squid jigging in Cape Cod Bay on May 6

Started by ksong, May 09, 2017, 01:23:23 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

ksong

I drove up to Cape Cod to deliver Black Hole surf rods to Red Top on Sat ( May 6). After delivered, I asked Capt Jimmy the Greek of the On Time to go squid fishing in the afternoon. He thought I am crazy as all charter boats cancelled due to weather. But my buoyweather forecast indicated wind dropped a little bit in the afternoon with 4 ft waves.
So we went. As I expected, it was fishable condition and squid were biting.

I tested new 6'9" Black Hole Challenger Bank 691UL rod which is designed for light bucktail fluking in the bay or shallow water.  The light rod proved to be good for squid.

Cor

Really entertaining fishing for those things, especially when you don't have seals harassing you.
Cornelis

Tightlines667

I enjoy catching squid too.  Good size there.  I have a handline and an ice fishing rig dedicated to the task.  Looks like a longer, softer rod actually makes a better setup.  It's easy to reel back an arm or two instead of the squid.

John
Hope springs eternal
for the consumate fishermen.

Cor

We use the softest rods possible, they don't come off so easily then, but its just such fun.   Sometimes I use three jigs and if three take simultaneously, you can't reel them up.
And off course the best is to get the squid to squirt its ink over your buddy. ;D ;D
Cornelis

Dominick

I always wanted to catch squid.  Does anyone know if I would be able to catch squid in Baja.  If I am able, do I just put a squid jig on a rod and drop it down to the bottom ?  I'm going next month.  It is impossible to get fresh caught squid and I live close to Monterrey where there is a big squid fishery. I don't even know what fresh squid tastes like anymore.  I like squid cooked every which way.  Dominick
Leave the gun.  Take the cannolis.

There are two things I don't like about fishing.  Getting up early in the morning and boats.  The rest of it is fun.

akfish

Baja has a run of Humbolt squid -- the big guys. I'm not sure when they are there but believe me: They fight.
Taku Reel Repair
Juneau, Alaska

ksong

We fish Puerto Vallara on over night trips in Dec every year.  We catch regular squid, not humbolt squid at night. The depths are vary. You got to figure out where the concentration of squid is by fishing in different depths.

Dominick

Quote from: ksong on May 09, 2017, 07:03:10 PM
We fish Puerto Vallara on over night trips in Dec every year.  We catch regular squid, not humbolt squid at night. The depths are vary. You got to figure out where the concentration of squid is by fishing in different depths.
Ksong, are you saying that squid fishing is seasonal or can they be caught in June?  Akfish I meant regular squid not those giants, although I would fish for them if I had the chance.  Dominick
Leave the gun.  Take the cannolis.

There are two things I don't like about fishing.  Getting up early in the morning and boats.  The rest of it is fun.

ksong

I think regular squid are there year round.

MarkT

I've caught 40# Humbolts off Dana Point when they were around.  I hope they stay away!  They eat everything and fishing dies when they show up.
When I was your age Pluto was a planet!