ARE YOU SUPERSTITIOUS?

Started by Dominick, August 24, 2017, 08:42:00 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

swill88

Quote from: Dominick on August 26, 2017, 04:09:35 AM
Quote from: David Hall on August 26, 2017, 02:51:39 AM
Basically it is our vow to never post anything that you wouldn't want your 12yr old daughter to read!  Keep it clean, keep it respectful, keep it family oriented.
Succinct and to the point.  Dominick

What about the "locker room talk" exception?  Steve

alantani

Quote from: David Hall on August 26, 2017, 02:51:39 AM
Basically it is our vow to never post anything that you wouldn't want your 12yr old daughter to read!  Keep it clean, keep it respectful, keep it family oriented.

thank you........
send me an email at alantani@yahoo.com for questions!

Jeri

Back to the original topic.

A lot of superstitions around the world have signifiacant and factual base in history, and the beliefs of the time.

Bananas is a classic regarding boats, in the days of sail and long distance travel, fruits like limes and lemoms were found to be a cure/prevention for scurvy - the English being more fond of Limes, eventually were known as 'Limeys' for their devotion to that fruit (slight historical side track). However, the one things that would damage all the limes or lemons on a boat, no matter how hard and dried the fruit was - was in fact bananas. Hence the very real resistance to having bananas or anything of the plant on a sailing boat.

This example of old beliefs is one of many that all found place in boating folklore from sailing days, when man was totally beholden to their wits and good fortune when sailing around the world in very small boats with none of the advantages we take for granted today with modern electronics ect. The simple association of the English with tea, comes from sailors finding that they suffered less chronic bowel problems from drinking cold tea, made with boiled water - something they learned of Chinese sailors. They got used to drinking tea, and whole empire building module came from that simple plant, and a total way of life for many.

Over the years, have spent many fruitless fishing days when the topic of conversations have come round to supersatition, especially while fishing - so now my superstition is not to discuss superstitions while fishing. That sadi I might still throw a few coins into the water before boarding a boat, to pay Posideon for what he might offer up for the day.

Cheers from sunny Africa

Jeri

foakes

While I am not superstitious -- there are things and memories that I am sentimental about...

One would be fishing with old gear that older fishing mentors in my life used regularly.

For me, Elmo was that man.

He was always old -- at least to me -- that is how I remember him.

That, and his examples of how to catch fish effectively -- and have fun doing it.

We would fish out of his boat over at Bridgeport Reservoir -- on the Eastern side of the Sierras.

He and his wife, Mary, would always rent a hotel room for about 4 months

The schedule was to get up around 6:00 (not too early), go get breakfast at the diner, pick up bait and ice at the Texaco, head over to the lake where the boat was moored.

We would fish until the wind blew us off around 11:30.

Come back, clean our fish, keep them on ice.

Go back into town, have lunch, take a nap, wake up in time for the Dodger's baseball on TV.

Maybe head out again for another hour or two of fishing.

Come back to our rooms around 5:00, or so.

Catch a shower, put on clean clothes -- head out to dinner.

Come back and play nickel Gin Rummy until about 10:00.

Hit the hay -- and do it again the next day.

That was what Elmo called "Gentleman's Fishing".

Elmo never used any other rod and reel except for an 8' custom noodle rod with an old French Centaure spinner mounted underneath.

Every time I go back to the Eastern side -- I break out one of the old Centaures -- they are really amazing and well made reels that perform perfectly.

To me that is nostalgic and sentimental at the same time.

Best,

Fred
The Official, Un-Authorized Service and Restoration Center for quality vintage spinning reels.

D-A-M Quick, Penn, Mitchell, and ABU/Zebco Cardinals

--------

The first rule of fishing is to fish where the fish are. The second rule of fishing is to never forget the first rule.

"Enjoy the little things in Life — For someday, you may look back — and realize that they were the big things"
                                                     Fred O.

handi2

Quote from: Newell Nut on August 25, 2017, 09:56:12 PM
Did any of you guys see the video a couple weeks ago of the south Florida guys catching red snapper using chunks of banana for bait. Red snappers were loving it.

One of the charter boats I service is tryin with great success pieces of dried Gulp only as bait. He lets it completely dry on the hook so it wont come off. He loads the boat with these little pieces.
OCD Reel Service & Repair
Gulf Breeze, FL

Bill B

Superstitious probably not me, Buuuuuutttttt I do have to take my hat....seems to change every year and last years hat may not produce this year....everything from ball cap, boonie cap, western straw, and a watch cap.....Bill
It may not be very productive,
but it's sure going to be interesting!

wailua boy

Quote from: Jeri on August 26, 2017, 07:28:21 AM

A lot of superstitions around the world have signifiacant and factual base in history, and the beliefs of the time.

