"Springer Knot"

Started by Keta, June 11, 2017, 06:48:15 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Keta

Has this been posted and I missed it?  It looks easy and is highly recommended by fishermen
I respect.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DDokeGDkAt8&feature=share
Hi, my name is Lee and I have a fishing gear problem.

I have all of the answers, yup, no, maybe.

A man who carries a cat by the tail learns something he can learn in no other way.
Mark Twain

bhale1

Lee,
Do you know what range of line that knot can tied with...I mean from the people you know that use it??
I like the whole series of knots he tied that day and put on YouTube. All simple and effective.
Brett

Keta

A man who carries a cat by the tail learns something he can learn in no other way.
Mark Twain

bhale1

Lee,
Yep.....think I'll just stick with the San Diego jam, and Palomar for my fishing. Simple to tie, so can cut an re-tie easily ;D
Brett

Keta

I use the SD most of the time.

Mark Twain

Benni3

This looks good,,,thanks

Normslanding

I need to chime in. The knot can be tied in ANY size line. This is a advantage to all that use line over 60lb test. The San Diego, Palomar, and my good friend Joe Miller's knot do not tie well over 60 lb. There are some that use it in lieu of crimping. Because of it's small profile it is gaining popularity with fly fisherman. There was someone that got the name wrong on (I think the Royal Polaris) and the name is still floating around. The name is the "Spangler Knot" you will not find any mention of "Springer" until I brought it to light in my posts on "Bloody Decks". The knot is also published in Jeff Buorroughs book, "For the love of long range fishing San Diego style". I hope you find it of value to you all.

Swami805

I'll have to try that one. I use a paiomar on lighter line and a double san diego over 60lb.
Do what you can with that you have where you are

Sluggo

Is the knot John ties In The video different than the one in jeffs book ? It looks like John doesn't create the third loop or go through it with the tag end steps 3&4 in the link
https://internal.bdoutdoors.com/2014/05/1056307_b96971677e6227388006869782475467.pdf

Tightlines667

I decided to crimp/double swage my swivels w/100&130lb mono mainline.  

This knot may be a good alternative for my mid-sized (80-150lb) live bait bridle hook-leader connection.  I had been using a Uni Knot or Double Uni.

My favorite knot for lighter line trolling has always been

"The Darby Knot"
... I call it "The Bermuda Knot"...

http://www.panchdara.com/Panchdara/Darby.htm

I use a Bimini Twistfor leader to mainline connection.

I use an FG Chain for spectra to heavy mono topshot.  

I like the "Fishermen's Knot"or "Trilene Knot"or tieing nonsnelled light hooks/light lines.

When live baiting or chunking with 40-60lb mono for bigger fish on non-ringed hooks I like the "3 Turn Albright"cause it forms a loop.  

For same sized (especially with heavier) mono connections I use the "Blood knot".

The only other one I use (other then snelling, and rigging dropper loops), is the "Improved Albright" for connecting double lines.

As I said my greatest go-to confidence knot..for when things get serious, is the "Bermuda knot".
Hope springs eternal
for the consumate fishermen.

MarkT

Spangler and 4 turn uni in 80#.  You need to be careful with the Spangler to not have the loops cross. If it clinches tight I think you have it right. A uni you can tie with your eyes closed on a pitching deck on the way to Guadalupe. The Spangler is smaller but not that much smaller.
When I was your age Pluto was a planet!

boon

A much larger knot but one that anyone can tie and works well with very heavy mono is the AG Chain knot. Also if anyone can find a mono knot that beats it in a back-to-back strength battle I will be surprised, it's crazy strong.

Normslanding

The knot John is tying is discussed in the posts on Bloody decks, under my original post "New Knot". It is two wraps in lieu of a overhand knot around the original loops. It has a flaw as as the knot cycles (pensioned and relaxed it can unravel) and is more likely to fail.
If you are tying the Spangler correctly it is not prone to the loops crossing. The three turn version is a little trickier, and I use it only in big stuff that is easy to work with. The Palomar is a good example of a knot that tends to cross. This is why the Spangler is consistent, and especially in small stuff that you can't really see without magnification. If you google it Jeffs PDF file will pop up. It is easy to follow. One thing I have learned and was also told by Joe Miller (Miller Knot) is that is hard for for people to change to something new. Have fun with it, and use what you like.

Sluggo

Thanks gonna have to practice on that one

Benni3

Been running my line 3 times in the hook eye it has made a big difference with 8lb test,,,,thanks for your help  ;D keta