*** PHOTOBUCKET Is Now CHARGING For 3rd Party Hosting - $400 / yr ! ! !

Started by ez2cdave, June 29, 2017, 03:47:15 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

whalebreath

Test

OK I see what's happening now and it's something I sort of expected.

ez2cdave

ez2cdave

Quote from: sdlehr on June 29, 2017, 04:43:47 PM
I just checked, my photos are still there, although I've not added to them for over a year. I'm also hosting elsewhere. For anyone else that didn't know, 3rd party hosting is what we do when we store our photos on Photobucket and then use links in our posts to link to those photos. The forum becomes the 3rd party, or the user of the forum does, it doesn't much matter.

If photobucket decides to not allow 3rd party access to photos stored on their site this forum is going to suffer a tremendous hit when (I presume) most people will not fork up the $40/month to maintain access to those photos. I imagine the vast majority of the photos on this forum are stored on Photobucket servers.

Sid

I have made it a point to NEVER post photo's from an online host, UNLESS a Forum REQUIRES linking to a picture, rather than UPLOADING it. Otherwise I always upload directly from my computer.

Tight Lines !

ez2cdave

Quote from: sdlehr on June 29, 2017, 04:43:47 PMIf photobucket decides to not allow 3rd party access to photos stored on their site this forum is going to suffer a tremendous hit when (I presume) most people will not fork up the $40/month to maintain access to those photos. I imagine the vast majority of the photos on this forum are stored on Photobucket servers.

Sid

It is already happening here . . .

http://alantani.com/index.php?topic=11570.0

Tight Lines !

ez2cdave

Midway Tommy

Love those open face spinning reels! (Especially ABU & ABU/Zebco Cardinals)

Tommy D (ORCA), NE

Favorite Activity? ............... In our boat fishing
RELAXING w/ MY BEST FRIEND (My wife Bonnie)

oc1

Sounds like a shakedown to me.  You face the same fate with any photo sharing site when they decide it's time to monetize what they've built.

You own web site will only cost about ten bucks per month for hosting and twenty or so per year for the domain registration.  If you don't like the hosting service just move your photos to a new host.  The photo link on the discussion forum will not change as long are you keep your domain hosted somewhere.
-steve

Shark Hunter

I received an email from photobucket that my account was restricted unless I upgrade.
I have been done with them for a while now.
I played their game and now they think they can hold my pictures for ransom, like a pirate.
It is taking effect as I speak, links to posts are disappearing.
It is like A Wrecking Ball to all our precious pictures that took so much time and effort.
I can take more pictures.
They are not getting a dime from me.
I really think this will be their demise.
We can all pull together and post more pictures to our links.
We will push forward without them.
We have to. ;)
Life is Good!

Cadman

So how do you move your photos from Photo bucket to another photo hosting website? Pardon my ignorance. I assume the links will not work when this is done?

Rothmar2

Yep, same question from me too. Renders all the threads I have done seemingly useless. I'm not paying a cent.
Sayonara Photobucket.

broadway

I would also like to know how we get our stuff from S**t Bucket onto a new platform?
Thanks
Dom

Tiddlerbasher

Here is one way Move Photos from Photobucket to Flickr:

Go to http://photobucket.com/ & sign in to your account.
    Click "Library" located at top left corner of the window.
    Select "View Library" option.
    Open an album where photos are located.
    Select the photos which you want to download.
    You will see "Media options" located right side of the window.
    Click "Download".
    Your browser prompts you to save .zip file, then click "Save" and specify a location to download. The downloaded zip file will
    contain the photo from the Photobucket.
    Your photos will now be downloaded to computer.
    Go to https://www.flickr.com/ & sign in to your account. If you don't have an account, then create one.
    Click "Upload" button located at the top of the window.
    Click "Choose photos & videos" button to upload photos.
    A "File upload" window opens up. Browse & select photos which you want to upload.
    Click "Open" button.
    You have another option to upload the photos i.e "Drag-and-drop". Here you can simply drag your photos directly from your
    computer to a location in your Flickr account.
    This is how you can move photos from Photobucket to Flickr.

The above info was copied from picbackman.com
That will at least mean you have a copy of your photos (or videos)

The main problem is changing the link in all of your posts >:(

sdlehr

Photobucket changed there terms of use two days ago. This is what it now says, but I don't understand the difference between "image linking" and "3rd party image hosting".

Available Plus Account Plans : Photobucket offers the following Plus Account Plans:
o Plus 50 Plan: 52 GB of Storage for $59.99 / Year. The Plus 50 Plan does not allow any image linking or 3rd party image hosting.

o Plus 100 Plan: 102 GB of Storage for $99.99 / Year. The Plus 100 Plan allows for unlimited image linking but does not allow 3rd party image hosting.

o Plus 500 Plan: 500 GB of Storage and unlimited bandwidth for $399.99 / Year. The Plus 500 Plan allows for unlimited image linking and unlimited 3rd party image hosting.
Sid Lehr
Veterinarian, fishing enthusiast, custom rod builder, reel collector

mo65

I even see folks avatars are being held hostage too! Weird though...mine are hosted by doo doo bucket...why haven't they disappeared? Maybe I'm still on the chopping block? :-\
~YOU CAN TUNA GEETAR...BUT YOU CAN'T TUNA FEESH~

sdlehr

I don't think Photobucket is going to delete all these pictures, they are just going to limit access to forums (fora?) as you have seen. The pictures will probably still be there, so we have time to figure out what to do with this.... but unless Joe or someone figures a way to take care of this digitally it is going to be a major amount of work to rebuild links to all posts....

Sid
Sid Lehr
Veterinarian, fishing enthusiast, custom rod builder, reel collector