Okuma Makaira 30

Started by mrwilson99, August 13, 2017, 08:11:03 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

mrwilson99

Hi,

I was just wondering about braid capacity and the # I should be using for this reel. I was recommended 130# Jerry Brown, however  I see hollow and non-hollow as both options for Jerry Brown. This will be my cow setup (first one).

Would like to know if 130# test is the right choice and if I should buy hollow as opposed to non-hollow.

David

Normslanding

Yes 130 is what many use on the Mak 30. Hollow is preferred by most. It's a lot a line, and with that reel you can fish for just about anything.
The cost will be offset by the lines longevity. If a wear say the first 100 yds you just splice a new 100 on. That's one of the advantages of hollow.

SoCalAngler

Quote from: mrwilson99 on August 13, 2017, 08:11:03 PM
Hi,

I was just wondering about braid capacity and the # I should be using for this reel. I was recommended 130# Jerry Brown, however  I see hollow and non-hollow as both options for Jerry Brown. This will be my cow setup (first one).

Would like to know if 130# test is the right choice and if I should buy hollow as opposed to non-hollow.

IMO if you are looking for a true cow reel I'd step up to a SEA50. Can a 30 do it? Yes, but not most's first choice for a true cow reel. The 30's are really only a wide 20 in the Makaira line.

With that said I'd go hollow with any large game reel. The advantages in rigging options and splicing in other braid with a knotless connection out weight the cost savings by going with a solid braid IMO.

mrwilson99

Thanks and makes sense! Taking baby steps here :)
David

mrwilson99

I will go with 130!

Quote from: Normslanding on August 13, 2017, 09:08:19 PM
Yes 130 is what many use on the Mak 30. Hollow is preferred by most. It's a lot a line, and with that reel you can fish for just about anything.
The cost will be offset by the lines longevity. If a wear say the first 100 yds you just splice a new 100 on. That's one of the advantages of hollow.
David

Bill B

Post some pictures after your done.....always like to see what others are bringing to the party....Bill
It may not be very productive,
but it's sure going to be interesting!

SoCalAngler

Quote from: mrwilson99 on August 15, 2017, 01:49:54 AM
I will go with 130!

Quote from: Normslanding on August 13, 2017, 09:08:19 PM

You may also want to think about a stepped braid application. Say 130 lb on the bottom and adding something like 50 yards of 200 lb with a knotless connection on top. I would do this if I was not sure how I would rig my leader like using the Chinese finger trap type connections. Something like a nail/nub knot, serve, Sato crimps and alike.

Now if your looking going loop to loop for your leaders strait 130 should be fine.

Edit: I'm not knocking JB's Line One Spectra as I use it on some reels but there are some very good manufactures of braid out there now. If you can go to a couple of tackle shops and look at /feel the 16 strand hollow braided lines they have to offer. I would not go lower than a 16 strand braid (this is pretty normal for 130 lb braid and above now a days) but it should also have a tight weave, feel silky to the touch and offer a good line diameter to breaking strength.

johndtuttle

The last things you want to be compromising on when fishing Cows is rod, reel, line, leader and terminal tackle.

You will be spending multiple thousands and thousands of dollars to get over fish on boat costs regardless of where or how you fish.

Don't skimp on tackle.

Go hollow, and use professionally made wind-on leaders. **After** you boat some fish learn to make your own if you want to play around.

nelz

What are "cows"? Sorry, I'm a SE fisher here.

David Hall

Cows are Tuna between 200 and 300 lbs, over 300 is a super cow.

alantani

i would guess close to 600 yards of 130 pound jb hollow with a 100 pound mono or fluorocarbon topshot and 30 pounds of drag at strike.
send me an email at alantani@yahoo.com for questions!

Tightlines667

Quote from: David Hall on August 16, 2017, 02:53:12 AM

In Hawaii we call them Gorillas.

Any bad gaff (other then in the head) is known as a 'San Diego' since the long-range boat videos often show them being brought over the rail tail first...  lol

Check out this BD thread for sum Hawaiian fish slang...

https://www.bdoutdoors.com/forums/threads/fish-slang.35973/#post-349846

John

Hope springs eternal
for the consumate fishermen.

nelz

Quote from: David Hall on August 16, 2017, 02:53:12 AM

That'll put 'yer drag to the test!

SoCalAngler

Just to let you know there is a saying on long range boats "friends don't let friends fish 100 lb when in cow town", too many hart breakers happen. Just thought you may wan to know.

johndtuttle

Quote from: SoCalAngler on August 16, 2017, 11:33:52 PM
Just to let you know there is a saying on long range boats "friends don't let friends fish 100 lb when in cow town", too many hart breakers happen. Just thought you may wan to know.

Yep, 100# hollow is light tackle fishing, rolling the dice to use a lighter reel.

Live bait is usually fished 130-150# and many kite reels 150-200#....You're not bassin' at the lake and no telling what you may hook up.