Fishing with vintage tackle

Started by mikeysm, August 05, 2017, 11:44:47 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Benni3

Quote from: Decker on August 07, 2017, 01:42:57 PM
Quote from: Benni3 on August 06, 2017, 07:56:18 PM
Thay still work too  ;D and catch fish

Why is it that vintage lures command such high prices?   
I got them at a estate sale $3.00 each last year,,,,you find them at sales,,,,the bad thing is the vintage rods i past up,,, ???

sdlehr

I've wondered the same, Joe. Look in your tackle box. How old is the oldest lure in there? They often don't last long and get snagged and lost. They also lose paint and get chewed up. so an old lure in really good condition has probably not been used much, and not at all in a few decades. Lure collectors are always on the lookout for repainted lures. I think it's about Economics 101, supply and demand. I think the demand side of the equation has also been influenced by the number of collectors increasing as well.
Sid Lehr
Veterinarian, fishing enthusiast, custom rod builder, reel collector

Decker

Quote from: sdlehr on August 07, 2017, 03:38:24 PM
I've wondered the same, Joe. Look in your tackle box. How old is the oldest lure in there? They often don't last long and get snagged and lost. They also lose paint and get chewed up. so an old lure in really good condition has probably not been used much, and not at all in a few decades. Lure collectors are always on the lookout for repainted lures. I think it's about Economics 101, supply and demand. I think the demand side of the equation has also been influenced by the number of collectors increasing as well.

Right, Sid.  Higher loss/damage rate, shrinking supply.  Buying old reels saves money, but buying old lures may not.  Makes perfect sense.   

bluefish69

I have my old tackle box I used for Striped Bass. I haven't opened it since '69. Lures were in good condition if I remember right.

Mike
I have not failed.  I just found 10,000 ways that won't work.

Decker

Quote from: bluefish69 on August 07, 2017, 04:05:47 PM
I have my old tackle box I used for Striped Bass. I haven't opened it since '69. Lures were in good condition if I remember right.

Mike

A gold mine, no doubt! ;D

sharkman

I fish both vintage and new. But the last three reels I purchased new all had issues. None were cheap reels either and all three were manufactured by different companies. Vintage reels were made in an era where there was pride in making a good product, not just a good profit. All the companies were great in assisting making the issues right.

Benni3

What to watch for Bagley! heddon,South bend mouse,Winchester spinners $2 or $3 it's like getting a lottery ticket,,,lol  :D

swill88

There are just so so many of us old guys that want them.

steve

oldmanjoe

;D  Just about ever thing i fish with is vintage even the boat and motor .    The only thing new is hooks and line ....     joe
Grandpa`s words of wisdom......Joey that thing between your shoulders is not a hat rack.....    use it.....
A mind is like a parachute, it only work`s  when it is open.......
The power of Observation   , It`s all about the Details ..
 Forget about all the reasons why something may not work. You only need to find one good reason why it will.   Alto Mare

mikeysm

I just got that same old song today. That the old penn reels don't cut it anymore. Charkbait can't make money on it like they can with the new stuff. Well try and repair a Shimano that is no longer made. Some models don't even last a year before they are changed and no parts available.  My opinion Penn decided to go that route to do just that by discontinueing most of their model and going chinese.  Let's see if they supply parts for the new version of these reels. We are living in a throw away world and pretend what we have now is better. Time and time again the old penn reels perform just as good as the newer reels. How often do you really need a two speed reel to get the job done. We should give thanks to all the people that make this sight worth while.

Mike

Gfish

I'm in love with 2 diffrent ladies!
Gotta older, larger, less attractive and slower one, vintage-like me, but I know her so well. And a younger, sleeker, prettier one, still a young relationship, we're still getting to know each other, modeled after a classic, she's a great example of the fine American game of reinventing yourself. The older one's easier to modify and maintain, less expensive, less complicated, more forgiving and does what she does really well. The other prettier, younger one, is expensive, finicky and fussey, but built tougher with structual and functional improvements and she's faster and lighter. Can't decide who I love more... They both have their special place when I'm out kayak huntin. Sure is nice to have options.
A probably early 60's Long Beach 67 and a Cortez Jigmaster "99" reel kit.
Fishing tackle is an art form and all fish caught on the right tackle are"Gfish"!

fishgrain

because of the memories they recall.

even though the Phillies are having a tough time this year, watching other teams just isn't the same

sitting at my grandmothers feet as a kid watching with her cannot be duplicated.  :'( :'(

jay

The Great Maudu

Invoking memories of Granny brings a tear to m eye. I loved going to her house when I was about 15 and her and I playing Rummy and drinking high balls

wailua boy

I too have noticed that ive sought out all the reels(and then some) I fished with or even saw as a kid.

oc1

I did that too.  Then I started on my dad's reels and then grandparents.  Working my way back in time to a rock and spear.