Spider Weights

Started by Shark Hunter, August 22, 2017, 12:51:27 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Shark Hunter

For the type of fishing I do, I need a heavy weight that can dig into the sand to keep it stationary and aid in the Sliding trace rigs I use.
A member here named long haired country boy. (I can relate)
Sent me these neat weights free of charge. I will be trying them out in a few weeks. Thank You Wendell. ;)

Life is Good!

thorhammer

Nice! Good on ya Wendell. How much do these weigh?

smnaguwa

Neat! They are identical to the ulua fishing weights used in Hawaii. Am sure some Hawaii members can post pics of different styles or you could take a scouting trip and see for yourself! I have made copies using oval sliding weights and bronze/brass wire. I epoxy and crimp the wire in; my kids say I'm cheap.

King rigger

Now that is a storm sinker! Would be great on an anchor rod too.John.

thorhammer

Quote from: King rigger on August 22, 2017, 02:54:22 PM
   Now that is a storm sinker! Would be great on an anchor rod too.John.

yep. I poured a ton like that using bicycle wheel spokes.

these look pretty heavy tho, for keeping a ten lb ray on the ground. I like a king anchor about 6 oz.

oc1

You should try the copper grapnel wires John.  They're stiff enough to hold the bottom, but will give way on a snag.
-steve

Shark Hunter

Life is Good!

wailua boy

Quote from: oc1 on August 22, 2017, 06:57:43 PM
You should try the copper grapnel wires John.  They're stiff enough to hold the bottom, but will give way on a snag.
-steve

X2

conchydong

Nice. I have some of those although I rarely surf fish anymore. I have also used a similar one called a Sputnik sinker.

Bryan Young

Please don't use copper wire. Copper will kill the reef.
:D I talk with every part I send out and each reel I repair so that they perform at the top of their game. :D

wailua boy

Im kind of embarrassed to admit I hadnt considered copper as not being reef safe since I was aware of the toxicity concerns of copper and invertebrates, its just used often... They are a popular sinking type in my region and it is startling to see the amount of lead that has been deposited at some of the more popular slide baiting areas. In fact, we usually dive for lead once or twice a year, we can load up an extra double kayak in short period of time, to the point the kayak is actually riding low in water.

oc1

You are correct Brian.  Every little bit hurts.
-steve

CapeFish

Quote from: conchydong on August 23, 2017, 12:31:57 AM
Nice. I have some of those although I rarely surf fish anymore. I have also used a similar one called a Sputnik sinker.

I use those sinkers as well, the long boom is very efficient, makes a big difference to the holding ability of the sinker and so does strong 2mm springsteel wires

Bryan Young

when I slide bait, I use galvanized wire lead.  It holds up well, stiff enough, and if left in the water will rust out.

We used to find tons of lead diving too.  Leave it out in the sun for a month in hopes that it will dry out before re-melting.
:D I talk with every part I send out and each reel I repair so that they perform at the top of their game. :D

Shark Hunter

Bryan,
There is a long sliding trace before my leader, that the sinker slides on.
Even if I get bit off, the sinker will still be attached.
I've never lost one, and there are no reefs where I fish from shore.
These just have copper colored wires, the ones I normally use were entirely made of copper.
I think these wires are just copper looking. They are way too stiff to be made from copper.

Life is Good!