stainless guides or rollers

Started by sturgeonhunter, May 08, 2011, 05:23:11 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

sturgeonhunter

Been chatting with fisherman for some time heard different opinions,what is your take on switching over to roller guides I have a 7' 9" Shakespeare

Tiger Rod that I use for drift fishing for halibut / striper fishing inside San Francisco Bay and shallow water rock cod fishing out of Pillar Point Harbor

I am kicking around the idea of swapping guides over to rollers.Roller guides look good on rods

Bryan Young

As you probably have already experienced, there are countless opinions about the use of roller guides.  The will be a great improvement over the stainless steel guides currently on your Tiger Rod.  The line will feed off more smoothly while dropping our lure or rig, and on a hookup, the line will come in and go out under tension very smooth.  If you have any spliced lines using knots, they do not get hung up as often as if you are using ringed guides.  The do require a little maintenance (lubrication) from time to time, and if you do cast out, it will limit your distance because the area in which the line passes through is smaller than ringed guides.

If you decide to change out your guides, I would go with the lites.  The others will be way too much for your application.

If you are going to re-wrap your rod and would like to stay with ringed guides, I would recommend the following:

Wire frames with carbide rings
Hardoloy, Alconite, or SIC rings in stainless steel frames

Shimano has a rod out that comes with lite roller guides.  It's the Talora TLA70MRG.  I've seen them at Fisherman's Warehouse in San Jose yesterday, and they had 2 of them.  Nice rods for about $80, and may fit your needs.

:D I talk with every part I send out and each reel I repair so that they perform at the top of their game. :D

Alto Mare

Would roller guides be suitable for casting?
Forget about all the reasons why something may not work. You only need to find one good reason why it will.

Bryan Young

Roller guides are suitable for casting.  The casting distance may be limited due to the increase friction of the guides since the opening is narrow. 

I do love these Aftco Lite guides on light rods. 
:D I talk with every part I send out and each reel I repair so that they perform at the top of their game. :D

Alto Mare

Quote from: Bryan Young on May 11, 2011, 05:53:45 AM
Roller guides are suitable for casting.  The casting distance may be limited due to the increase friction of the guides since the opening is narrow. 

I do love these Aftco Lite guides on light rods. 

Good to know Bryan, thanks!
A good example of " you're never too old to learn "! ;D
Forget about all the reasons why something may not work. You only need to find one good reason why it will.

sturgeonhunter

Thanks guys,I was looking at both the chrome regular and the light graphite framed guides.Bryan you seem to like the light guides are the regular

chrome guides to much to add to a 7' medium action Tiger rod rated for 12 - 30 lb test ? Also looking for someone who can swap guides for me when I

get to that quest.I also have seen lot of fishermen using the light aftco guides on rods used for live bait trips inside San Francisco Bay for Butts and

Stripers and occasionally on my light tackle rock fishing trips from Pillar Point in Half Moon Bay.

Bryan Young

The metal rollers will be okay, but will change and limit the bending action of your fishing rod.  The light guides are all single footed except for the stripper guide closest to the reel.  You will tend to use more guides and space them out appropriately, will use the blank well by equalizing the load on the blank.  Besides, with the light guides, you don't have to worry about corrosion at the guide feet.

I saw an add of a guy in Vallejo if that's close to you.  He is posted all over Craigslist.  I believe there's a guy in Oakland/Berkeley area as well, one in Fremont...Hmm, Vic Custom Rods...I think he built a rod for Alan with rollers.  His number is 1 707.430.3941.

Personally, I hate swapping guides and rebuilding rods, but will do it.  It takes 3 times as much work than building a new custom rod.  A lot of custom builder will not do it unless the rod is one that they had built.

One other thing, your blank had probably faded, and when you replace the guides, you will have some light and dark areas on the rod.  If it bothers you, you can also paint your blanks once everything is stripped and clean.

PM me if you cannot find someone to help you out.  I'll help you do it your self if you are willing to learn.

alantani

nope, not me!  i've seen his posts, though.  seems like a nice guy.  alan
send me an email at alantani@yahoo.com for questions!

Bryan Young

Alan, who built that nice custom rod for you?  Am I getting confused with the guy that fixed the CalStar rods?

Fishead

I will chime in one tidbit to keep in mind on the light aftco rollers.If you use wind on leaders tied with the no name knot with leader much over 60lb,it will bind or rub going through the guides and may cause knot failure.I put ring guides on all my rods that I will not be using for fast running fish & with the SIC ring guides,even the few fast runners I hook dont hurt the line.
If you're not fishing,you're wishing you were!!

Irish Jigger

The only issue I am aware of is with the older type roller guides when using braid. The braid gets jammed between the roller and side plate whereas the thicker mono and Dacron are OK.  Roller guides with recessed side plates are OK with braid.

Many years ago I rebuilt a beautiful little F/Glass boat rod and fitted it with very expensive set of Aftco rollers. Fitted a new reel and went boat fishing. On the first drift I hooked the bottom,applied some pressure and the rod broke just above the reel. The rod rapidly descended  into the depths along a very taut line no doubt assisted by the new Aftcos. The line broke and  I was left holding the reel.  That was the only time I ever fished with roller guides. ;D

SoCalAngler

I have a Calstar 800 XL with Aftco Light Roller Guides on it that I have had for like ten years and love it for fishing 15lb strait mono or mono to a short topper of flouro. The ALRG's are much easier to maintain than all metal rollers and are rated up to 40lb test line. I have not used them with spectra but I could see where it may get caught between the roller and the frame. Not only do the ALRG's work great for my application but they look good IMO and make a awesome sound when you catch a hard charging, line ripping fish. zzzzzzzzzzzzz I just love that sound.

Bryan Young

Note, I use wind-on leaders.  These leaders are spliced, solid spectra to hollow to leader.  20# -> 65# -> 15-40#

Aftco new guides are made with spectra in mind.  The rollers are re-designed so that it will not get caught between the roller and frame. 

Gman_WC

Another option would be to just do the roller tip and stripper guide.
I have a Calstar 665XH 6.5' 30-80 in that set-up with Fugi heavy SIC guides that I love, but don't get to use it
often. A thing of beauty for pulling YT off the bottem, or me into the rocks if not
quick on the draw. -g
Walnut Creek, CA

suitekids

Quote from: Gman_WC on June 24, 2011, 04:13:49 AM
Another option would be to just do the roller tip and stripper guide.
I have a Calstar 665XH 6.5' 30-80 in that set-up with Fugi heavy SIC guides that I love, but don't get to use it
often. A thing of beauty for pulling YT off the bottem, or me into the rocks if not
quick on the draw. -g

Yep, that's what I use, but mine are Penn Senators, not real pretty or fancy, but have worked for me for many many years they are 40-60 lb. class with roller tips and stripper, just keep them rinsed and cleaned and I suspect they will last me the rest of my life, I am currently using corrosion x on all the guides just before I hang them up on the ceiling.