First acid wrap and first dragon Scale

Started by steelfish, July 14, 2017, 09:21:56 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Cor

Quote from: Jeri on February 07, 2021, 08:37:57 AM
Another supporter for the left hand spiral, it just seems so natural.

We tried it on some surf rods for a while, too radical for the natives, they thought it was an April Fools joke, but can confirm that the dogma is wrong, little or no difference in casting over a standard casting rod built on the same blank and with similar size guides. Just the actual performance under load is way better than conventional styles. Still have my own prototype acid wrapped surf rod, for the rare occasions that I take out a multiplier and nylon.
I've always wanted to try one but thought the casting would not work very well and it's too much work just for a try.    Have you tried it with a conventional reel setup?    My feeling is that you will get a twisting caused by the tip guide under casting load?    Even the slightest effect on casting would be somewhat awkward as I make many more casts then what I pull fish.....especially this year!   Not caught one fish for over 2 months.
Cornelis

steelfish

yes , I use that rod mostly to cast spoons and 2oz jigs to spanish macks and seabas, I dont feel any difference or problem versus a regular rod ( all guides at the top of the blank), if the rod Load properly with the lure then you will achieve the same Distance than casting with a regular wrapped rod ( maybe 3-5 yards less if any).
but it feels 2x better this rod acid wrapped when retrieving a fish, feels like figthing a fish with a spinning rod but using a casting reel.

My plan is to make all my personal rods acid wrapped
The Baja Guy

oc1

Thank you sir.  That's good to know and has me thinking.

Cor

Quote from: oc1 on February 07, 2021, 10:17:05 AM
Thank you sir.  That's good to know and has me thinking.
Ditto.   I'll have to find a 2 piece rod that I can re build, then I can just turn the front section around.

@ steelfish.... you talking about White Seabass?   I know they will take a lure but because they generally deep fish here we catch them on bait....Sardine which is preferred.  You rig a weedless hook on your spoon?   Those fish are so scarce here now I would feel guilty to catch even one.
Cornelis

Rivverrat

I have found doing an acid wrap to lend itself well when when trying to achieve the ultimate lightest build for a particular blank. It allows the use of single foot guides making for an extremely lite tip & build.

I have yet been able to rip out or deform the guides while using 15 - almost 20 lbs. of drag.  I TRIED !  

What I'm speaking of here will not work well on fast tapper boat style rods.

Cor

I took a 9 ft Diawa Megaforce  22 lb line, Rod,  that I modified  2014, and use as a light boat rod.  Experimented to see if it could be turned into a spiral wrap.
Decided it would work, cut off two guides and replaced them at the appropriate left side angles and wrapped back on.

Still need to coat with epoxy and will be away with my own Acid Wrapped rod, made in 2 hours.

This rod started its life as a spinning rod and is now nearly back to the same design with the front guides facing downward.   I have not used this rod much as I found it slightly too light, but will see.
Cornelis

Gfish

Cool Alex! That rod is a "GOOOOOOOOAL!!!"
Who was that anouncer for soccer games? A world famous sports call.
Fishing tackle is an art form and all fish caught on the right tackle are"Gfish"!

Jeri

Quote from: Cor on February 07, 2021, 09:14:19 AM

We tried it on some surf rods for a while, too radical for the natives, they thought it was an April Fools joke, but can confirm that the dogma is wrong, little or no difference in casting over a standard casting rod built on the same blank and with similar size guides. Just the actual performance under load is way better than conventional styles. Still have my own prototype acid wrapped surf rod, for the rare occasions that I take out a multiplier and nylon.
I've always wanted to try one but thought the casting would not work very well and it's too much work just for a try.    Have you tried it with a conventional reel setup?    My feeling is that you will get a twisting caused by the tip guide under casting load?    Even the slightest effect on casting would be somewhat awkward as I make many more casts then what I pull fish.....especially this year!   Not caught one fish for over 2 months.

Hi Cor,

Our work was on the surf rod using a conventional multiplier and nylon, because we were using 9 guides + tip, we could manage the transition from top to bottom more gradually, and this seemed to pay off with control of any blank twisting, as the line really doesn't impart that much load on guides during a cast - if any. Tried it successfully on a range of rods from 5oz right up to 7oz, which was where we saw the greatest acceptance, as the loading on the angler improved so much for Bronzies and the like.

Guide angular movement was 5 degrees for the first guide, then 45 degrees for subsequent guides until on the opposite side of the blank. We even tried options on different sides of the spine of the blank with no apparent difference, thought with multi-piece rods we had to be very careful to make sure we determined the spine on all the sections, and to get correct alignment, such that the spine was always on one side of the blank or the other. Too many multi-piece blanks pay little heed to the alignment of spine, which would definitely induce blank twisting during casting.

Cor

Thanks Jeri,
As I indicated above I went and did a super fast modification on a light 2 piece boat rod.   It is currently on the dryer.   If it does not work I can just as quickly put it back as it was.

The rod had only 7 guides and a tip, one on the back section and 6 on the tip section which was fine for the original setup.    Ignoring the spine completely, I turned the front section around so the guides faced down and then angled the 2 rear guides on the tip, to bring the line up to the original guide on top on the  rear section and to the conventional reel

The lay of the line along the rod seemed acceptable, though to me guides facing down always just feels wrong........ what I am used to.

