The Ol' Harnell's- Found some butt caps!!!

Started by THBailey, April 19, 2017, 02:01:18 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

THBailey

I have several Harnell boat rods that could use a little TLC.  My interest in these rods centers on the fact my Dad bought us a couple of them back in the late 50's, a 521 for me and a 522 for Dad, complete with a couple of 3/0 Penn Senators.  I have picked up several others since.  In particular, the rubber mushroom style rod butt caps have deteriorated and I have had little success finding replacements.  I need about ten of them.  Any ideas on a source would be most appreciated.  
Thanks, THBailey

"Everyone is ignorant, just in different subjects"
                                      Will Rogers

Bill B

Cant help you brother, will have to wait for oe of the Rod Repairmen to check in.  Bill
It may not be very productive,
but it's sure going to be interesting!

Swami805

I have some old Harnells, Seems like the butt caps vary depending on the age of the rod. Try medical supply places for the tips of canes,crutches, walkers and things like that. If they have Harnell logos that would be a tough one.
Post a few pictures of your rods,love to see them.
Sheridan
Do what you can with that you have where you are

oc1

It's weird how every maker used to put similar mushroom butt caps on their boat rods for thirty or forty years, yet you cannot find one for love or money now.... except for hardened and cracked ones on vintage rods.  BTW, there's a 522 with photos up for auction now.
-steve

thorhammer

Heck mudhole and anglers workshop.  What size do you need? I may have some on old rods and will check when I return

THBailey

Quote from: Swami805 on April 19, 2017, 02:55:44 AM

Post a few pictures of your rods,love to see them.
Sheridan

As you can see, my wife is one in a million....

Thanks, THBailey

Will Rogers

THBailey

Not sure why my pictures posted upside down?
Thanks, THBailey

Will Rogers

Shark Hunter

Life is Good!

Swami805

Those are nice. You still fish them?  They look ready to go!
Do what you can with that you have where you are

THBailey

Quote from: Shark Hunter on April 19, 2017, 05:48:10 PM
I fixed them.

Well thanks so much Shark Hunter.  How?  What did I do wrong?

Thanks again.
Thanks, THBailey

Will Rogers

THBailey

Quote from: Swami805 on April 19, 2017, 07:13:39 PM
Those are nice. You still fish them?  They look ready to go!

We still use them a fair amount.  On salmon, when we have enough fisherfolk on board, we will use one or two to drag the lead balls on the sinker releases in addition to the lighter stuff on the downriggers.  Where I think they really shine is trolling the albie jigs, but it has been a couple of years since we were able to do that.  Maybe this year....
Thanks, THBailey

Will Rogers

THBailey

Quote from: thorhammer on April 19, 2017, 11:07:12 AM
Heck mudhole and anglers workshop.  What size do you need? I may have some on old rods and will check when I return

Thanks Thorhammer.  I checked all the usual suspects on line with no luck. Appreciate the offer but I would like to find some new ones if possible.
Thanks, THBailey

Will Rogers

THBailey

Quote from: oc1 on April 19, 2017, 07:20:41 AM
It's weird how every maker used to put similar mushroom butt caps on their boat rods for thirty or forty years, yet you cannot find one for love or money now.... except for hardened and cracked ones on vintage rods.  BTW, there's a 522 with photos up for auction now.
-steve

I saw one on Ebay, is that the pone your thinking about?

Thanks Steve.
Thanks, THBailey

Will Rogers

Rickb

Hi
  WOndering if you can cut down a doorknob style butt cap and make it work? I think I did years ago. ALso they wouldn't be hard to make if you have the tools and old chunks of material. Or you can reshape butt to fit as a last resort.
   Rick b

Bill B

Mr. Bailey....I just remembered.....I once took a blue rubber handball (not the racketball but the smaller handball) ground one side on a belt sander until I exposed enough of the hollow core to fit over the rod butt and presto....blue rubber butt cap. I did have to glue it in place with 2 part epoxy, but 8 years later it's still there.   Bill
It may not be very productive,
but it's sure going to be interesting!