Baitrunner 3500 Handle options

Started by spize, August 23, 2017, 01:52:01 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

spize

Are there any handle mods/swaps/upgrades that can be done for an original 3500 Baitrunner?

philaroman

I'm pretty sure that I've put a Stradic rosewood handle & Sustain machined aluminum cap on a Baitrunner 350 (the true "original").  I'd guess any older 4000-size "through-the-gear" handle should fit any 3500 older than Baitrunner B (direct drive), but post your exact model & get a 2nd opinion (actually, measure the length of the handle shaft that goes into the reel, just to be safe)

Fred (or someone) may have NOS for you...  otherwise, I can check for a decent used one -- aside from Stradic rosewood, I should have some other options:

• JDM Biomaster folding (rare/pricey);
  • Spirex double-paddle (cheap);
  • Symetre plastic knob (cheap) disassembles fully, unlike the riveted Stradic knob -- better for frequent sand/salt & lax cleanup

foakes

Here are a few spinner cranks that I keep in the upstairs shop for quick changeouts on service jobs.

Often needed parts on spinners are cranks, bails, drag knobs and spools -- probably because those are the parts that get knocked around the most in boats, vehicles, closets, and while transporting.

So I just strip spinners down for parts instead of having to go through bins and bins of reels -- and generally just toss in the NOS to the mix.

I have a route loop that I do once a week to pick up reels from sporting goods stores and clients within about 50 miles.  Pick up, repair, service, return, upgrade, etc..  Lot of folks have nearly unused spinners that are 30+ years old -- just because they busted a crank when it was nearly new -- and did not know how to get another handle, or the manufacturer ceased production.  Many cranks will interchange -- it is just hard without the reel on the bench -- since the variations in diameters, lengths, thread or through, shims needed, etc. -- are nearly endless.  Body, rotor, and bail clearance, hex, square, shoulders, threaded inside or directly to gear shaft, screw caps, and more...

Dropping off a few bags of completed reels to stores and clients today.  Here is an old Daiwa 4000C from the 70's -- that just needed a new crank, clean and service with modern greases.  Probably better than new.

Best,

Fred
The Official, Un-Authorized Service and Restoration Center for quality vintage spinning reels.

D-A-M Quick, Penn, Mitchell, and ABU/Zebco Cardinals

--------

The first rule of fishing is to fish where the fish are. The second rule of fishing is to never forget the first rule.

"Enjoy the little things in Life — For someday, you may look back — and realize that they were the big things"
                                                     Fred O.

spize

Here's some pics

foakes

That crank looks like a square insert, spize --

What is thickness of the square -- and what is the length of the insert part from the plastic collar to the end?

With these measurements, I will see if I have any sort of an upgrade, or at least a better handle.

Best,

Fred
The Official, Un-Authorized Service and Restoration Center for quality vintage spinning reels.

--------

The first rule of fishing is to fish where the fish are. The second rule of fishing is to never forget the first rule.

"Enjoy the little things in Life — For someday, you may look back — and realize that they were the big things"
                                                     Fred O.

spize

Thanks, I will check it when I get home.

spize

PICs with measurements

Bryan Young

I may have some handles.  I'll take a look when I get home from work.
:D I talk with every part I send out and each reel I repair so that they perform at the top of their game. :D

foakes

Sorry -- got distracted yesterday,

Any of these new ones should work, Jeff --

$10 + $3 shipping in a bubble envelope.

Best,

Fred

--------

Fred O.

spize

Fred, which do you think would be the best improvement over stock? Bottom right?

OK, zoomed in a little.......both on the right are the same? Left too?  ::)

foakes

Right, Jeff --

The two on the right are the same.

Of the two on the left, the upper left had a beefier blade and larger knob -- also will have a little more outboard clearance for the bail spin.

The ones on the right are the heaviest duty -- with more clearance for the bail.

No need to pay for the handle now -- wait until you fit it up to your satisfaction.

If you are unsure about between the upper left and the right side -- I could send both -- then you could just send one back later.

Best,

Fred

--------

Fred O.

philaroman

spize,

IMO, get the the newer T-bar knob (right) -- it's more comfortable than the older torpedo (left)...  also, you don't need to get multiples & deal w/ 2-way shipping -- IT WILL FIT!

spize

spize

Got the handle........and kind of forgot. I will get a check in the mail today Fred. Thanks!

I did fish that reel on a rent-rod work charter. Reeled in countless bass...it was fun. Got them on the squid strips. I would just cast way out, put it in "free spool" and wait for them to pull line for a few seconds.
It wasn't great with the live bait. I'm use to much better free spool then what the bait runner allows.