Fishing with vintage tackle

Started by mikeysm, August 05, 2017, 11:44:47 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

mikeysm

I have a passion for vintage tackle. I here all the time about the latest and the greatest and the vintage stuff isn't up to the task of catching fish anymore. I believe as long as it catches fish it's still usable.  You don't need something new to catch fish. It may not perform like the latest gear but it will still do the job. Don't ever let anyone tell you different.

Mike

Vintage Offshore Tackle

Mike, I agree 100%, unless I am fishing for something that is going to hurt me, in which case I want state of the art!

basto

Yes, Totally agree with you both. I have an Australian Surfmaster and an Ocean City 112 which I intend to spool up when I get back home.
Over in Western Australia at present and had the opportunity to fish the beaches off Ningaloo reef. This reef is 300 kms long and hugs the mainland all the way.
Yes, you can cast to it from the shore. Caught some nice golden trevally and flathead.My wife caught the biggest ones as usual.
cheers
Basto
DAM Quick 3001      SHIMANO Spedmaster 3   Jigging Master PE5n

mikeysm

I have the late stuff also. But it's for the big stuff. There is nothing like a vintage reel to modify to bring a sense accomplishment to a person.

Mike

Swami805

I try and take one vintage set-up on every outing, Still workes fine and there's something to be said for style points.
Do what you can with that you have where you are

Midway Tommy

I fish freshwater only. One reel that I use is 20 years old. The other 20 + reels in my arsenal run from 33 to 50 years old. Quite honestly, IMO, that group of reels, all ABU, Zebco or ABU/Garcia Cardinal fulcrum brake models are more reliable than just about any spinning reel purchased new these days. Also, IMHO, some of the best quality reels ever made, regardless of type, were made between the mid '60s and mid '80s. Starting about 1980 I think overall quality started to decline. I love the looks I get when other fishermen see the reels I'm using. The stares and comments are priceless!  8)
Love those open face spinning reels! (Especially ABU & ABU/Zebco Cardinals)

Tommy D (ORCA), NE

Favorite Activity? ............... In our boat fishing
RELAXING w/ MY BEST FRIEND (My wife Bonnie)

oc1

To me, the difference in old and new are the modern conveniences.  It's the same with cars.  The old stuff will get the job done just fine, but the new stuff is more comfortable to use.  I don't miss the drag, don't miss the anti-reverse or the levelwind.  But, I do miss the speed and lower profile of modern bait casters. 
-steve

Soren Bredberg

The fish haven't changed only the gear we catch them with. Fish don't give a hoot if you use modern tackle or vintage tackle. Well maintained vintage gear will land most fish.

Normslanding

The old stuff (like me) has it's place. Fishing big fish the new stuff has the edge. BUT for other fish many times the old gear has the edge. If I was headed to SoCal to fish on a half or full day trip there will be a couple of Calcutta (wood) rods, with a Penn 259, 99, etc. on them. Usually the reaction to the rods goes something like this...... Do you think those long bent wood rods will be OK? They will probably break, etc. Will when the Barracuda come up way behind the boat, under the Turns and all the regulars are only catching shorts the Calcutta comes into it's own. Throwing a Clyde's or Hex Head feather with the wood has won me many a jack pot. As for fresh water I fish Bass, Trout ,and Pan Fish with Langley Targets, and Streamlites. Try to fish/cast two pound test on a conventional reel, well a Target will do it. Find me a modern conventional that will do it. To date I have not found one, now there is a challenge for you guys. Kidding a side I would not use a new reel for my fresh water fishing.

The Great Maudu

Do you have any pics you could post showing the Calcutta rod?

Normslanding

I have pictures, BUT I always have a lot a trouble posting them on this site.

The Great Maudu

Email them to me and I'll post a few if you'd like. 1mf@fuse.net

Benni3

Thay still work too  ;D and catch fish

Normslanding

The Calcutta pictures have been sent to you email.

Decker

Quote from: Benni3 on August 06, 2017, 07:56:18 PM
Thay still work too  ;D and catch fish

Why is it that vintage lures command such high prices?