Anyone have a "car kit"?

Started by biggiesmalls, August 09, 2017, 02:54:10 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

biggiesmalls

Does anybody have a fishing kit that they keep in their car? Or perhaps a kit that you travel with, maybe you're going somewhere where there will be water and you might try and fish for whatever's biting.

I'm the new owner of a 2009 Camry that I've been working on (gift from my aunt), so now I gotta get to doing the fun work on this thing - cross bars for the kayak, big rod tube on the top, tackle storage organizer in the trunk, etc ;)

Interested to hear what people carry around, I haven't seen much online.

Tight lines
Drew

FatTuna

Ski racks are an easy solution for transporting rods.

I keep a 9 foot St. Croix travel surf rod in my cab at all times.

I'm going to be installing a Decked system for my truck in a couple of months. Will keep a bunch of tackle in there at all times.

David Hall

When I fished fresh water I always had a rod and reel and gear in my truck.  I haven't done this in over 15 years, my salt water addiction got the best of me. 

Three se7ens

I have a 3 piece travel rod (Nomad Express Inshore), and I think Ill be adding another to my collection.  The Nomad rods are very well made, and have a good warranty.  Plus, multi-piece rods are quite convenient on a kayak.

http://www.tackledirect.com/search.html?query=okuma+nomad

oc1

Put rocket launchers on the front bumper with a rod and reel for every occasion.  :)
-steve

Tiddlerbasher

All of my more recent rods are travel rods - 3/4/5 piece. They will easily fit into a suitcase - A must, in this day and age, no airport in the UK/Europe will allow rods and even reels (with line) as cabin luggage - and forget about hooks, pliers, multi-tools etc. The additional cost of rod tubes (as hold luggage) is getting prohibitive. I have even been told by one airline "Golf bags are ok but rod tubes are too long - we don't allow them" They are a law unto themselves >:(

Additionally all my tackle can fit into the car with no modification.

Gfish

My Forester came with those roof rack ready bars. Just got cheap metal pipe and plastic end-caps for a cross-bar set-up, secured with "U" bolts to the factory bars. Didn't wanna spend hundreds for a name brand one and miss the fun of hardware shopping and doin it my way. Rods go inna PVC sewer(black) pipe 'bout 5" dia., secured with big hose clamps, a glued cap on one end and a screw on/off cap at the other. Only real fancy parts are the Hobie nylon bar covers that the yak rides on. Haven't yet been able to come up with a lock for my rod holder(gotta $400 Loomis surf rod!). Tackle goes inna old, stained and beat-up backpack.
Gfish
Fishing tackle is an art form and all fish caught on the right tackle are"Gfish"!

broadway

A vintage Daiwa Mini-Mite travel set does the job for the small stuff and packs away in a case the size of a flute.
It's kept in the trunk and has room for some small tackle in the case as well as a spare spool.
Dom

diamonddave

Gfish I use the same type of tube I drilled the cap where you would put the wrench to tighten or loosen cross ways and inserted sash chain then on each side of the tube I installed two quarter inch eyebolts and use two small padlocks to lock to the eye bolts.  Dave

biggiesmalls

Quote from: Gfish on August 09, 2017, 01:50:59 PM
My Forester came with those roof rack ready bars. Just got cheap metal pipe and plastic end-caps for a cross-bar set-up, secured with "U" bolts to the factory bars. Didn't wanna spend hundreds for a name brand one and miss the fun of hardware shopping and doin it my way. Rods go inna PVC sewer(black) pipe 'bout 5" dia., secured with big hose clamps, a glued cap on one end and a screw on/off cap at the other. Only real fancy parts are the Hobie nylon bar covers that the yak rides on. Haven't yet been able to come up with a lock for my rod holder(gotta $400 Loomis surf rod!). Tackle goes inna old, stained and beat-up backpack.
Gfish
Awesome idea, this is an idea I will need to try.
Not exactly sure how the screw-on cap is set up for you - but could you drill a hole diagonally, that goes through the screw-on cap and the main pipe? That way you could just line it up when you screw it on, and stick a padlock on there. Could do as many as you want, in theory.

