Inexpensive Creative Lures

Started by FlipFlopRepairShoppe, June 24, 2017, 04:57:16 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

FlipFlopRepairShoppe

I enjoy making lures from odd things.  Today I was walking through a craft store with my best friend and I stumbled upon these silicone glow-in-the-dark strings in the clearance section.  This is what ensued.

I took one of my first lure blanks which had a blow through and cut in in half.  I used the good half and attached a piece of double sided tape.  

The silicone string I wrapped around my hand to get uniform lengths, then I cut it top and bottom.  I did about ten wraps.  Then I stuck the string to the double sided tape, superglued it on every centimeter or so because they would fall off, and then wrapped the glued string in place with some nylon cord.  I then superglued the heck out of it.

I decided to use some glow in the dark acrylic paint on the body, thinking that it wouldn't hurt anything.  It doesn't show up as well as the glow pigment in the silicone, but it was worth a shot.  I hit the whole thing with a polyurethane dip and will toss it at some fish tomorrow night when I go out.

I promise to get better pictures of the two that I made up tonight after the polyurethane is dry in the morning.

The end result is not pretty, but I bet it will get some strikes after dark. Or at least the fish can follow it and throw a sweet rave party.

Do not seek to follow in the footsteps of wise men. Instead, seek what they sought. -Matsuo Basho

Shark Hunter

You go Flip Flop! ;)
No matter what anyone says, you have my attention.
Lets see some fish. ;D
Life is Good!

thorhammer

Like it. I think I have some gid paint.  I'll throw it in your box

Rancanfish

Can I ask what kind of fish is being chased? 
I woke today and suddenly nothing happened.

FlipFlopRepairShoppe

I'm not targeting a particular species, but rather a wide variety of species.  The shoreline here in Destin, in particular where I fish, is a weird mix of shoreline and almost sand flats.  I get into areas that are super shallow and have minimal wave action, like 1-2 feet, spanning a two trough sandbar run.   I've caught everything from pompano, to small permit, bluefish, ladyfish, whiting, amberjack, small sharks, and stingray.   I like to stay on topwater and just see whatever is interested.  

Squid is something that everything around here eats, so I thought that a bait that kind of emulated a squid might catch some fish.

Plus, it was fun to make.  

Thank you Thorhammer!
Do not seek to follow in the footsteps of wise men. Instead, seek what they sought. -Matsuo Basho

FlipFlopRepairShoppe

Here are a couple of better pictures after the polyurethane cured.  I'm going to rig a steel leader that slips through the lure body, incorporates two through-drilled weights, and a single J hook.  With the weights as far aft it should enable this thing to be flung a good distance. 

They remind me of an old school rig that I saw as a kid, but have no idea what it was called.

FlipFlopRepairShoppe

Also, Thank You Shark Hunter!

I was going to go fishing tonight but the traffic is ridiculously backed up on the Midbay bridge, which for those not familiar is the only connector from the mainland to Destin for 20 miles in either direction. It's a three mile long two lane bridge, and all it takes is one idiot.  Looks like it's tomorrow at the earliest.  Guess I'll just have to rig more tackle....

Shark Hunter

I only cross that Bridge for one reason. Mcquire's.
I love to visit, but don't think I could live there.
I usually stay in Navarre.
Life is Good!

handi2

At certain times of year we catch small squid right off the dock. Three are about 6" long.
OCD Reel Service & Repair
Gulf Breeze, FL

FlipFlopRepairShoppe

I understand completely, Shark Hunter.  Stu, Chris, and Steve are my favorite bartenders there.

Handi2, that's awesome to know!  I had to push my next trip off until this upcoming weekend, but it's going to be epic with all of this new tackle that I've rigged.

sdlehr

Quote from: FlipFlopRepairShoppe on June 27, 2017, 02:04:26 AM
I had to push my next trip off until this upcoming weekend, but it's going to be epic with all of this new tackle that I've rigged.
OK, we're waiting for the report. You're gonna put hooks on that plug before you throw it, right? :)
Sid Lehr
Veterinarian, fishing enthusiast, custom rod builder, reel collector

FlipFlopRepairShoppe

You're a genius!   That's why it was so hard to catch the fish before........*writes down in notepad*

Sorry that the report is coming so late.  Just started a new job, rolling sushi,  after two months of  downtime, so I went from zero to nearly sixty hours this week.  Please bear with me.  I'm hoping to go Saturday after I get off of work that evening.