Freedom of Speech & Consequences (from retail sales..not political)

Started by mizmo67, May 04, 2017, 09:05:19 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

mizmo67

We try to be helpful here when it comes to customer service, troubleshooting part problems, repairs, website navigational issues, you name it. If someone is struggling, I will walk you through shopping in the site..or just take the order by phone. We will respond reasonably to reasonable complaints. I like constructive criticism..it helps me improve my online store.

We have freedom of speech in this great country, but you also reap what you sow...

*RANT ON*

This is an example of NOT constructive and abusive:
"your website Sucks No confirm idiots"

Please note that this customer sent that message from the order itself..where there was an order number at the top of the screen and beneath it was the date and status of "Payment Authorized - Order is awaiting processing by our staff " since it was a new order and inventory is checked before we collect the payments.

RESULTS OF THIS KIND OF BEHAVIOR:

If someone is aggressive and rude when placing their order by phone...we will ask them to shop elsewhere.

If someone sends aggressive, derisive messages when they place their order...it will get canceled and we will ask them to shop elsewhere. If they do so afterwards...we are likely to lock/block the account.

If they are aggressive, derisive or mean when they call about an order problem, we will take care of the problem...but we are likely to lock/block the account as well.

People are welcome to speak their mind...but we don't have to take it.

Customer service does not mean you get to abuse us.

Terms and conditions of service:
https://scottsbt.zendesk.com/hc/en-us/articles/201470355-Terms-and-Conditions
Item 18. Scott's Bait & Tackle's Right to Refuse Service. Scott's Bait & Tackle, in its sole discretion, reserves the right to refuse service to anyone, with or without cause or reason.

*RANT OFF*

It's not common...I'd say 1 in 1000 orders maybe?

We have a multitude of wonderful customers! I've occasionally even had someone apologize...though that is a rare event.

Basically, treat your retail shops the way you would like to be treated..politeness matters.
People are human and mistakes happen.

And I know posting this is probably useless because the folks here in the Ohana are never an issue...I just needed to vent.
~Mo

Maureen Albertson :)
Scott's Bait & Tackle / Mystic Reel Parts (Formerly PennParts.com)
Contact Me Via Store Website Please!
Orders/Support# +1 (609) 488-4637 (parts ordering or troubleshooting)
customerservice@mysticparts.com

STRIPER LOU

Well Mo, sometimes you just have to sound off. Your website has a ton of information and even I find it easy to navigate.

I messed up on my last order and had to make an addition. Believe I spoke with your daughter and she was just as polite as could be and said it was no problem at all.

Your service is exemplary and about as good as it gets. Its ashamed that you have to put up with krapola like that.

Just don't take it personal cause you guys are great and everyone knows it!!!!  ;)

Have a great day and all the best,  ..  Lou

oc1

Just politely refund the money and suggest they'd be happier shopping elsewhere.  You have a niche market and are very good at what you do.  I guarantee the person will come crawling back, hat in hand, once they figure out what finding reel parts is all about.  Make them squirm a bit then.
-steve

foakes

Having been in retail and wholesale for the first 45 years of my careers -- in person and on the internet for the last 20.

My response would be:

"Since it is apparent that our style of business is not up to your standards -- please consider our joint business transaction canceled and concluded at this point -- the items you ordered will no doubt be available from other sources.

A full refund has been issued on your card -- and a copy of the refund is attached.

Thank you for your understanding -- and we wish you all the best..."

If they continue in this type of behavior -- just put a block on any emails, phone calls, etc..

I sold items ranging from $900 to $60K -- and the few folks that stepped seriously out of line -- were treated the same regardless of the purchase price.  I always worked 100% commission -- but would never put up with a lack of respect or crude behavior.  

These few folks have more serious problems within themselves -- than they will ever have with your firm or you.

If we thoughtfully "respond" -- instead of a knee-jerk "reaction" (no matter how good it feels for a minute) we can have a record of the dispute -- along with a washing our hands of the sourpuss -- and moving on with no bad feelings or regrets -- because we did the right thing.

While you have no obligation to these rude folks -- you also want a clear and transparent record of your response.  Because this is the day of the online shopper -- and we must take the high road in all of our actions, as they become a permanent record for all to see.

Retail is like farming -- the better you care for your acreage professionally and skillfully -- the better the quality of the crop.  Your crop is your client base.  Word of mouth is key.  And good clients, attract more good clients.

But like a crop, sometimes you need to get rid of a few weeds.

I think you handled things very well, and professionally, Mo -- Bravo!  

It is really just a laughing matter -- not to be taken seriously.

Just my opinions, of course...

Best,

Fred
The Official, Un-Authorized Service and Restoration Center for quality vintage spinning reels.

D-A-M Quick, Penn, Mitchell, and ABU/Zebco Cardinals

--------

The first rule of fishing is to fish where the fish are. The second rule of fishing is to never forget the first rule.

