Prices of vintage Dam Quick reels going up !

Started by SilverRidge, April 28, 2017, 05:24:44 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

SilverRidge

I have noticed within the past month or two the pricing on eBay and amazon of these fine reels has spiked noticeably, averaging $10-15 on good to fair condition reels, $20-30 on fine condition and hard to acquire models, the Microlite 265s are averaging $75+, 110 and 110n $45-55, even the common 550 and 270 which were going for next to nothing are $15-$25, the trick is to find a reel that some one has no clue as to is worth, as I did as a lawn sale, picked up SW68 very very cheap, I'm embarrassed to tell you the price, do I feel terrible, nope, I'm Happy, Happy, Happy like the gent on Duck Dynasty says ....

Paul

The Fishing Hobby

Still waiting to stumble on a good deal on a 110 or 110N myself. I have a Quick 1000 which is pretty nice but I'm not real fond of the bail arm setup. It bends if you look at it the wrong way. Since it is a skirted spool reel, I wish it had a bail that could easily be closed manually too.

Midway Tommy

From my vantage point, many of the quality older spinning reels have been making a comeback to the pre-2008 prices. I think it may be a combination of increased disposable income, increased collector interest and the realization by many that you can buy a higher quality vintage spinner for nickles on the dollar compared most of their newer Asian counterparts. Plus, maintenance is simpler and they just plain last longer. It sure was a nice run for my pocket book, though. I was able to accumulate a lot of quality spinning reels for use and to add to  my collection for minimal investment. 

One of the fascinations with the newer spinning reels that I've really never understood is the free-spin of the rotor/crank. It has no significance in castability, distance or accuracy since the bail is open and there is no resistance other than rod line guides. One can only crank the handle so fast on return with a bait or lure on the other end, yet I see people all the time in stores flip the crank to see how long the rotor will free spin. To me, at least, it's a non issue as long as the reel spins effortlessly.    
Love those open face spinning reels! (Especially ABU & ABU/Zebco Cardinals)

Tommy D (ORCA), NE

Favorite Activity? ............... In our boat fishing
RELAXING w/ MY BEST FRIEND (My wife Bonnie)

foakes

Quote from: The Fishing Hobby on April 28, 2017, 05:45:20 PM
Still waiting to stumble on a good deal on a 110 or 110N myself. I have a Quick 1000 which is pretty nice but I'm not real fond of the bail arm setup. It bends if you look at it the wrong way. Since it is a skirted spool reel, I wish it had a bail that could easily be closed manually too.

If you want to trade your 1000 for a fully restored Microlite 110, 110N, or a 265 Microlite -- just let me know, and I will send one your way -- and will pay for shipping both ways.

I like the 1000, and would like an extra for myself for use in the backcountry when backpacking.

Best,

Fred
The Official, Un-Authorized Service and Restoration Center for quality vintage spinning reels.

D-A-M Quick, Penn, Mitchell, and ABU/Zebco Cardinals

--------

The first rule of fishing is to fish where the fish are. The second rule of fishing is to never forget the first rule.

"Enjoy the little things in Life — For someday, you may look back — and realize that they were the big things"
                                                     Fred O.

SilverRidge

Well I guess today's your lucky day! You stumbled on to a pretty darn good deal with Fred's offering, I can attest to the quality of his restorations and rebuilds I've got three of em ... One is a gem 265 Microlite and recently received a sweet working 221 ( now my favorite ) can't remember the other one, I'm getting old fellas ..

The Fishing Hobby

Quote from: foakes on April 28, 2017, 06:34:00 PM
Quote from: The Fishing Hobby on April 28, 2017, 05:45:20 PM

If you want to trade your 1000 for a fully restored Microlite 110, 110N, or a 265 Microlite -- just let me know, and I will send one your way -- and will pay for shipping both ways.

I like the 1000, and would like an extra for myself for use in the backcountry when backpacking.

Best,

Fred
I would love to but mine has no paint, the bail doesn't kick over as it should and the arm is out of whack pretty bad. It is missing the cover for the main drive shaft as well. It will also need some drag washers or something. It has a homemade looking one in the stack and I don't think it is even complete. I wouldn't be dishonest about dealing with anyone, it needs some work and some parts. Take a look at the pics. If you have the parts for it and want to work out a deal than that is great for me but you would have some work to do with this one! I put it away after cleaning it and trying it a couple of times. Whoever had it before me bent on the arm with metal pliers or dropped it on concrete I think, it has some scratches.

foakes

That would work fine for me -- if interested, just let me know which reel you want in trade...

