Alvey fishing reel company to close after almost 100 years in business....

Started by whalebreath, July 20, 2017, 06:15:09 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

whalebreath

Quite common where I live and much loved by many......To our wonderful customers over many, many years. It is with great sadness I have to announce that Alvey Reels Australia will be closing down.
Our manufacturing facility at Carole Park has served us well since 1978 but sales of our reels are now so low they can not generate the income required to keep the business going.
Our loyal and skilled staff have kept the quality of our products very high and we are proud of this reputation as being the toughest reel on the market.
So I would like to sincerely thank all our staff, many who are very long term employees for their support even now during this very sad time as we wind the business down.
We still have substantial stocks to be distributed to retailers and we will endeavour to support warranties and spare parts for our products as long as we can.
Thank you again for your support as an Alvey user, it is you that has kept us in business for the past 97 years.

Kindest Regards,

Bruce Alvey

Alvey fishing reel company to close after almost 100 years in business in Queensland

A range of Alvey reels from across the century on display at the company's factory.

As Bruce Alvey reflects on the success of his family company's 97-year history, he believes its greatest strength led to its downfall.

With the iconic Queensland fishing reel company Alvey set to close its doors due to poor sales, Mr Alvey said the quality and longevity of their products meant people did not need go back and make purchases often.

"People say, 'oh your product is too good, that's why you don't sell enough' but as we've said, if we made a product 30 years ago that lasted five years no-one would have wanted it," Mr Alvey said.

"When we were growing up, you bought something that was of value for money and you expected to get a better life out of it, and that's what we've made, and that's what we live by," he said.

Tony Robinson was in charge of assembly and quality control and has worked for the company for 38 years.

"It's been my passion but we make the product too well," he said.

"I see a lot of things in the market these days and the longevity is just not there — that's what's been the downfall of our product ... it lasts too long."

Tony Robinson has worked for the Alvey fishing reel company for 38 years.

Mr Alvey made the announcement that the family-run company would close on its Facebook page yesterday.

"It is with great sadness I have to announce that Alvey Reels Australia will be closing down," he said.

"Our manufacturing facility at Carole Park has served us well since 1978 but sales of our reels are now so low they cannot generate the income required to keep the business going."

Charles Alvey began producing fishing reels in 1920 and went into business with his son Ken Alvey.

The current factory at Carole Park in Ipswich, west of Brisbane, has been operating since 1978.

The company's Facebook page has been flooded with well-wishers prompting thanks.

"To say it doesn't touch a heart-string would be a lie, our customers are always at the forefront of our thoughts," he said.

Click Here for the full article

ScottOz

Could not believe it.It is a real shame.Bet all the tackle shops sell out of stock very quickly.I have one that was given to me that needs some parts so I think I better get part for it asap.

Bryan Young

So sad.  I have one rod and reel that I got from my uncle but I have yet to use it.
:D I talk with every part I send out and each reel I repair so that they perform at the top of their game. :D

Newell Nut

I saw one in use back in the 90s and thought it was a very good concept but that is the only one that I have ever seen.

conchydong

It's like a high tech Cuban YoYo. I think if I ever saw one, I might be inclined to purchase it. Unfortunately, I don't think they ever took off in the US. Having a limited, non global market is tough in this day and age.

Gfish

Any advice for an American who might wanna collect onea these? Model for example. Perhaps one that reflects as much as possible, the best features of these reels.
Gfish
Fishing tackle is an art form and all fish caught on the right tackle are"Gfish"!

oldmanjoe

As a kid i fished with center pin reels .   Now that i want to go back to old school fishing , i started to build sticks for this style of reel.
  One of the features of the Alvey that i like is the simple drag , it does save the knuckles .      joe
Grandpa`s words of wisdom......Joey that thing between your shoulders is not a hat rack.....    use it.....
A mind is like a parachute, it only work`s  when it is open.......
The power of Observation   , It`s all about the Details ..
 Forget about all the reasons why something may not work. You only need to find one good reason why it will.   Alto Mare

Cor

My very first reel ever when I was 5 or 6 years old was an alvey!
Cornelis

redsetta

I've also had many Alveys over the years and love the purity (and efficacy) of the design.
Immersion fishing (west coast of NZ for example) has been a 'natural habitat' for 'em and one in which they excel...
Thanks to the Alvey family and staff for many years (and generations) of great work.
Fortitudine vincimus - By endurance we conquer

happyhooker

Hard to wrap your head around the concepts involved--you make something great & it lasts so long your repeat customer business gets spanked vs. making something of a lesser quality & it doesn't last as long, increasing the repeat customer business....

Frank

Gman_WC

Very sad to hear. Some of the longest casts I've ever seen were on a surf rod and an Alvey.
-g
Walnut Creek, CA

happyhooker

Quote from: Superhook on March 30, 2018, 09:16:17 AM

http://www.abc.net.au/news/2017-10-27/alvey-reels-again-delays-closing-date-as-orders-keep-coming/9089400

Not gone yet. Customers flooded Alvey with orders.

Let's hope.  I have no Alvey reels nor have I ever seen one in the flesh (metal), but a company like this deserves a better fate.

Frank

mhc

It can't be too difficult - a lot of people do it.