Penn Senator 12/0 rod suggestions?

Started by Saaben, July 09, 2017, 01:21:46 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Saaben

Well I finally upgraded to a 12/0 or should I say 116. I found one on Amazon that had been returned and it arrives tomorrow. I have a 9/0 paired with the Senator Rod from their website listed as 60-80lb test. I am using 80lb test line. I really just needed to drop deeper or farther out. I plan on running 80lb line on the 116 as well but was curious if anyone had any suggestions for a rod? I think I am leaning to a a 100lb rod line weight. Thanks

biggiesmalls

What line are you planning on running? Will you be doing any modifications to it, like a new drag stack? Also, what's the setup going to be used for? I have an idea but I'll let you confirm it :)

Those are a few important things to get some ideas. We've got a few awesome rod builders on the boards that will give you a great opinion - John built my 50-100 for the 9/0 and it's quite a looker.

Shark Hunter

Saaben,
I'm Sorry I didn't provide you a 12/0.
If that reel is new. I would grease the stack with Cal's. The newer ones usually come dry.
Unless you want to go Custom. I would suggest a Billfisher 50 to 100.
You can usually get this rod for less than $100. Conventional guides 6' or less.
If you want to keep it on the cheap, You can always get a Davis.
I run both of those, but my standard is a Rainshadow 80 to 130 E glass.
This rod is a Cadillac for Shark fishing from Shore. Lots of Backbone.
I would spool that 12/0 with straight 100lb mono. Sufix is my preference.
It will hold close to 1000 yards. Plenty for a 300 to 400 yard drop.
JMO
Life is Good!

Saaben

Hey Shark Hunter, no worries and certainly no apology needed. You and the board have been a big help. I will take a look at both the rods. I may have a chance to go down there for a quick day trip at the end of the month. I fished hard this week and only ended up getting a small one to the shore before it threw the hook. That was it for the week and I fished every day hard. Interestingly enough when I was taking bait out there I ran into one on the surface. Another swam up under my Yak and was checking me out which was fantastic. One of the problems I think I ran into was the water temp was pretty warm. With my 9/0 I could only get out around 300 yards before I was concerned about having enough line to fight one. The second sand bar was out there but I kept having to explain to them that I needed line on my reel to fight. The wife finally said get the damn thing. Interesting when I first started with nothing I had some nice hook ups right away. Now I am obsessed and spend a lot of time and money preparing to go etc and have a rough week like this week. Only makes me more determined. Again your input is appreciated. In regards to Alan, cancer has recently affected my family as well and my thoughts are with you guys that support his site. Thanks Shark Hunter. Stay tuned as the next question is going to be how to grease them damn drags!!

Saaben

Hi Shark Hunter, I have been looking at rods online today. Was curious if you had an opinion on either of these?http://www.ebay.com/itm/Davis-Big-Game-Saltwater-Fishing-Rod-Standard-Line-Guides-80-100-lb-/253035765654?hash=item3aea1b5f96 or http://www.ebay.com/itm/Davis-Big-Game-Saltwater-Fishing-Rod-Trolling-Roller-80-100-/253032097489?hash=item3ae9e366d1? Not sure I copied the link right. I looked high and low for Bill Fisher 50-100 lb for around $100 and was not successful. Both these rods look like they are 80-100 lb is that a big difference from 50-100? It looks like either of these are with shipping would be around $100 which would be ideal. I really appreciate your advice so thanks!!

Shark Hunter

The Davis are made in China. I think there older models were better.
If I had to pick. I would get this one. It is a Tank for the money.
Still entry level, but a good buy. Quality is better than the Davis.
Solid Glass Blank, Turbo guides. Rated 50 to 130.
I might buy one of these myself. ;)
http://www.ebay.com/itm/Sea-Striker-SSU50130C-BillFisher-Stand-up-Rod-5-Ft-9-22309-/361963036678?epid=1385760314&hash=item5446ada006:g:yuAAAOSwvKtY~8dq
Life is Good!

Saaben

That looks just about perfect. May be a dumb question but will the reel "seat" support the 12/0's bracket on the bottom of reel and the weight? Thanks

Shark Hunter

I'll let you know.
I just bought one.
Life is Good!

Saaben

Morning Sharkhunter, thought I would give you an update. It was with great anticipation that I opened up my Amazon box to see  what they deemed as "acceptable" on the 12/0. I am not going to be able to keep this one. It has a hole the size of a quarter punched out on the left side, something is rattling around on the right side and there are no brackets or hardware. In looking up parts cost at Scott's Tackle it looks like around $130 or so before shipping to get it back in shape. These are of course new parts not used. I paid $260 for the reel so in order to get it fishing I am looking at spending what a new one cost. I was/am trying to save some money on it so rough math it looks like to get the reel, rod and mono on there I am looking at $500.00+. My wife wants me to hold off before spending money like that. It does not help that I only hooked one small one this trip after many many hours of fishing. I wanted to make sure I got back to you after being so helpful. Thanks for everything.

Shark Hunter

That's a Bummer.
Sorry for your troubles.
Life is Good!

Saaben

Sharkhunter, I am more sorry for you taking the time to look up the rods etc. I almost lost my 2 year old son to the deep end of a pool 2 years ago. That #### changes you and not getting a reel I wanted is so minor to real problems such as what Alan and my Brother n law are battling right now. I know what is important is my point. Thanks so much and I will be back in touch. If you ever find yourself in Atlanta, GA more specifically the Buckhead area please let me know as I would love to take you to lunch. Probably ask you a million questions but I'll treat.

Rivverrat

I can with out any reservation reccomend United Composites Challenger Platiunum series if your using 80 - 100lb. line & appropriate drag. These are fast tapered graphite blanks with e glass tips. They are extremely durable & have more recoil / stored energy than any other rod blank in this class that I have come across. A ready made rod cane be expensive however the blanks are very affordable.   

Another very much overlooked rod blank that would work very well also from UC is their Challenger Advantage. It's a composite with more E glass than graphite. Both blanks are American made. When I need heavier rods for bigger fish UC in my opinion leads here. But this is coming from an inlander....Jeff

Shark Hunter

I am an Inlander too Jeff.
I was just trying to give him the best bang for his buck.
These are entry level rods in the $100 range.
Hard to beat that when you are on a Budget.
I have Calstar's, Rainshadow's, Seeker's.
I think that Billfisher Blank is the best Value to be had if you don't want to spend the money.
They seem to based out of North Carolina.
If anyone has any more info on them.
I would like to hear it.
I have seen them in action and they perform.
Nothing against the UC, I just don't have any experience with them.
Life is Good!

Shark Hunter

Saaben,
That rod came today and it was all that I expected.
It was like it was made for the 12/0.
Perfect fit on the reel seat will little extra on the clamp.
Simple Robust Design.
These rods come with a 5 year warranty.
Simple Black with Blue Accent wraps.
I tried to do some research on them.
Evidently, Star Rods and Some Penn International V's come from the same place.
Their website claims solid Blanks,
I believe they are, The label on the handle says E glass, which is what I prefer.
Rainshadow uses the same technology. They are probably all made in the same place.
I know the International V's have landed some giant fish as well as the Rainshadow Blanks.
I still don't know if it is an import, but I would buy another one.
Like I said, I have seen them in action.
These aren't your normal Asian imports that twist the seat with any force.
You can't beat it for a Benjamin.
Life is Good!

thorhammer

I have several Billfishers in different weights and find them just fine in most applications. I think they are owned by Dick Henry or Big Rock both of which are not far from me either way.