Bananas is a classic regarding boats, in the days of sail and long distance travel, fruits like limes and lemoms were found to be a cure/prevention for scurvy - the English being more fond of Limes, eventually were known as 'Limeys' for their devotion to that fruit (slight historical side track). However, the one things that would damage all the limes or lemons on a boat, no matter how hard and dried the fruit was - was in fact bananas. Hence the very real resistance to having bananas or anything of the plant on a sailing boat.

This example of old beliefs is one of many that all found place in boating folklore from sailing days, when man was totally beholden to their wits and good fortune when sailing around the world in very small boats with none of the advantages we take for granted today with modern electronics ect. The simple association of the English with tea, comes from sailors finding that they suffered less chronic bowel problems from drinking cold tea, made with boiled water - something they learned of Chinese sailors. They got used to drinking tea, and whole empire building module came from that simple plant, and a total way of life for many.

Over the years, have spent many fruitless fishing days when the topic of conversations have come round to supersatition, especially while fishing - so now my superstition is not to discuss superstitions while fishing. That sadi I might still throw a few coins into the water before boarding a boat, to pay Posideon for what he might offer up for the day.

Cheers from sunny Africa

Jeri

In Hawaii, according to mythology one of Kanaloa's(think of him as a god of the sea) kinolau(body form) was the mai'a(banana). The banana was a offering to Kanaloa and if brought on board he would take the offering and sink vessel.

Tightlines667

Quote from: wailua boy on August 26, 2017, 11:30:55 PM
Quote from: Jeri on August 26, 2017, 07:28:21 AM

Cheers from sunny Africa

Jeri

In Hawaii, according to mythology one of Kanaloa's(think of him as a god of the sea) kinolau(body form) was the mai'a(banana). The banana was a offering to Kanaloa and if brought on board he would take the offering and sink vessel.

No thst is interesting.  2 parallel myths, likely developing independently of each other.  I presume tye Hawaiian is said to predate the anglo-saxon myth.

John
Hope springs eternal
for the consumate fishermen.

MarkT

Not likely. Bananas were introduced into Hawaii in 1850.
When I was your age Pluto was a planet!

happyhooker

Nice story, Fred, about Elmo.

That Centaure is classy.  The French have a way....

I like that 12 yr. rule.  Especially, since I've noticed several recent posts about young nieces, granddaughters, etc. getting into fishing.

Frank

Benni3

one time far faraway on a island in the Bahamas a college student asked way doesn't anybody swim in the river,,,don't it's cursed her friend said,,,, :-\ who told you that,,,my mother,,,,who told your mother,,,,her mother,,,so she dived off the bridge and villagers would watch :o,,,,but one day a shark got her  :'( the river was cursed  >:(

Jeri

Quote from: MarkT on August 27, 2017, 12:54:16 AM

The Anglo/Saxon aspect goes back to around the 1500's or may even predate that. Limes and Lemons were used as the source of vitimin C, and used because they could still be very effectively stored on boats, and still useful even when very shrivelled up after 6 months or more of storage in wet or dry conditions in wooden sailing boats.

A lot of early European boating superstitions were 'exported' around the world with the very early sailing ships from Spain, Portugal, Holland and England. One particularly about not whistling when on a boat without a metal or wooden whistle - a sailor whistling would be considered to be 'whistling up the wind', while that could be considered good luck ona  sailing ship becalmed by lack of winds, you could never rely on how much wind you might get - too much wind was obviously a serious consequence. So, whictling on a boat is still today considered bad luck.

Cheers

wailua boy

Quote from: MarkT on August 27, 2017, 12:54:16 AM
??? 2 species of banana were introduced by the first polynesian settlers. Do you have evidence otherwise?

Swami805

Bananas are native to S.E. Asia and have been cultivated by humans for thousands of years. It's entirely possible that early settlers brought them to the islands. Would have been handy food to bring on the trip and have a few to use for seed when you got there. A lot of nutrition in a banana.
Do what you can with that you have where you are

David Hall

I am surprised nobody has mentioned the old Norwegian initiation of biting the head off a fish?  My grandfather was full blooded Norwegian he passed this on to my older brother who passed it on to me!  I never forgot it, and I never forgot that it didn't help the fishing!  I made my son do it anyway, simply because I had been encouraged to do it.  Someone once tried to get me to eat the heart of a fresh salmon!  I declined and said I'm Norwegian, we only bite the heads off!