Edit: looks like diamonddave had just about the same idea

biggiesmalls

I've been needing some 2, 3, or 4 piece rods for a while now. I've got a few 7' one piece rods for inshore fishing, they work fine but man it sucks loading them up. Although if I get a rod tube built for the car, one piece will be fine.
Have a Florida trip coming up in March of 2018, so I should probably have a travel rod or two by then.

Now it's time to do a shootout of rods and reels for this, gotta find something cheap, lightweight, and tough enough to stand up to fresh and saltwater.
I'll probably get a 7' 8-17 lb rod for the car, with a reel about the size of a Shimano 2500 (150-160 yards of 8 lb mono, give or take). I'll probably keep a spool of 8 lb copolymer and 20 lb braid. I have a feeling this will do fine to cover at least 80% of the fishing I'll do.

Then I gotta throw together a set of lures... Probably a box with half saltwater stuff and half inshore stuff.

thorhammer

You can find two piece to fit in your trunk all day at pawn shops.  The Camry used to also have a lay down backseat to access trunk check for that; two piece twelve footer will fit in there.

biggiesmalls

Man that would be awesome. I can put the middle seat down and get access to the trunk, so I can get an 11 or 12 footer in there without problems (broken down of course).

A two piece would be fine for the car, the main concern I have is traveling on a plane, but I could always build a PVC case that could fit a few two-piece rods and be used as a carry-on (probably). I don't want to go over a 3-piece rod just because it gets annoying past that point.

I really need to slim down my level of fishing gear. I went through and cleaned the garage, I filled several gallons of containers with lures, most of which I have never used. I had four tray boxes of bass lures that had never been used. I'm gonna sell almost all of it (I have a good memory of what I've used, what I haven't, what has worked, what hasn't, etc), and use the money to fund... more tackle. Hopefully this time, just the essentials though.

My goal is to have at least 6 setups to fish - and no more than 12. Bare minimum would be two medium spinners, one (ultra)light spinner, the 980, the 9/0, and one surf casting setup (for bait and shark duty). Potentially, I would turn the one ultralight into two or three - with one or two setups designed to be beaters that can be used around the docks for smaller stuff. The surf setup could turn into four setups, which would be a spread of one bait rod and up to three casted shark rods (so I can have baits in different locations) - although it will likely end up being two rods, one for baitfish and one for casted shark duty. Then I've been tossing around the idea of building a 4/0 wide rig, as a 2018 project - but it's low on the priority list.

Another thing I want to do with my bass fishing, inshore fishing, panfishing, etc - is thin out the artificials and terminal tackle I need to have on hand. I am going to try and pick three techniques that work the best and that I really enjoy fishing, and only fish those. I don't know what they will be yet, but I have some ideas.

Decisions, decisions.
Drew

Gfish

Quote from: diamonddave on August 09, 2017, 02:46:05 PM
Gfish I use the same type of tube I drilled the cap where you would put the wrench to tighten or loosen cross ways and inserted sash chain then on each side of the tube I installed two quarter inch eyebolts and use two small padlocks to lock to the eye bolts.  Dave

Great idea and great name diamondave(you a gambler?).

Biggie, the screw-on cap actually screws into a special female part that glues onto the main pipe. Kinda like a screw-in plug.
Gfish
Fishing tackle is an art form and all fish caught on the right tackle are"Gfish"!

biggiesmalls

Quote from: Gfish on August 09, 2017, 09:52:56 PM

Great idea and great name diamondave(you a gambler?).

Biggie, the screw-on cap actually screws into a special female part that glues onto the main pipe. Kinda like a screw-in plug.
Gfish
Something kind of like this? (obviously without the tee):
https://flexpvc.com/pictures/ReducerBushing.png

Dave and Gfish, do you mind posting pictures of your tubes? I'm having a bit of a tough time envisioning how they're working. They sound like great ideas though!

Drew