Do I have defective Loctite?

Started by Dominick, June 08, 2017, 12:32:24 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Dominick

I have a tube of blue Loctite thread blocker.  I never used it before.  I expected it to have the consistency of something like a loose glue (think wood glue).  However, when I point the tube at the threads on a screw the liquid runs like water.  It drips off the threads and runs all over my work bench.  It is difficult to control.  You members with experience using thread blocker please let me know if this seems right or do you think I have a defective batch of thread blocker.  Dominick
Leave the gun.  Take the cannolis.

There are two things I don't like about fishing.  Getting up early in the morning and boats.  The rest of it is fun.

steelfish

seems like the same consistency of the blue loctite, its like kids water color
The Baja Guy

Dominick

That's a good description Alex.  Runny just like that.  The Tank's handle came off after using that watery stuff.  I don't remember cleaning the screws first, something I learned since using it that one time.  Life is a learning experience. Dominick

There are two things I don't like about fishing.  Getting up early in the morning and boats.  The rest of it is fun.

Alto Mare

Forget about all the reasons why something may not work. You only need to find one good reason why it will.

STRIPER LOU

Hey Dominick,

If you have shaken it well a few drops should not run off like water. If you look at the Simple Acrylic Installation guide you'll see a few drops have stayed on the threads. Seeing how things are loosening up on you, I would re-clean everything and put a light coat across the threads. On the flanged end you wont have to worry about getting Loctite into the shaft but on the knob side your going to have to be more careful as you wouldn't want any getting in between the shaft and the tube.

Another alternative is to use some Loctite primer first. Lastly you could consider red but that usually takes heat to loosen. (never had the need for this)  I have these  set up on at least 7 or 8 reels and none have loosened up yet using the blue.

If you still have trouble, please PM me and we'll get you going.

Have a great evening,  ..  Lou

PS Agree with Sal's choice. If your not using the primer, this would be a better alternative. Auto parts store should carry it too.

Dominick

Thanks Sal and Lou.  I will resolve it.  Dominick

swill88

Quote from: Dominick on June 08, 2017, 01:38:36 AM

add a little corn starch stirring in slowly

steve

Keta

It has settled and needs to be shaken up.  Loctite 242 (blue) is thin but not that thin.
Hi, my name is Lee and I have a fishing gear problem.

I have all of the answers, yup, no, maybe.

A man who carries a cat by the tail learns something he can learn in no other way.
Mark Twain

bluefish69

I have been using Loctite 246 Medium Strength with no problems

Mike
I have not failed.  I just found 10,000 ways that won't work.

Dominick

Quote from: swill88 on June 08, 2017, 03:13:46 AM

steve
I thought the same thing,  Have you done this Steve?
Quote from: bluefish69 on June 08, 2017, 03:32:08 AM

Mike
Mike is it thick or thin?  Maybe I am using it wrong.
Quote from: Keta on June 08, 2017, 03:15:54 AM
It has settled and needs to be shaken up.  Loctite 242 (blue) is thin but not that thin.
I shook it up plenty.  Dominick

swill88

Quote from: Dominick on June 08, 2017, 03:45:08 AM
Quote from: swill88 on June 08, 2017, 03:13:46 AM

steve
I thought the same thing,  Have you done this Steve?
Quote from: bluefish69 on June 08, 2017, 03:32:08 AM

Mike
Mike is it thick or thin?  Maybe I am using it wrong.
Quote from: Keta on June 08, 2017, 03:15:54 AM
I shook it up plenty.  Dominick

I'm gonna try my new bottle of blue loctite tomorrow... looking for the corn starch

steve

Shark Hunter

Dominick,
The Blue Loctite is just thin. No matter how much you shake it.
It has worked well for me on lock down screws on handle nuts.
Even if I don't catch a shark, there is the task of reeling in a line 500 yards out with a 1 lb weight on the end.
I just be careful when applying it to the screw. I try to coat it evenly and careful not to squirt out too much.
I always have a paper towel underneath. Slather it with 2 drops at most. Slap it in and tighten the piss out of it, then wipe off the excess.
I have learned my lesson with those handle nuts too. They need to be tight, very tight.
I don't use Loctite on the nut, just the screw.
Most All my Handle screws are allen head made by Adam, because I use a lot of his handles.
Life is Good!

Gfish

Yeah, got "Prime Lok" type 245 blue, from Ace Hardware, consistancy of water.
Gfish
Fishing tackle is an art form and all fish caught on the right tackle are"Gfish"!

bluefish69

Dominick

The 246 is pretty thick. Apply to much of anything & it will run you know that. I only used it once. I think I got it from Amazon.

Mike
I have not failed.  I just found 10,000 ways that won't work.

mo65

I'm sure it's been mentioned somewhere...in all these comments...but the least little bit of oil on the threads will render locktite useless. This goes for the screw's threads and the handle's hole also.
  8)
~YOU CAN TUNA GEETAR...BUT YOU CAN'T TUNA FEESH~