Anyone cast their Senators?

Started by biggiesmalls, May 22, 2017, 04:52:43 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

biggiesmalls

Does anybody use a 3/0 or a 4/0 for surf casting? Looking into getting one of these for my next project - I'd be using it for casting to sharks, and possibly bull reds. Full set of upgrades would go into it - new handle arm and grip, SS gear sleeve, new drag stack, and more than likely powder coating (now that I know what can and can't be powder coated). I'd load it with 300 yards of 50# braid, and then top it off with 30# mono.

Also - planning on a 4/0 or a 4/0W project as well. This will be loaded with 100 pound braid and probably a topshot of 80 pound mono, used for bigger fish from a boat - stingrays, sharks, grouper, cobia, and maybe others. Won't be getting a one-piece aluminum frame, but it'll get all the other goods (drag, gear sleeve, handle, etc). Going on a 6'6" solid glass thorhammer.

Let me know what you think
-Drew

thorhammer

Both will cast but are way overkill for a drum. At OBX the little 525 Mag's routinely park drum over 50 lbs. Your limiter in casting any reel is really your handspan to hold the spool down, then educating your thumb. I was able to get 50 yds out of a 9/0 with a lb of lead but that isn't really practicable.  Remember you have that Daiwa 50...all aluminum and about the same as a 3/0. Carbontex drags and fish it. They are very castable and a great choice for what you want.

Next best bet is a 990 or 980 Magpower. 4/0 drags and will really sling if you do the bearings.

biggiesmalls

I'm wanting to stick with a Penn - never actually bought that Daiwa 50, I'm OCD and already have Penn spinners so I'm planning to keep everything Penn for now. It'll be mostly for sharks - if I end up getting a bull red on the setup it'll be fun, but the setup's designed to be used for sharks. I was worried about the frame torquing on the GS and the MAG series - but a 555MAG or 555GS was up near the top of my list, before I heard about this.

Decker

I have the Penn Mag 980, which is good for casting, with magnetic control.   I'm not much of a reel geek (or sharker), but my understanding from various notes on the site is that it is as strong as a 113H, yet it is more compact for casting.  Or why not a Jigmaster?   

oc1

The quintessential squidder was designed to surf cast for drum and stripers.  No Penn-head would be without one.
-steve

thorhammer

Don't worry about torqueing a Magpower; it has solid bars and you'd torque a 3/0 first most likely. You may be in the dirt first. The larger GS's are also very castable; I got a hundo easily with 545 and 20 lb mono. Sorry, I thought you had the 50 in-hand.

There isn't a 555 Mag, unless you have it magged. I recall UK got some 535 and maybe 545's but rare as hen's teeth here. Keep in mind learning to throw any baitcaster, let alone a conventional reel, at night with wind, waves and bait  is a different matter entirely than flat ground in afternoon. Buy a big spool of line, magged or not....9500ss...

Bryan Young

Hi Drew,

Yes the 3/0 and 4/0 can be used in surf casting. We even use 6/0 reels in surf casting in Hawaii, but not for me. I don't have large enough hands for the 6/0 reel.

Those reels for 30# top seems a bit large. I would steer you towards a jigmaster instead. Much easier to cast than a 3/0 or 4/0. Plus the cost of the braid to fill those two reels.

And the 4/0 or wide. 80# is much for the 4/0. Better suited is a 6/0 reel with the line strength you are talking about.

:D I talk with every part I send out and each reel I repair so that they perform at the top of their game. :D

Alto Mare

Yes there are some that cast their Senators, this guy does it best:
http://alantani.com/index.php?topic=9570.msg87518#msg87518

Sal
Forget about all the reasons why something may not work. You only need to find one good reason why it will.

Gfish

Guys Surfcasting from the shore on this island(kaua'i) are usually goin after GT's(ulua) and usin ~6oz. Wt. with a slider hook rig(with live bait, usually reef fish)and the most commonly used reel seems to be a 4/0. Many are HLW's and a fair number have upgrades(esp. Newell stuff). Me, I'mna take my chances with a surfcast-designed-spinner ana 10.5 ft Loomis that I can chuck lures with, hopefully without gettin too tired. If I's gonna go to a Senator it'ed be a 4/0, but I'd really wanna strenghen it with a non-post frame( half or full frame). Also, I'd probably mag it( magnets glued to inside of the tail plate) as the start-up of the spool at the beginning of the cast can backlash ya quickly on these conventionals.
Gfish
Fishing tackle is an art form and all fish caught on the right tackle are"Gfish"!

Army_of_One

Quote from: Gfish on May 22, 2017, 10:30:10 PM
Guys Surfcasting from the shore on this island(kaua'i) are usually goin after GT's(ulua) and usin ~6oz. Wt. with a slider hook rig(with live bait, usually reef fish)and the most commonly used reel seems to be a 4/0. Many are HLW's and a fair number have upgrades(esp. Newell stuff). Me, I'mna take my chances with a surfcast-spinner ana 10.5 ft Loomis that I can chuck lures with, hopefully without gettin too tired. If I's gonna go to a Senator it'ed be a 4/0, but I'd really wanna strenghen it with a non-post frame( half or full frame). Also, I'd probably mag it( magnets glued to inside of the tail plate) as the start-up of the spool at the beginning of the cast can backlash ya quickly on these conventionals.
Gfish

I agree Gfish.  I've never been good at casting conventionals though.  The taller rod helps keep the line above the wave break that happens near shore, and I can pendulum cast pretty well now, so I don't have to wade in anymore.  I've pulled baby blacktips on my 12 ft. penn rod with a stock 6500 SSV, on 20 lb flouro drop rigs.  I was hoping for pompano, but it seems sharks like sand fleas too.  :( 
Another day in Paradise!

Gfish

Quote from: Alto Mare on May 22, 2017, 10:21:18 PM
Yes there are some that cast their Senators, this guy does it best:
http://alantani.com/index.php?topic=9570.msg87518#msg87518

Sal

Deiter's one my reel repair hero's, for steppin over a line that I've been tempted by many times but, I just couldn't pull the trigger.
Gfish
Fishing tackle is an art form and all fish caught on the right tackle are"Gfish"!

David Hall

Hey I thought there was a no politics rule on this site?
I'd like to cast my senator into a crocodile pit!

Shark Hunter

Sand Fleas for Sharks?
That sounds like a fish story. ;D
Life is Good!

Army_of_One

Quote from: Shark Hunter on May 22, 2017, 10:39:47 PM
Sand Fleas for Sharks?
That sounds like a fish story. ;D
I have the pictures on Toni's phone.  I think we caught three that day.  That's also when I dropped one short of the surf and used a sand flea rake to get him back in the water.  :-[
Another day in Paradise!

theswimmer

Try a 2/0  or a 3/0 .
My Grandpa could huck a 2/0 as far as any Jigmaster...
Best,
JT
There is nothing like lying flat on your back on the deck, alone except for the helmsman aft at the wheel, silence except for the lapping of the sea against the side of the ship. At that time you can be equal to Ulysses and brother to him.

Errol Flynn