Photo shows what I did.

PS Have been very busy with all sort of thing, therefore the mess on my workbench. :-[

Sorry Alex, I seem to have unintentionally hijacked your thread, just got a bit carried away
Cornelis

Rivverrat

Quote from: Jeri on February 08, 2021, 07:28:49 AM

Too many multi-piece blanks pay little heed to the alignment of spine, which would definitely induce blank twisting during casting.

This is very true. Built a very expensive, overly priced 5 piece travel rod. The factory wrapped rod was a joke. They had wrapped different section on different sides of the spine. This on a $1200 dollar salt water fly rod.

steelfish

nice to see an expert to share the same way to wrap spiral left hand

Quote from: Cor on February 07, 2021, 11:18:40 AM
Ditto.   I'll have to find a 2 piece rod that I can re build, then I can just turn the front section around.

haha, that whats what I first though when I planned to wrap me an spiral rod, seems that 3/4 or more of the job is already done, but my 2pc rods were too light for boat duty, so I went the long route of rewrap a factory rod, its really nice to have a rod built from the scratch but there are many non-expensive factory rods that have good blanks, maybe just take the "cheap" guides out and install new ones of better quality and use you personal choice of thread colors.

Quote from: Cor on February 07, 2021, 11:18:40 AM
@ steelfish.... you talking about White Seabass?   I know they will take a lure but because they generally deep fish here we catch them on bait....Sardine which is preferred.  You rig a weedless hook on your spoon?   Those fish are so scarce here now I would feel guilty to catch even one.

here in my zone we have two or 3 (maybe more) fish of the same family/specie of the SeaBass as:
WhiteSeaBass
Yellowtail curvina (we called it "SeaBass")
orange mouth corvina (gulf curvina)
silver curvina (which is pretty similar to a USA Seatrout )
etc

normally most sportfishermen are interested in Yellowtail curvina and orange mouth corvina, those can grow up to 8-15#, the great Whiteseabass is also pretty Scarce here too (gulf of california) but from time to time you see them as trophy catch.

Quote from: Cor on February 08, 2021, 02:29:30 PM

Sorry Alex, I seem to have unintentionally hijacked your thread, just got a bit carried away

Dont worry amigo, its a pretty interesting chat so, continue as long as you want, you are very welcome to use any my threads as yours.

Quote from: Gfish on February 07, 2021, 10:33:31 PM
Cool Alex! That rod is a "GOOOOOOOOAL!!!"
Who was that anouncer for soccer games? A world famous sports call.
hahaha, that its a difficult question my friend, there are many "famous" sport call announcer that I dont have a clue which one you hear, just as a side note, that soccer team of the rod (my favorite) just played for the Mexican cup championship 1 month ago.... an lost  ::) :(  .

pictures:
-the orange mouth curvina caught on the same "customized" Musky rod using bait, those fish prefer bait 3:1 or more but are more fun to fish on lighter rods and lures.
-nice haul of orange mouth curvinas
-a White SeaBass caught on another boat
-more corvinas caught on lures with an okuma shadow stalker 8ft rod and okuma komodo 364 on a 2oz Krocodile spoon
-sometimes you cast heavier lures as those irons (tadys, salas, etc) on 40lb rod and Baja Special reel looking for a Yellowtail but those corvinas are around
The Baja Guy

Jeri

An aspect that we started to investigate when we were messing around with spiral wrapped surf rod, was the actual direction of the wrapping of the blank/carbon. When viewed from the butt end, we were finding that there was a small torsional bias in a clockwise direction, on clockwise wrapped blanks. And this perhaps aimed a lot of our bias towards left hand orientation of the guides.

At the time we only had a 2 piece blank that was wrapped in an anti-clockwise direction, and it never felt to have the torsional bias we experienced on the 1 piece blank that was wrapped the other way round.

There are a lot of variables in blanks, that make it difficult to come up with definitive directions for spiral wrapping. Sometimes it is just a 'feel' of a blank that suggests which would result in the optimum direction of spiral.

Jeri

Hi Cor,

Think that is an ingenious way to quickly test the theory, though with so few guides doing the transition, it might skew the results and provide more questions than answers. Certainly the issue of spine orientation between the two sections might be an issue, one half fighting the other for domination.

You'll have to get out and cast a few lures to see what it feels like, just close the eyes to what it looks like ..... ;)

Cor

The rod has dried, and looks like I was on my 5th Namibian beer when I positioned the guides, (I have the same feeling as your "locals")

I'll probably only get to test it on Thursday from shore as tomorrow we have too much wind.

On a light stick like this casting max 70 gr and 32 lb line I doubt if Ill feel any effect of twisting or torgue.

Will let you know.
Cornelis

Cor

I went to fish the Acid rod today, from shore under windy conditions.   It is too light for that, but my conclusion is that it casts as well as as it did before with a 55 gr (2 oz) iron and it will work as a boat rod.   Made about 20 casts, I had the feeling that it felt softer in the cast and would have been happier with 50 gr or even a bit less.    As I turned the spine around it may well be softer this way.
Cornelis