Thanks,

Fred
The Official, Un-Authorized Service and Restoration Center for quality vintage spinning reels.

--------

The first rule of fishing is to fish where the fish are. The second rule of fishing is to never forget the first rule.

"Enjoy the little things in Life — For someday, you may look back — and realize that they were the big things"
                                                     Fred O.

The Fishing Hobby

What are your personal thoughts on the 3 models?
I am looking for a user reel. What are the differences and which do you think would be best for me. I mostly fish for sunfish species (green sunfish, bluegill, rock bass, small and largemouth) and usually use 4lb mono with ultralight crank baits, rooster tails, and small soft plastics.
I would really like to hear your thoughts on the 3 if it isn't too much trouble. Thanks!

foakes

My thoughts are that the 110 is the strongest, and has the best support and A/R system.

The 265 Microlite is also a strong tiny reel.  It is a more attractive and a little smaller that the 110.  Plus comes with a metal spool instead of Delrin or plastic.

The 110N is a smooth reel, a few more plastic parts like all of the "N" series -- and an A/R system that is a little more problematic that the 265 or 110.  And a little larger.

Most folks do not know that the frame, side plate and gears on a 110 are the same as the 220/221.  The difference is the rotor and spool size.

All of the microlites have a high gear ratio of 5:1 -- I think the 110N is slightly lower, maybe 4.7 or 4.2 -- really no appreciable difference.

My personal choices would be the 110 or 265.  And I would lean towards the 265 for the nostalgia and metal spool.

All good reels, however.  When you get into these high quality old spinners with worm drives, oversize bearings, steel gears and brass components, the differences likely boil down to personal preference.

They are all fine and professional grade lifetime reels that are a pleasure to fish, IMO.

Best,

Fred

--------

Fred O.

The Fishing Hobby

That is a tough call between the two I like metal spool of the Microlite and the fact you may be able to find parts easier on the 110 because of the other models that have some parts that can be interchanged! I think I would go with the Microlite. It is a nice looking little reel. I will ship this one to you, I can't let you pay shipping both ways with mine needing work. I really appreciate the offer to trade. I hope it works out great for you. My email address is connellkevin76@gmail.com, if you email me you address I will get this one out to you on Monday and I can send you a tracking #.

foakes

Will do, Kevin --

You likely won't have to worry about parts on the 265 or 110 -- for clients & members, I possibly have the largest selection in the world of NOS DAM Quick parts.

Who knows?

Around 60,000 NOS parts.

Best,

Fred

--------

Fred O.

The Fishing Hobby

I need to come for a visit just LOL! I would be like a kid in a candy store!

CH

110 = best of the Quick ultralights.
Best build
right size
bulletproof
easily switched right or left hand
pretty much perfect.
Why do I think this?
1= own all of them
2= fished them all for nearly 50 years & still do
Fact is, my microlight and 110n do far more sitting than my 110.
There is a reason for this.
That said.........still all are good reels.
IMHO -- the 110N is a smoother reel, but lacks the left/right hand switch option plus the rotor/spool size is a tad too big for a true ultralight. Hence why I've come to use my 110N reels with 6lb. or 8lb  mono on a longer light rod for jigging crappie, worm fishing sauger and such.
My 110 is always 2lb-4lb test on 4 1/2 -5ft ultra light for smallmouth, trout and such.
That's my take.
Regardless --- ENJOY!
L2F/F2L
DAM Quick Addicted

handyandy

Quote from: foakes on April 28, 2017, 11:39:39 PM
Will do, Kevin --

You likely won't have to worry about parts on the 265 or 110 -- for clients & members, I possibly have the largest selection in the world of NOS DAM Quick parts.

Who knows?

Around 60,000 NOS parts.

Best,

Fred

Fred what we would do without you. With that said Fred is a great guy to deal with I bought a 110 off him great reel you won't be disappointed with one of his reels essentially a new reel. With that said I have the DAM bug bad since joining this site after acquiring an old finessa I have since gotten Fred's 110, another 110 I went through, 110N, microlite, super, super 2 speed, 220N, 221 I may have a slight problem now. Fred has helped me out more than once on parts for my reels so I could get them back in working order. Unfortunately my microlite I found had a plastic 110 spool on it. The best in my opinion would be a 110 that you put a metal microlite spool on. I have spooled my 110N with 6lb mono, the 110 with 6lb mono, and I'm trying some nano fil on the microlite in 6lb test that is something like 2-4lb diameter.

oc1

Back to the prices..... I've noticed that when reels are talked about here on AT the price goes up at the auction.  Buy the reel you want, then buy a couple of parts reels before you rave about it here.
-steve