Penn Mag Power 990 Help

Started by xjchad, June 28, 2017, 04:59:30 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Porthos

IMHO, a 113H power handle works better for retrieving.

YMMV.

vilters

you could always add a different handle and save the original, I did. I also added a stock drag star from a 113H, it's larger.

Alto Mare

I agree with the two gentlemen above, that tiny barrel knob doesn't do it when retrieving under pressure.
Good idea to keep the original, as vilters mentioned.

Sal
Forget about all the reasons why something may not work. You only need to find one good reason why it will.

Decker

Apologies in advance if I am hijacking here... 

Sal, do you know of any unpublished interchangeability between the main gear of the 990 (5-990) and another reel? 

Rancanfish

Joe, Sal may have experimented with the 5-990 and know of something, but I haven't found any thing as far as cross reference. 

I know you probably checked too.

Do you have something you want to try it on?
I woke today and suddenly nothing happened.

Decker

Quote from: Rancanfish on August 23, 2017, 02:14:34 PM
Joe, Sal may have experimented with the 5-990 and know of something, but I haven't found any thing as far as cross reference.  

I know you probably checked too.

Do you have something you want to try it on?

Thanks.  I don't have a 990 or any of its parts, but gear sleeve is shared with the 349.  Likewise, the 980 has a gear sleeve in common with the 113H.    I saw a 990 main gear and pinion for sale and wondered if it could be used in some other reel, to get a higher gear ratio (4.7:1 in a 990).    

I'm no reel pro, just a techie with an imagination  ;D

xjchad

Well after fishing it A few more times, I decided that although I love the classic look of the original handle, I really wanted something with more power and comfort.
Here's what I decided to try next.
Husband, Father, Fisherman

Alto Mare

That's more like it. The original is nice, but just too small for that reel.

Sal
Forget about all the reasons why something may not work. You only need to find one good reason why it will.

Decker

Two questions about the 990:

1) Will it hold enough braid for deep dropping up to 1000 feet?  Scott's, correction "Mystic," lists the capacity as 325 yds/30lb mono.  Might it   hold 500+ yds of 65lb braid?

2) Any word yet on a 5-stack drag for this reel?

I'm totally inexperienced in deep-dropping but would like to get outfitted.  Probably 990 could also work for smaller tuna,  Any experience with this?  I'm East Coast.

xjchad

Quote from: Decker on July 12, 2018, 07:18:13 PM
Two questions about the 990:

1) Will it hold enough braid for deep dropping up to 1000 feet?  Scott's, correction "Mystic," lists the capacity as 325 yds/30lb mono.  Might it   hold 500+ yds of 65lb braid?

2) Any word yet on a 5-stack drag for this reel?

I'm totally inexperienced in deep-dropping but would like to get outfitted.  Probably 990 could also work for smaller tuna,  Any experience with this?  I'm East Coast.

1) I'm pretty sure the 990 will hold at least 500 yards of 65 lb. braid.

2) I sent Bryan a gear and metal drag washers awhile back, but he's been super busy so I'm not sure if he's gotten to it yet.

3) I'm inexperienced with deep drop fishing as well, but I think there's probably other reels that are better suited for the job.  I do love those Mag Powers though  ;D
Husband, Father, Fisherman

thorhammer

990 will hold about 500yds 20 mono, which would be close to 500 of 80lb braid (depending on the brand). I think a 4/0 would give you more retrieve with more power due to spool size and you the other bits for it. Remember even you have a drag kit and a power handle you still have brass sleeve and gears, which aren't all that common to replace.

Decker

Quote from: thorhammer on July 13, 2018, 02:27:38 AM
990 will hold about 500yds 20 mono, which would be close to 500 of 80lb braid (depending on the brand). I think a 4/0 would give you more retrieve with more power due to spool size and you the other bits for it. Remember even you have a drag kit and a power handle you still have brass sleeve and gears, which aren't all that common to replace.

Thanks, John. That is encouraging.  If I'm not mistaken, the SS sleeve for the 113H will work on the 990; stock is the 98-349 sleeve.  Some 990s came with SS gears -- pretty sure mine has them.  Spool diameter is definitely smaller than a 4/0, but the 990 retrieve ratio is listed as 4.7:1.

My impression of deep-dropping for tilefish (and other species) is that fighting the fish is less the problem than hoisting up weight from very deep.  When I go out, I'll probably bring both a 4/0 YTS and the 990.  Other than that, I'm not sure what I would use a 990 for...  not surf fishing when a 980/970 will do, and I don't troll.  Maybe deep-dropping is a good niche for this reel -- maybe not.

thorhammer

Lemme know how the sleeve works. I'm building one too :)

Decker

Quote from: thorhammer on July 13, 2018, 05:18:56 PM
Lemme know how the sleeve works. I'm building one too :)

I'm a dreamer; you're a doer ;D  I never have time to do the things I dream up.

thorhammer

ha.....I have been in the "do" phase on that reel for over a year...but close, very close....