Halibut fishing with GSTOURS (Gary) in Alaska Aug. 1-8, 2017

Started by El Pescador, August 12, 2017, 03:28:48 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

El Pescador

How would the conversation go with you and your wife, girl friend or significant other of many years?????   When the conversation goes something like this...

Sweetheart, I've invited 2 fishing guys to come and live with us for a week, I met them online, don't know their real names, have not seen their photos, but are coming for a week, living with us, and want dinner at 7pm!!!  I know my wife and I would be having words.

But that is what happened last week for Dominick and me.  Actually, it was booked for Alan & Dom, but with Alan's current medical treatment, they called in for Plan B - ME!!!

Here is some of the food swag we brought up in our coolers, This was in my cooler, Dominick brought up 49 lbs. of fresh fruit & vegetables.

Yes, I hand carried a BLACK SEEDED Water melon for Mary Jo -

Landed in Juneau, AK with a 4 hr. delay

Skys were full of helicopters taking tourists to the glacier close by

with questionable wireless coverage, as long as I have clear skys, my inReach GPS allows me to text to my hearts content.

And here we are in Gustavus, AK with Gary (aka: gstours on our site) -

Here is the World's smallest Baggage Claim area - only in Gustavus, AK!!!

Heading to Gary's home - he and Dominick are already making plans for fishing

BUT first, need to stop by the local liquor store for some items.  This store is only open between 4-6 pm.
And why are there only fishing vans in front???

Nice selection of about anything you would want.

And a really nice selection of wines - And for those of you who have met me, you know I'm a bit of a wine snob!  That's right, I like only two kinds of wine...  OPEN and IN MY HAND!!!!!!

And here we arrive at Gary & Mary Jo's home - carved out of the Alaska Wilderness 20 years ago.

And this is where Dommie, that's what Gary liked to call Dominick!!  and I stayed.

Dominick paying Omage to the Red Cooler!!!  This cooler had the MOJO - as you will see.

You've seen it before but here is the fish cutting station - Dominick and I came home with 120 lbs. of halibut.

Here is Gary and the TANK for the first time.

Alright, Gary, I asked you for your permission to post photos of your work area and gave me that privilege, so here you go - Gary's fishing work area.  

Next Day, putting the Tank on Gary's favorite Halibut rod, a Witch Doctor 30-80 lbs. rod - and it too worked its charm.

Gary working on the handle side of the TANK, and when I saw what he was using for a wrench, I grabbed my iPhone, and texted Alan to send Gary 4 wrenches and bill me for the cost.  DONE!!!

My wife, Jennifer, always tucks in my baggage a note for the trip, God love this woman!!!

Never let the skinny guys make the sandwiches!!  NEVER!!!!

reelrepair123

isn't life grand,  what a beautiful story of three guys getting together to go fishing, and gary's wife for welcoming them, this site has brought so many people together to share the same passion we all have.  we all could have a ball in gary's work shop, filled with alot of goodies, i'm just surprised they didn't try to hijack the red cooler,  the  ''  butt  ''  killer.  thanks again for a great story and beautiful pictures.   harryk

Benni3

Quote from: reelrepair123 on August 12, 2017, 03:50:04 PM
isn't life grand,  what a beautiful story of three guys getting together to go fishing, and gary's wife for welcoming them, this site has brought so many people together to share the same passion we all have.  we all could have a ball in gary's work shop, filled with alot of goodies, i'm just surprised they didn't try to hijack the red cooler,  the  ''  butt  ''  killer.  thanks again for a great story and beautiful pictures.   harryk
x2 this looks like fun ? Is that watermelon spiked  ;D i know you guys are going to have fun,,,,,and i hope you fill that lucky cooler up with fish  :D

Steve-O

What a FANTASTIC note your sweetheart wrote you, Wayne.  Indeed, there would be a rod shortage...and a healthy ocean planet to live on... and a photo hosting site with unlimited gigabytes for all things angling....wait a minute! ...gotta go copywite that Slogan for my next web photo hosting site.

All Things Angling@fishfotos.com....done.

I love southeast Alaska and am counting the days until I get back up there...less than a month.

Anyway, I am thinking this must be the introductory teaser page....right?

The arrival and get settled in page....right?

The FISHING PAGE is coming up next...RIGHT?

Great pics so far ...keep 'em coming.

BTW...did you notice the air difference on your first breath outside?

I always do even at the airport in Ketchikan.  

Breathe in big.....let out breath....aaaahhhhh.....I'm home..... ;D

Good onya with the goodies for Gary and Wife!

I always bring goodies to my Alaska lodge and after years of this gift and that...I panicked with the lack of gift inspiration and bought coffee for all. Several local roasts.

One of the  owner's 5 daughters took one look in the bag, gave me a million dollar smile and said" ya done good!"

This year it's looking like Park City Roast X4.

Bring on more story and pics! Let's see that Tank in action?...Alaska Style!

Edit: typo fixed..two owners ( husband and wife) ...5 daughters.

foakes

Last pic with the note and the hat -- sez it all...

Best,

Fred
The Official, Un-Authorized Service and Restoration Center for quality vintage spinning reels.

D-A-M Quick, Penn, Mitchell, and ABU/Zebco Cardinals

--------

The first rule of fishing is to fish where the fish are. The second rule of fishing is to never forget the first rule.

