Penn 9/0 build help

Started by TongassFisher, June 09, 2017, 01:05:38 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

TongassFisher

AT community, my grandfather is coming up to visit in about a month here in Alaska. He is an avid fisherman that lives half the year in Mexico. He tells me he's bringing up a 9/0 in great condition that is roughly 20 years old. We talked about having some scotch together while he and I hotrod this 9/0. Sounds great to me!

Today I ordered a black Cortez frame and plan on accumulating all the parts needed to complete this build.

Below I will list what I plan on ordering and I'm hoping for some feedback from anyone willing to chime in.

Parts list:

1 Cortez Frame

2 Stainless bridge either AT or Black Pearl?

3 Does Keta make a 9/0 Dog? Probably should order two just in case.

4 Motive Fab handle arm? Does he make a 9/0 arm?

5 I was thinking the large AT power handle would go well with the motive arm?

6 I was hoping to upgrade the drag stack but what are my options? Also what is stock drag numbers and what might I expect for drags numbers after an upgrade?

7 Those 9/0 brass gears are quite large so I'm guessing they can take quite a bit of abuse/drag numbers? Will they suffice or do I have to go with stainless?

Any opinions would absolutly be welcomed!

Thanks everyone,

Trevor

IMG_2574" border="0

thorhammer

Hey Trevor, sounds like a great plan!

-Points: I'm pretty certain Adam has arms because I believe I've seen them on all Daron (Sharkhunter) builds.
-Alan's 5/0 Kokelar is perfect for that. Daron uses them exclusively on said arm; I put them on all my International 30's. I have big mitts and they are perfect for me. For scale, a stock Int 80 handle is 3"L by 1"D at the ends. Alan's are 4 1/8"L with a taper appx. 11/8" to 1", so your thought is spot on for a souped up 115.
-If the reel is 20 years old or so, it was made in USA and POSSIBLY has a carbon steel main....VERY strong, I don't bother to spend to the money for SS if so. The brass gear will still stand about what most people will handle in a stand-up situation, especially if with mono which has some elasticity, but either way you go, my recco is get frame (you have), handle (as discussed), at least carbontex new drag kit with SS washers. All this is gonna leave you crying when you lay the hickory on if you don't get a SS gear sleeve. Next most important piece. If you bump up the drag, use steel gears and a steel power crank, your are gonna round off the brass sleeve.

-Adam has a versadrag style insert kit. Sal may weigh in but I think back some time ago someone, prolly Sal himself, got 75 lbs drag out of a 9/0. So unless you are fishing 250 lb test strapped to a pole, you may not need all that lol.

-If Keta or someone has a dog go for it.

-I'll let someone else comment on the bridge. If it were me I'd probably double dog what's in there but if the budget is there and you can find a SS one by all means Tank this thing to the finish line. My .02

Army_of_One

Look on the side plates to see if it is bushing or bearing.  The bushings will have a hex shape.  If that's the case, it might be too old to work properly with Tom's frame.  I believe Sal measured one hole off by 1/16th of an inch.  On the same note, see if the spool is one or three piece.
I would absolutely go with Keta's 9/0 dogs, again.  You can take a small amount out of the plate to install the second dog, and it's not that hard.
The drag setup is exactly the same as the 114H.  So is the main gear and gear sleeve for that matter.
I know nothing about good handle setups, so one of the more experienced gentlemen will be along shortly.
Get us some pics up if you can and we can tell you more.  Robin.
Another day in Paradise!

TongassFisher

Darn, I'll have to call him to verify if it's bushing or bearing. He lives out of state and won't have the reel here with me in Alaska until his visit mid July.

I will definitely get pictures posted when done.

Thanks everyone for the feedback this is exactly what I was hoping to get with this post.

steelhead_killer

I did one with the following:

SS Sleeve
Double SS Dogs from Keta, you will have to modify the side plates, several tutorials on the site.
Either Bryan Youngs Ultimate Drags or you can ask Adam from Motive Fab for an insert kit.
Adam's off set SS handle with the bosses 5/0 knob.
Used Tom's Frame
I agree with the above comments on the steel gear. 

Its a beast.  More drag than I will ever need.

Patiently waiting for a set of side plates to compete the beast from Tom.  I think that I will order a larger drag star from Adam when I get around to it.

Andy

><)))">

Shark Hunter

If it is bushing and has a three piece spool. You are just going to blow the spool up.
If it has a one piece spool and bearings, you are all set.
Bushing 3 piece spool reels are at least 50 years old.
There is no ss bridge available for this reel.
Fully modding one of these is going to cost around $400 in parts.
To keep costs down and still have a very fine hot rodded reel.
I would do the following.
SS 9/0 arm from Adam. $25
5/0 Grip from Alan. $35
SS Sleeve. $38
5 stack upgrade from Scott's. (Very good price for 20lbs of drag) $11.05 for a complete kit, minus shipping.
https://www.mysticparts.com/PennParts/Parts/6-114HSP.aspx
Tom's frame. $110
SS Dogs are not a must have, unless you are me. ;)
You would be in it for around $220 then. The stock gears can handle the 5 stack kit.
When you start adding an insert kit, the gears are going to have to be upgraded. That is $130 by itself for Black Pearl Gears and Adam's insert.
The picture is a 50 year old bushing reel that got every upgrade available. The Bill was $500.
JMO

Life is Good!

TongassFisher

Well the good news is it's a bearing 9/0 with the black colored spool.

I've ordered the Cortez stainless sleeve and have the stainless dogs coming as well. Also have the motive fab offset handle coming for it.

Shark Hunter, I'm going to take your advice and stick with the factory $12 drag kit you linked me to. Already have the 5/0 handle so I'm in good shape I think.

Quick question though, Motive Adam says no stainless star is available because of the thread pitch being really obscurely sized. With that info is there an available factory star that is larger than stock?

Thanks everyone for taking the time to reply,

Trevor

handi2

Hello Trevor,

Although a larger drag star would be very nice I alway use a Delrin washer under the drag star. When using this washer I turn the thick tension washer upside down. This puts the smooth side up. All this makes the drag star super easy to turn.

If you need one for under the gear and under the drag star just PM me. No charge.

Keith
OCD Reel Service & Repair
Gulf Breeze, FL

Shark Hunter

To the best of my knowledge, there is no aftermarket star available that is stronger than the factory one.
Life is Good!

TongassFisher

Keith and Shark Hunter, I really appreciate all the help!

Trevor

UKChris

Did you say it has a black spool?
Isn't that the relatively new aluminium spool (though they may have been around for 20 years now)?
Much lighter than the brass ones.

TongassFisher

Quick update,

We did the 9/0 upgrades while he was in town over some Laphroaig Quarter Cask. Everything went together so well.

Got into a handful of halibut and for 88 years old my grandfather is an inspiration. Here are a few pictures of his finished reel and some fish he caught.

Oh and my grandfather ended up shelving the 9/0 while he was here because he liked the Maxed out red light special 113h so much. I ended up giving it to him!

IMG_2650" border="0
IMG_2667" border="0
IMG_2683" border="0
IMG_2686" border="0
IMG_2697" border="0

Trevor

TongassFisher

One more of the 9/0 thanks again everyone for the help, oh and thanks AKFISH Bill for getting me some 9/0 screws!  

We happened to drop a few down the heater vent as you can see from the missing screw in the picture.
IMG_2696" border="0

Army_of_One

Looks good!  It's nice to make your elder's happy, and it appears you did just that.
Another day in Paradise!

Shark Hunter

Thanks for taking us along.
Congrats to you and your gramps. ;)
Life is Good!