Interesting Issue with a 420ssg - Main Shaft

Started by coastal_dan, May 06, 2017, 02:52:21 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

coastal_dan

A friend dropped this off the other day complaining that it was 'binding' as the spool came to its bottom most decent on the rotor while cranking the handle.  When the drag was loose it wasn't too bad, but when the drag was tightened down it was un-turnable (not a word, but you get the idea ;)

I pulled off the drag knob, then spool and immediately noticed the knurled area on the shaft...'hmm, that looks odd'.  Pull up the schematic on Scotts and low and behold the knurled area was supposed to be beneath the bronze section.

After ordering the shaft from Scotts (and getting it in a speedy 2 days), replacing it and adding a little grease the reel purrs like a kitten and feels new.

My question is, what would cause this (the bronze piece) to be 'pushed' down on the shaft?  Take a look at the photos.  New is @ bottom, old is @ top.

Thanks folks.

[url=https://flic.kr/p/TfhNjy]
Dan from Philadelphia...

Where Land Ends Life Begins...

Midway Tommy

Looks strange to me, what condition was the reel in otherwise? Maybe it was never pressed all the way on from the beginning. I would think that there would be some sort of damage somewhere on the spool or reel for that much movement. Did you try to reset/press it into the correct position before ordering a new one? It's a pressed friction fit and it doesn't appear the the knurling is stripped. Interesting?
Love those open face spinning reels! (Especially ABU & ABU/Zebco Cardinals)

Tommy D (ORCA), NE

Favorite Activity? ............... In our boat fishing
RELAXING w/ MY BEST FRIEND (My wife Bonnie)

Alto Mare

I agree with Tom, I'm also thinking the spool shaft wasn't pressed all the way in from start and worked its way down. Couldn't be anything else, these reels generate around 6 lbs of drag, not enough for that type of damage.
You did good by ordering a new one, but its also a good idea to see if you could press the rest of that shaft in.

Sal
Forget about all the reasons why something may not work. You only need to find one good reason why it will.

mizmo67

I agree...it wasn't properly installed on the shaft to start with. Haven't seen that on the spinning shafts. Ratchets come off the conventional spool shafts quite often, from age and heavy use.
~Mo

Maureen Albertson :)
Scott's Bait & Tackle / Mystic Reel Parts (Formerly PennParts.com)
Contact Me Via Store Website Please!
Orders/Support# +1 (609) 488-4637 (parts ordering or troubleshooting)
customerservice@mysticparts.com

coastal_dan

Thanks all for the input, reel was in near perfect condition.  He mentioned that he just felt like it always did that, so I'll agree that it came from the factory that way.

Tight lines!
Dan from Philadelphia...

Where Land Ends Life Begins...

mizmo67

Quote from: Midway Tommy on May 06, 2017, 04:10:23 AM
Maybe it was never pressed all the way on from the beginning.

This is what I'm leaning towards...if not pressed in correctly it could work itself loose under load?
New one though...haven't seen this.
~Mo

Maureen Albertson :)
Scott's Bait & Tackle / Mystic Reel Parts (Formerly PennParts.com)
Contact Me Via Store Website Please!
Orders/Support# +1 (609) 488-4637 (parts ordering or troubleshooting)
customerservice@mysticparts.com