"Enjoy the little things in Life — For someday, you may look back — and realize that they were the big things"
                                                     Fred O.

theswimmer

Agreed to both Moes comments and Fred's.
About a year ago I told a client after she had a temper tantrum that I didn't think she would be happy with our company​.
I pulled out my personal check book and wrote​ her a substantial refund check on the spot.
She still used several 12 year old prohibited words as she went out the door.
60 Days later she called me after her third contractor walked off the job with the very polite request if "We couldn't work things out?"
Absolutely , 20% surcharge....... ::)

No reason for abuse at any time.
There is nothing like lying flat on your back on the deck, alone except for the helmsman aft at the wheel, silence except for the lapping of the sea against the side of the ship. At that time you can be equal to Ulysses and brother to him.

Errol Flynn

David Hall

I have found there are people, that no matter what you do they are never going to be happy, I found that cutting my losses short on occasion  and making a quick and clean cut I can extricate myself from any business relationship with them, and there's absolutely no room in my personal life for these kind of folks I can breath easy and count my own blessings.  In fact let me share with you all a picture paints a thousand words.  

Gfish

Yeah, a 1000 words. Gettin to work with kids of all ages, you see them in various stages of "losing their innocence ".  For me, the heartbreaker's when they learn deception.
Gfish
Fishing tackle is an art form and all fish caught on the right tackle are"Gfish"!

mizmo67

Quote from: oc1 on May 04, 2017, 09:50:43 PM
Just politely refund the money and suggest they'd be happier shopping elsewhere.  You have a niche market and are very good at what you do.  I guarantee the person will come crawling back, hat in hand, once they figure out what finding reel parts is all about.  Make them squirm a bit then.
-steve

Quote from: foakes on May 04, 2017, 10:11:45 PM
Having been in retail and wholesale for the first 45 years of my careers -- in person and on the internet for the last 20.

My response would be:

"Since it is apparent that our style of business is not up to your standards -- please consider our joint business transaction canceled and concluded at this point -- the items you ordered will no doubt be available from other sources.

A full refund has been issued on your card -- and a copy of the refund is attached.

Thank you for your understanding -- and we wish you all the best..."

If they continue in this type of behavior -- just put a block on any emails, phone calls, etc..

Fred

That's what we did when he contacted us yesterday. The order had been put on hold by the processor for management to dicuss... I try to avoid my knee jerk reactions, though occasionally I type it all out just for myself for a personal vent.

His 2nd message yesterday:
"what is your problem! "

Our response:
"Due to your initial message it had been put on hold to discuss internally.

"4/23/2017 1:54:42 PM n....bay.rr.com your website Sucks No confirm idiots"

We are not interested in doing further business with you, please shop elsewhere.
The order will be canceled. "

Payment had not been collected...we do that only after an order has been reviewed so that we can check for problems in the order or the inventory first. Canceling it automatically voids the payment authorization.

And no...he's not crawling back, nor do we want him to.
I've locked his account and no one will accept an order from him by phone, as I put notes in his file.

I accept that being in retail, we are going to run into this periodically..we've had a handful in the bait shop itself over the years that we told to please leave, we no longer want your business, do not come back as you are no longer welcome. One of those apologized and has been a great customer ever since, so go figure! We think he just liked to push people until they stood up to him.

Nice pic, David...made me smile. :)

Thanks all!

~Mo

mo65

I just can't imagine anyone thinking your website sucks. ???  It's packed with great Penn info, easy to navigate, has links to service tutorials, and the best customer service anywhere. 8)
~YOU CAN TUNA GEETAR...BUT YOU CAN'T TUNA FEESH~

broadway

I'm with Mo,  If your site stinks than what do we say for the others sites out there because as Mo said, your site is easy to navigate, chock full of info, and customer service is top notch.
Don't think twice about it, that guy was out of line and you did the right thing.
Keep up your good work,
Dom
PS- David, she's a cutie for sure!

David Hall

She is the last of my seven grandchildren and boy will she put a smile on your face.

Jim Fujitani

It is not just in retail, but also in circumstances in Public Services.  Many a time I had to apologize to citizens for misunderstandings, while knowing full well that the citizen was 100% wrong.  I would have to try to educate then acquiesce, but it would never work with a bully.  

Nowadays, after retiring, if I can tell that a retail employee (cashier in retail, for example) had a bad contact recently, I will tell them that the golden rule ("the customer is always right") is not correct.  Customers are frequently wrong, along "I am not from corporate", will frequently get a smile.  

Venting is good, and with the internet, "Blocking" is golden.  And if a Bully really doesn't get the message and bad mouths you over the web, there are avenues you can take in extreme circumstances.  

mizmo67

Quote from: Jim Fujitani on May 05, 2017, 04:57:28 PM
Venting is good, and with the internet, "Blocking" is golden.  And if a Bully really doesn't get the message and bad mouths you over the web, there are avenues you can take in extreme circumstances.  

Yes, hopefully it won't go beyond asking him to shop elsewhere. Not sure why we got the dire ire..but we don't need it.

Like I said...it's a really small percentage, because we really do try to help if approached civilly.
~Mo

oc1

If it's a hard-to-find part you'll get the order from someone else in the same zip code.
-steve

mizmo67

Quote from: oc1 on May 06, 2017, 07:42:51 AM
If it's a hard-to-find part you'll get the order from someone else in the same zip code.
-steve

Yeah, he could sneak around it if he orders from another persons computer. It's drag washers...easy to find ones.
~Mo