704z with black spool

Started by wailua boy, July 25, 2017, 05:25:23 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

wailua boy

Out of curiousity, I just purchased a few reels, a 704z and greenie and noticed the z came with a black spool. I do  have few other of Z's but they came with the gold spool. Is this a stock spool or painted? Thanks

p.s can post a pic if anyone would like

wailua boy

Pics

Midway Tommy

When they first came out they came with both black painted and gold spools. The earlier ones also came with the black torpedo knobs. They later switched to the standard gold spools and rubber knobs.   
Love those open face spinning reels! (Especially ABU & ABU/Zebco Cardinals)

Tommy D (ORCA), NE

Favorite Activity? ............... In our boat fishing
RELAXING w/ MY BEST FRIEND (My wife Bonnie)

wailua boy

Thank you sir, much appreciated.

oc1

Sometimes this place reminds me of Antiques Road Show.  Nice score there.
-steve

George6308

The original 704 spool was cast aluminum. Metallic blue-green for the 704 greenies and painted black when they changed over to the "Z" series. There has been reports of the cast spool shattering due to line pressure. Penn than replaced the spool with the present gold spools.

Ruffy

I just picked up a 705z for a mate who keeps getting smoked on the cheap reels he has, it was $40 at a second hand shop and will be a significant upgrade for him. The paint on the spool has started to chip and I am worried it will be too abrasive for braid, what do people do to repair these painted spools or given that they crack do they just replace them? From what I can see my options are:

(1) Paint the spool over the current baked enamel, or
(2) strip the entire spool back and go again, or
(3) source a gold spool?

What's the preferred option? Either way I'll upgrade the washers to greased carbon fibre, respool it with braid and let him have at it!
Cheers for the advice,
Andrew

Ruffy

I took George6308's advice on this one; thanks mate and apologies for not getting back to you in a timely manner! I finally got around to doing something about it this past week, I ended up using some very fine sandpaper (500-2000 grit wet) and then spray painting it with a matt black epoxy enamel spray paint. George had originally suggested a 3M scruffy pad but I couldn't find a reference to what that was. His main message was to take down the rough edges of the paint and not the metal at all which is why I ended up doing it with very fine paper and by hand. The reel is all back together now and ready for my mate! Funnily enough, spare parts for it (bail wire, drag washers, bump stop and a few roller parts) ended up costing me more than the original reel.