"Enjoy the little things in Life — For someday, you may look back — and realize that they were the big things"
                                                     Fred O.

Steve-O

Quote from: Benni3 on August 12, 2017, 04:02:25 PM
Quote from: reelrepair123 on August 12, 2017, 03:50:04 PM
isn't life grand,  what a beautiful story of three guys getting together to go fishing, and gary's wife for welcoming them, this site has brought so many people together to share the same passion we all have.  we all could have a ball in gary's work shop, filled with alot of goodies, i'm just surprised they didn't try to hijack the red cooler,  the  ''  butt  ''  killer.  thanks again for a great story and beautiful pictures.   harryk
x2 this looks like fun ? Is that watermelon spiked  ;D i know you guys are going to have fun,,,,,and i hope you fill that lucky cooler up with fish  :D

If you've followed the "Red Mojo Cooler" at all then disregard this .

It's the bait cooler and has the baddest fish catching mojo on the planet.

Ain't no Alaska fish gonna fit in that cooler. They go under the floor in the boat deck. ;D

I'm afraid Wayne or more likely Dominick or together have concocted a scheme to secure said cooler from Gary at the end of the day....or maybe at the end of a fine Zin.

But not really....just kidding.

Bill B

It may not be very productive,
but it's sure going to be interesting!

El Pescador

Steve-O!

Correctamundo!  This is just the first of at least 3 posts,

You have this as a start, we leave for a wedding today, back tomorrow and I'll post more then.

Stay Tuned ....

Wayne

Steve-O

Quote from: El Pescador on August 12, 2017, 04:36:34 PM
Steve-O!

You have this as a start, we leave for a wedding today, back tomorrow and I'll post more then.

Stay Tuned ....

Wayne

Whewwww!!!

THANK YOU, THANK YOU, THANK YOU!!!

I was sweating it out waiting for a response.

The Icy Straits are a magical place...all the more so with Gary there full time helping me relive the memories with his posts and pics of those glacial ocean waters and great scenery.

Hoping to return again.

Alto Mare

Quote from: El Pescador on August 12, 2017, 04:36:34 PM
Steve-O!

Stay Tuned ....

Wayne
What do you mean you have a wedding?...keep the pics coming, never mind the wedding ;D.
As usual, great job buddy, can't wait for more.
Thanks Wayne for taking us along.
Sal
Forget about all the reasons why something may not work. You only need to find one good reason why it will.

Shark Hunter

What an Awesome Trip!
Can't wait to see the rest.
Gary, You are the Man!!!!!
Life is Good!

Tightlines667

Hope springs eternal
for the consumate fishermen.

steelfish

I felt like be there with you guys while reading thanks Wayne, Dom & Gary for this kind of stories
The Baja Guy

jnd1959

That looks like a fun trip. I hope to get up there some day. Thanks for the report and pictures.

El Pescador

You Kids ready for more photos???  Back from Sacramento and my nephew and fiance are now Mr. & Mrs.!  We wished them a lifetime to love, honor & cherish each other.

But back to our business at hand...

Here is Gary, ready to head out for the day but wants to check his garden to see what we will enjoy with our dinner.

Got the Red Cooler packed with halibut bait.

The drive from Gary's home to the boat dock is 3 miles of this, then a right turn and 3 more miles of the same view. TALL Timber.

At the boat dock, and a small gift from my wife for Dommie & Gary!  A boat towel.

At the dock is this yacht - NICE Looks to be neighbors from San Francisco.

Gary has to take a dingy from the dock to his boat, get on board, then motor back to the dock to pick us up.

AND... that is why it is called the MAIKO!

Talking about where to fish for the day.

Gary uses more bait on a single drop than we do all day fishing Halibut in the SF Bay Area.

And thar she blows.... THE TANK.

The Tank on the first drop of the day in 180 feet of icy waters.

The technique here is to drop your bait with 48 oz. of lead to the bottom, then begin to pull up and drop again to feel for the bottom, depending on the current, it takes a few ups and  drops before you have a solid feel of the bottom.  If you are NOT on the bottom, you get NO FISH.

I grab the tank and winch up the first fish of the day.

A nice start for the day.

You can see what does down the halibut gullet will not be coming out.  IT's nasty down there.

Here is Gary's bait arsenal:  Salmon heads, salmon belly strips, herring, roe, a syringe of smelly fish liquid.

Dominick too gets fish on the tank.

Back to the boat, Gary has the cabin all organized as he needs it.

And a small oil burning stove to heat the cabin and some sausages for lunch.

And a small stove to heat water for Dominick's requests for a fresh cup of hot coffee.

The Tank on constant patrol for big halibut.

Dominick contemplating a change in fishing ideas.

Done with the first day, cleaning up the boat before mooring it to the buoy and heading back in the dingy.

WE have fish to clean.

Gary shows us his filet methods, and then we go to work, TRYING to do the same.

We made sure to cut out the cheeks and Dominick and I will enjoy them with scrambled eggs some weekend am.

Gary made this cedar table to hold the fish & keep them dry & clean.

Time to remove the skin.

Vac Seal, freeze and repeat many times this day.

Enjoy this post, you have lots more to see.

Wayne