Don't Throw Out Those Old Shakespeare Sigmas!

Started by foakes, July 05, 2017, 08:14:58 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Shark Hunter

My parts reel came and I took the shaft out.
I put a magnet on both and the shaft is not aluminum.
I just thought it was, because it was so easy to bend.
Upon further inspection, I think this reel was gone over and the shaft was heated, I noticed a discoloration and the bearing had the shield removed. The new shaft was true and I made the reel whole and plan to put it in my surf fishing arsenal.
I have a lot of reels I would like to work more, but my hands are so cracked and sore from the cold weather.
I was just happy to finally get this one done.
Life is Good!

The Fishing Hobby

Congrats on getting it going! If it was heated it must have lost its temper and rigidity. Wonder why anyone would do that?!?

Midway Tommy

Love those open face spinning reels! (Especially ABU & ABU/Zebco Cardinals)

Tommy D (ORCA), NE

Favorite Activity? ............... In our boat fishing
RELAXING w/ MY BEST FRIEND (My wife Bonnie)

thorhammer

I used to fish behind a dam where break offs were very common every few casts....go broke using Stren. We all used the Sigma line which handles exactly like clear blue fluorescent Stren: easy to cast minimal memory at half the cost. I don't think they make it anymore.

grekim

I have a spool for an sigma 40 and no recollection of where it came from or if I ever had the rest of the reel.  I do have an alpha 40 and an alpha 50.   The 50 has never been fished.  Not to change the subject, but were the alphas any good?
Educating fish on every trip

Shark Hunter

I can't help you on the Alpha's. I don't know anything about them.
I recently bought the Sigma 080.
What a Tank!
There are issues with the bail. Someone removed the bail stop.
I think my 040 parts reel is going to come in Handy, because it looks the same.
Life is Good!

The Fishing Hobby

Quote from: grekim on December 31, 2017, 01:21:51 PM
I have a spool for an sigma 40 and no recollection of where it came from or if I ever had the rest of the reel.  I do have an alpha 40 and an alpha 50.   The 50 has never been fished.  Not to change the subject, but were the alphas any good?
The Alphas weren't too bad but (at least on my Alpha 2100b 035) they didn't use bushings for the main gear drive in the body or side plate...it is just aluminum.

Shark Hunter

The 040 Bail stop worked! ;D
Happy Day!
Life is Good!

foakes

Good work, Daron --

And now we all learned something!

Best,

Fred
The Official, Un-Authorized Service and Restoration Center for quality vintage spinning reels.

D-A-M Quick, Penn, Mitchell, and ABU/Zebco Cardinals

--------

The first rule of fishing is to fish where the fish are. The second rule of fishing is to never forget the first rule.

"Enjoy the little things in Life — For someday, you may look back — and realize that they were the big things"
                                                     Fred O.

foakes

Looking through a bunch of totes and bins this morning for parts for members.

Sound this old Shakes Sigma 035 Pro with a metal body, rear drag, folding bail, and SS bearings.

9 oz. on the nose.

Appears to have never been used or mounted on a rod.

Broke open the side, removed the original grease, relubed with TSI321.

Beautiful little skirted spool with a push button spool release.

It was in a return bag from an old closed tackle shop.  Missing a lock washer for the bail.  Fixed that -- now it is ready.

Best,

Fred
The Official, Un-Authorized Service and Restoration Center for quality vintage spinning reels.

--------

The first rule of fishing is to fish where the fish are. The second rule of fishing is to never forget the first rule.

"Enjoy the little things in Life — For someday, you may look back — and realize that they were the big things"
                                                     Fred O.

festus

Found this ad in a 1990 Field and Stream when the Sigmas were on a spring sale marked down to $21.88 at KMart.  I remember using Sigma monofilament years ago but haven't seen it lately.  One other note, both the Mitchell 300 and 308 were $24.00 in the same ad.  Made in Taiwan models l suspect but they were still decent reels.

Fred, you have more (and better quality ) reels than our local Dick's Sporting Goods, Walmart, and Academy Sports combined.

Shark Hunter

That gold spool Sigma is a different breed from the original.
I did my best to tear the 080 down, but I couldn't completely remove the main gear from the frame.
I struggled with it for a while, but I came out on top.
This reel is about the size of a 9500ss or a Dam Quick 270.
I plan on spooling it and fishing it in the surf.
Life is Good!

foakes

--------

Fred O.

Reelmeneer

I am in search for a bearring for the 2200-040 series. Does anyone know where to find? Or maybe the dimensions so I can look around? Living in the Netherlands...

Regards,

Ed

Paul Roberts

The Sigma's (2200 -front drag; Supra, Pro -rear drag) were very good reels: hypoid gear train, steel shaft (stainless in SW sizes), pre-pinion AR, slim metal bodies, metal spools. We sold quite a few of them in the shop I worked at in the 80's. The Alpha's were a lower quality series.

Sigma monofilament was an interesting line. It was Teflon impregnated offering friction resistance that was demonstrable. Run a length through a ceramic guide on a rod and rub the line vigorously back and forth. Other monos would heat up and break quickly. But the Sigma line would not! Quite impressive, although I saw little practical benefit as few line breaks tended to happen via the guides. And lines would not heat up under water. Sigma disappeared not long after its reputation was sullied by a run of defective batches.