706z

Started by sharkman, April 16, 2017, 03:25:25 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

sharkman

Just purchased new 706z. The reel was running smooth until the tackle shop installed line. Now it sounds like it's scrubbing. Could they have bent the spool

foakes

Those reels are tanks, inside and out, James --

Is the scraping at the bottom of the spool travel?

Or on the inside of the rotor?

Hard to understand the scraping, unless...

-- The spool was removed to spool on line -- which is the right way -- the under gear washer could have been left off.

-- The clicker tongue under the spool may have been tweaked in the line metering machine.

-- the spool may have been dropped.

-- Spool may have been clamped too aggressively.

-- spool shaft top end may have been bent somehow.

Two right ways to install line on a spinner -- either by removing the spool, and spooling line with the machine -- or by hand.  If the spool was left on the reel-- and the reel attached to the line spooler -- and then the handle spinner was used under pressure to rotate the handle at high speed -- something could have tweaked.

Look carefully, examine the spool travel, isolate where it is rubbing -- your culprit will become evident.

Very capable reels -- strong and overbuilt.

Let us know what you find.

Best,

Fred
The Official, Un-Authorized Service and Restoration Center for quality vintage spinning reels.

D-A-M Quick, Penn, Mitchell, and ABU/Zebco Cardinals

--------

The first rule of fishing is to fish where the fish are. The second rule of fishing is to never forget the first rule.

"Enjoy the little things in Life — For someday, you may look back — and realize that they were the big things"
                                                     Fred O.

handi2

That's why I like spooling spinners by hand. The reel puts the line on just as if you were using the reel when fishing.

If the line was put on too tight it may have expanded the spool. Just a thought.

Reel it with the spool off to see.
OCD Reel Service & Repair
Gulf Breeze, FL

mizmo67

Quote from: foakes on April 16, 2017, 05:18:13 AM
-- The spool was removed to spool on line -- which is the right way -- the under gear washer could have been left off.

-- The clicker tongue under the spool may have been tweaked in the line metering machine.

These two in Fred's reply were my first thoughts
~Mo

Maureen Albertson :)
Scott's Bait & Tackle / Mystic Reel Parts (Formerly PennParts.com)
Contact Me Via Store Website Please!
Orders/Support# +1 (609) 488-4637 (parts ordering or troubleshooting)
customerservice@mysticparts.com

sharkman

Thanks everyone. It's is brand new 706z. When heard scraping stop using because wasn't doing before line spooled. Took spool off could see and signs of scraping. No scraping with spool off. I'm going to talk to owner about ordering new spool

Alto Mare

The 706Z has lots of room at the base, even if you remove the thrust washer it would be very hard to hit, you'll still have appro. 1/4" of space.
It is however very tight on the circumference of the spool to the rotor, about .30mm of clearance all the way around... the thickness of 3 sheets of your standard computer paper.
That area could rub, if something is out of alignment.  

Did you pull all the drag washers out of the spool after getting it spooled? if not, remove them, set the spool in first and add the washers afterwards.
If you happen to have another spool, try it, that would eliminate a bent shaft, it doesn't matter it is brand new, there is always a possibility.
Could be, but I don't think this is the case of the line being wrapped to tight On the spool.

Sal
Forget about all the reasons why something may not work. You only need to find one good reason why it will.

sharkman

Thanks again everyone for comments.  Alto thanks for advice hopefully I will get a chance to take a part this evening. Sorry for confusion on the spool I don't think he wound the line to tight. The spool kept slipping on the winding machine and he increasing force on the spool to hold it in place.

sharkman

So I found where the scrubbing noise is coming from. It was not the spool as I thought it is coming from manual pick up roller.

sharkman

Called and emailed Penn regarding issue. The call was customer service at its finest.  The individual agreed to ship part or parts needed once I tore down and found solution. He believes it is either a bad bearing or missing the washer cup. The email good but not as good as call. The email individual wanted me to ship reel at my cost for the roller repair. The shipping cost would cost more than the part.

foakes

For me, Penn has always been like a trusted and old friend -- always there when we need them.

Service above and beyond -- good, reliable, old-fashioned service.

Sometimes, we forget an old friend for a new one -- however, we should never take this type of service for granted.

It is the people that make the company -- not the company that makes good people.

Plus, they have good quality products that are very capable -- at fair prices.

We cannot take any of this for granted -- in this day and age.

Thanks for sharing!

Best,

Fred
The Official, Un-Authorized Service and Restoration Center for quality vintage spinning reels.

D-A-M Quick, Penn, Mitchell, and ABU/Zebco Cardinals

--------

The first rule of fishing is to fish where the fish are. The second rule of fishing is to never forget the first rule.

"Enjoy the little things in Life — For someday, you may look back — and realize that they were the big things"
                                                     Fred O.

sharkman

Has anyone ever removed roller. There is a cap over the screw. Does it just pop out?

sharkman

Got it apart. Remove the nut then roller comes off. Then reinstall nut tap gently to remove cover. Then bearing will come out of roller. Once disassembled found that the cup washer was missing. Will take pics and post reassembly.

Rickb

Quote from: foakes on April 19, 2017, 07:05:28 PM
For me, Penn has always been like a trusted and old friend -- always there when we need them.

Service above and beyond -- good, reliable, old-fashioned service.

Sometimes, we forget an old friend for a new one -- however, we should never take this type of service for granted.

It is the people that make the company -- not the company that makes good people.

Plus, they have good quality products that are very capable -- at fair prices.

We cannot take any of this for granted -- in this day and age.

Thanks for sharing!

Best,

Fred
have to say that I enjoyed reading this!
Rick b

sharkman

Camera not working. Got the reel back together and it is still making same noise. The noise is definitely coming from roller area. You can roll by hand and feel catching. I noticed when apart that the maching on the roller arm was really rough. Contacted penn waiting on them to call back

Benni3

Quote from: sharkman on April 16, 2017, 03:25:25 AM
Just purchased new 706z. The reel was running smooth until the tackle shop installed line. Now it sounds like it's scrubbing. Could they have bent the spool
don't feel so bad guess where my torque 5 at ? Nj ,,,gander mountain  ??? thanks for putting the line on for free   :o