Triton Mag Mark IV

Started by Yogi_fish808, August 08, 2017, 12:20:08 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Yogi_fish808

Aloha AT Family,
I recently scored this interesting Triton Mag MkIV on ebay for dirt cheap. Inside the layout is the same as the other 90s Triton/Speedmaster stardrag reels, nice quality and smooth. It's the same size as a SpeedMaster IV or 500 jigmaster, around 330yrds 30lb mono. Knurled Abu-style screws on the head-plate held in with o-rings made disassembly easy and free of 4 letter words. The stock 2 position power handle is a nice touch too, pretty close to a Penn design. I was happy to see it was really clean inside, with a nice large brass main and stainless pinion. The cast aluminum frame is a nice feature, no worry of graphite warping under load. I swapped the gummed up "titanium" drag washers for greased carbon, penn 113h washers fit perfectly into the 3 stack. What really impressed me the the mag cast control system. First the magnet is freaking huge, the biggest I've seen used in a mag cast reel of this size. At the highest setting the fully lined spool only spins for 4 seconds (even after shaft polishing and tsi321 in bearings), that's a lot of stopping power. A lot of thought also must've gone into the whole system because as you adjust the settings knob the tolerances feel great and even the sound of the clicks going 1-10 seem deliberate. 90's Japanese obsession with quality and packing technology in at its finest. I'm not sure why these really cool, well built reels didn't catch on. Has anyone here used/own one of  these?

If you guys would like a closer look at the internals or other parts let me know. I didn't feel like taking the bridge assembly apart again since the layout is  pretty similar to other Triton stardrag reels, it's the mag cast system that makes this reel unique.

Aloha,
Kyle

Yogi_fish808

Update 8/13
Using a 13' Daiwa Ballistic 40 rod + 8oz lead and bait she was getting about 120 yards. Shimano over did it a little on the strength of the magnet IMO, I had it at the lowest setting and already was barely having to thumb the spool lip. At the max setting it felt like the spool had an  invisible air brake.  I'd be tempted to find the same size magnet and cut it in half.

Rancanfish

Porthos had reported much the same experience using Daiwa's Magforce reel.  A bit too much magnetic brake, even on the minimum setting.

Penn appears to be the only ones to have gotten it right. (Back in this time frame).

I woke today and suddenly nothing happened.

akfish

You got a great reel! But take very good care of it. Parts are almost impossible to find...
Taku Reel Repair
Juneau, Alaska

Yogi_fish808

Quote from: Rancanfish on August 14, 2017, 02:12:54 PM
Porthos had reported much the same experience using Daiwa's Magforce reel.  A bit too much magnetic brake, even on the minimum setting.

Penn appears to be the only ones to have gotten it right. (Back in this time frame).

I think by replacing the giant donut with something 1/3 the size it would perform much better. I could tell that it wasn't performing anywhere near its potential once adjusted. Being a much bigger reel it won't top a 525GS Mag with 15lb mono but 150+ yards is very doable.

thorhammer

you just propped my favorite surfer. the 525Mag. but it looks like that's a very nice reel. I agree, take some magnet off. can it be ground?

basto

You can remove the c clip and take the whole magnet cartridge out if you want. That is how I fish mine.
Basto
DAM Quick 3001      SHIMANO Spedmaster 3   Jigging Master PE5n

Rancanfish

Yes, Basto you can.  But that makes it a 500 jigmaster with an aluminum frame.

But then we're back to talking about magging the reel, lol.

I have yet to look at the magnet assembly like Porthos suggested. 

Kyle, thanks for putting up pics.  I don't see how the average guy would cut back the magnet size. 

I woke today and suddenly nothing happened.

thorhammer

Quote from: Rancanfish on August 14, 2017, 02:12:54 PM

My experience on Magforce also, though a beast of a little reel.

basto

Quote from: Rancanfish on September 15, 2017, 05:54:44 PM
Yes, Basto you can.  But that makes it a 500 jigmaster with an aluminum frame.

But then we're back to talking about magging the reel, lol.

I have yet to look at the magnet assembly like Porthos suggested. 

Kyle, thanks for putting up pics.  I don't see how the average guy would cut back the magnet size. 

You can slow the spool with heavier oil in the spool bearings. More than one way to skin a cat.
Basto
DAM Quick 3001      SHIMANO Spedmaster 3   Jigging Master PE5n

Cor

Very nice looking reel, don't remember ever having seen one like that.   I have "tuned" and made all sort of Mag cast control systems, sometimes a bit in a crude way, but you can experiment with smaller mags, less mags, no mags, increase the distance between mags and spool, all to reduce the braking effect.
Most of my reels of that size use about 2 rare earth magnets of 8 X 3 mm and smaller baitcasting size reels one 8 X 3, but it varies widely.   Ive also ground down magnets but that is not a good idea as they rust and also the heat from grinding seems to effect the magnet strength.

If you plan to use braid, rather use stronger magnets.
Cornelis

Joseph

My interest in weakening the magnet lead to information suggesting that by heating a magnet you can miss aline the magnet field which weakens the magnet. Never gave it a try so proceed at your own risk.