Help with identifying a reel

Started by Indyfisher, June 24, 2017, 04:22:31 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Indyfisher

What is the big Abu reel in this picture?  

mizmo67

Stumped ...it looks familiar but I can't remember the model. From back in the 80's, I think
~Mo

Maureen Albertson :)
Scott's Bait & Tackle / Mystic Reel Parts (Formerly PennParts.com)
Contact Me Via Store Website Please!
Orders/Support# +1 (609) 488-4637 (parts ordering or troubleshooting)
customerservice@mysticparts.com

Indyfisher

I'm stumped as well, it looks like an ultra mag but a lot larger than any I have seen or can think of might be the rare V or VI. ???

mhc

I think you are right Indy, either a XL V or XL VI ultra mag. If you can get a measurement or two, width between inside frame plates would help,  I could tell you which one it is.
Here's a photo of an ultra mag XL V that is 2 3/16" between the inner frame plates.

And the width compared to a 6500 C3

Mike

It can't be too difficult - a lot of people do it.

Indyfisher

Mike I don't own that reel it's on eBay listed as a parts reel. I know they are rare and difficult to get parts for, I was trying to help someone that needed parts for a VI. I don't have a use for the reel but I do like your 6500 two speed and own one myself.
Richard

mizmo67

I think you are on the right track there, Mike. Size and shape look right so that's probably the series.
~Mo

Maureen Albertson :)
Scott's Bait & Tackle / Mystic Reel Parts (Formerly PennParts.com)
Contact Me Via Store Website Please!
Orders/Support# +1 (609) 488-4637 (parts ordering or troubleshooting)
customerservice@mysticparts.com

Gfish

Yeah, I have the "XL V". The "Flea-Bay" reel's missing the Id. decal on the top-front bar. Probably a XL V or VI, not sure 'bout the looks of the XL IV. What'ed be the differences between the XL V & VI, besides the width, if any?

Cool reel. I dislike only the graphite left-side plate. The spool bearing, clicker(with some kinda plastic spring mechanism) and mag. system are all built into the removable graphite spool cover. Way too much graphite(plastic) for me, especially all the attachment points. Graphite(plastic) can deform over time.
Gfish
Fishing tackle is an art form and all fish caught on the right tackle are"Gfish"!

Indyfisher

Probably just a little bigger spool width if it stands like the I, II, III and so on. They're just on an enormous scale.  ;D

Indyfisher

Gfish if you have the extra $ I would jump on that sucker. I don't own one or know a lot about them but I'm sure the V and VI have some interchangeable parts. Parts I can't locate anywhere on the earth.