given it's a win win deal.
:D I talk with every part I send out and each reel I repair so that they perform at the top of their game. :D

foakes

Hi Bob --

If you just want to sell a few pieces -- easy enough to do if priced fairly.

However, if you really want to sell it all --

Only you, with brutal honestly -- can answer the next questions:

What would I write a check for each rod or reel for?

Are they desirable? -- is there a market?

Is the condition good -- are they ready to fish?

Are they clean and attractive?

It doesn't matter what you think they might be worth -- if all of the stars lined up -- it only matters if you will sell them for what they will bring to a fair-minded buyer and seller.

Just for me, I would never sell rods in any venue that I would have to ship them.  Doesn't bring enough money -- and all of your time is wasted by packing, shipping, etc.  

The best dollar is brought when someone can feel the rod, examine it, check the guides, wraps, hardware, and maybe match it with a reel.

If these were mine, and in good condition -- here is what I would do:

Get on CL, make a nice announcement that you are selling lets say 24 rods and 26 reels on a particular Saturday a week from now.

Something like : FISHING TACKLE Yard Sale -- RODS & REELS --"wife sezs must all go" -- quality gear ready to go at bargain pricing --  from 7:00 to 12:00 -- One Day Only -- all to be sold -- State the brands -- have at least 8 clear pictures -- price all at around 10 % below market -- instead of a discount -- or horsetrading on each item -- just offer a 20% discount for a purchase of 3 or more items.  

You do not need to get caught up in the discounting of each item -- just politely say that they are all priced very fairly -- but you will offer a 20% price accommodation for buyers of 3 or more similar items.  That way you sell more, and offer a concession -- but are not hurt, by allowing others to hear that you are easy to grind down on the price.

Your attitude is critical -- if you value your items -- and are putting yourself in the shoes of the buyer -- and are listening instead of telling fish stories -- you control the sale.  It is like driving a car -- you determine the destination, the amount of time traveled, and the skillful operation to a successful place you want to end up at.  The car does not do the driving -- and the buyer does not determine the outcome of a sale -- you do...

And you do not want to be answering emails or phone calls for a couple of months.  Just promote the sale for a set few hours -- and allow the folks who took the time and effort to come there, to buy your offerings.  Phone calls and emails are generally just bottom trawlers -- looking for an unknowing seller, or lowball offers and pricing.  

Put up a half dozen posters showing Fishing Tackle Sale on Sale day -- this guides folks in who might have an interest -- who did not see your Craigslist offering.  The idea behind using Craigslist -- is to have more buyers who are interested in what you have to offer, come to the sale from further distances.

You want to sell everything -- not play games -- or waste time.  You are in command of the process.

If you don't have any cheap reels -- get some that you can start at $5 -- $10 -- and state: reels starting at $5 -- rods at $5.  Have a couple of buckets of cheap rods and reels ready to go.

Refresh the ad daily on CL -- changing the title slightly each day so that it goes to the top each day.

Put your general area as to the town, your phone number, and first name -- but not your address until (2) days before the sale day.  Don't let folks cherry-pick your best items ahead of time -- just tell callers that you cannot take the time to do individual sales ahead of the day -- because there is simply too many items -- and you are busy making a living, and this is just a hobby that you are getting away from -- but they are welcome to show up at 7:00.

You will have trucks, SUVs, and cars lined up full of guys an hour before your start time.

What you are doing, is creating a demand, a little mystery, some hidden bargains, the promise of a discount for multiple purchases, and setting the stage for them to come with cash in their pockets and ready to buy.

Just what I would do -- and have done many times very successfully at least 10 times over 20 years, for myself and friends.

And it costs you very little in the way of setup, expenses, and time wasted.

Prep is everything -- and make sure you list in separate regions within 75 miles of your location.

You will create excitement, draw a crowd of qualified buyers -- and likely get rid of everything you wish to move.

Just my opinions -- Good luck however you decide to proceed.

Plus the important thing -- don't take it too seriously -- have fun.

Best,

Fred

The Official, Un-Authorized Service and Restoration Center for quality vintage spinning reels.

D-A-M Quick, Penn, Mitchell, and ABU/Zebco Cardinals

--------

The first rule of fishing is to fish where the fish are. The second rule of fishing is to never forget the first rule.

"Enjoy the little things in Life — For someday, you may look back — and realize that they were the big things"
                                                     Fred O.

thorhammer

No idea. I don't think I've ever sold more than a half dozen. I just build another rod rack lol.

sharkman

From my experience no good way.  Yard sale and flea market lends to the cheaper rods and reels.  Letgo and Offer Up you have to ask way more than willing to take because everyone wants to pay half asking price. I did find a local tackle shop that purchases or trades on occasions. Good luck.

Jim Fujitani

Some tackle shops will sell rods and reels on consignment.  But stick to brands that the tackle shop does not carry, and only the better models of rods and reels, in good or better condition.  The charge is typically around 10%.

Fred has some great suggestions to follow.  Advertises yard sales are good, but never sell before hand, especially if someone comes early and makes an offer for "all of it" or early bird "packaged deals".  You will never get the best price, and often the best items will be bought off at fire sale prices.

What ever you don't sell can be donated, but make sure that it is a charitable group (501(c)3?) and you get a receipt for you tax records.

Good luck!

Bryan Young

My friends have been successful selling on Let It Go.  May look into that too.
:D I talk with every part I send out and each reel I repair so that they perform at the top of their game. :D

xaf

Guys, thanks for all the info.  I have to get everything together, do an inventory, then clean and put a shine on everything. I like Fred's idea and think I will try that first.

Midway Tommy

Quote from: xaf on April 12, 2017, 05:24:19 PM
Guys, thanks for all the info.  I have to get everything together, do an inventory, then clean and put a shine on everything. I like Fred's idea and think I will try that first.

When you do let us know how it worked out. It sounds interesting and like a good sales &/or liquidation plan.
Love those open face spinning reels! (Especially ABU & ABU/Zebco Cardinals)

Tommy D (ORCA), NE

Favorite Activity? ............... In our boat fishing
RELAXING w/ MY BEST FRIEND (My wife Bonnie)

Gfish

Xaf, can you let us know in the meantime, what you got, in the for sale section of the forum? As in: we pay cost and shipping costs.
Gfish
Fishing tackle is an art form and all fish caught on the right tackle are"Gfish"!

Decker

Reels and tackle move like currency on eBay if they are priced right.  Rods are a pain.  Craigslist is a good option for rods.