ABU AMBASSADEUR 7000 VS. 7000i REELS

Started by ez2cdave, August 25, 2017, 05:16:33 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

ez2cdave

Let's look at the ABU AMBASSADEUR 7000 VS. 7000i REELS . . .  You make the Call !

I found two YouTube videos, done by the same person . . . Much more detail is available there !

Tight Lines !

ez2cdave

Abu 7000 vs. 7000i . . . Pics !

ez2cdave

More Pics . . .

ez2cdave

A couple more Pics . . .

So, what is the consensus ?

Tight Lines !

akfish

What you can't tell from these pictures is that the newer 7000i models have serious corrosion issues -- at least they do from the sample I see in my shop. The Swedish Ambassadeurs seem to deal with saltwater much better.
Taku Reel Repair
Juneau, Alaska

ez2cdave

Quote from: akfish on August 25, 2017, 05:39:44 PM
What you can't tell from these pictures is that the newer 7000i models have serious corrosion issues -- at least they do from the sample I see in my shop. The Swedish Ambassadeurs seem to deal with saltwater much better.

Interesting information . . . What are you thoughts on the "mechanics" of the reels, comparatively ?

I don't like all the "plastic" parts in the "new" Ambassadeurs. To me, they have traded strength, durability and reliability for "profit margin".

Tight Lines !

foakes

Does Wal-Mart offer parts for these?

Its going to need quite a few after a few trips...

If you look through the new factory service manuals -- you will see where the Ambassadeurs have a separate section and classification entitled "Wal-Mart" (honestly).

The walmart reels are contracted at a lower price point because of WMs buying power volume -- so the materials, quality, and many plastics come into play.  That is the way the manufacturer makes a profit.

Cabelas, Bass Pro, and other major retailers offer these reels. 

Sad...

Best,

Fred
The Official, Un-Authorized Service and Restoration Center for quality vintage spinning reels.

D-A-M Quick, Penn, Mitchell, and ABU/Zebco Cardinals

--------

The first rule of fishing is to fish where the fish are. The second rule of fishing is to never forget the first rule.

"Enjoy the little things in Life — For someday, you may look back — and realize that they were the big things"
                                                     Fred O.

exp2000

Quote from: ez2cdave on August 25, 2017, 05:58:46 PM

What are you thoughts on the "mechanics" of the reels, comparatively ?

I don't like all the "plastic" parts in the "new" Ambassadeurs. To me, they have traded strength, durability and reliability for "profit margin".

Tight Lines !

An awful lot of work must have gone into producing these videos. He obviously has a great passion for ABUs.

The 7000 featured in this video is very antiquated and must have been one of the first ever made. The last of the Swedish models featured some nice upgrades to the drag washers etc. They are a very durable classic reel made of premium materials representing great value for money. I have a few 7000 series reels in my personal collection including a 7500 upgraded with the new i-series crank handle.

I have not seen a lot of i-series reels but the plastic parts in them are non- load bearing and should not present any major problems. The weakness in this design is the hairpin spring 116145 which you can barely see depicted in the schematics. It is part of the clutch release mechanism and it would take very little corrosion or binding in the mechanism to upset the operation of such a fine spring.

I also notice that there are several versions of the i-series 7000. 1503 has an unprecedented extremely powerful drag system which is absent in other versions. It makes me wonder whether it proved to be so powerful that it overwhelmed other reel components and was subsequently discarded? But I do not know this for certain.

A while back, there was some press regarding a new release 7000 model to be manufactured in Sweden.
Anyone heard anything more about this?
~

ez2cdave

Quote from: exp2000 on August 25, 2017, 11:40:50 PM
Quote from: ez2cdave on August 25, 2017, 05:58:46 PM

What are you thoughts on the "mechanics" of the reels, comparatively ?

Tight Lines !

An awful lot of work must have gone into producing these videos. He obviously has a great passion for ABUs.

The 7000 featured in this video is very antiquated and must have been one of the first ever made. The last of the Swedish models featured some nice upgrades to the drag washers etc. They are a very durable classic reel made of premium materials representing great value for money. I have a few 7000 series reels in my personal collection including a 7500 upgraded with the new i-series crank handle.

I have not seen a lot of i-series reels but the plastic parts in them are non- load bearing and should not present any major problems. The weakness in this design is the hairpin spring 116145 which you can barely see depicted in the schematics. It is part of the clutch release mechanism and it would take very little corrosion or binding in the mechanism to upset the operation of such a fine spring.

I also notice that there are several versions of the i-series 7000. 1503 has an unprecedented extremely powerful drag system which is absent in other versions. It makes me wonder whether it proved to be so powerful that it overwhelmed other reel components and was subsequently discarded? But I do not know this for certain.

A while back, there was some press regarding a new release 7000 model to be manufactured in Sweden.
Anyone heard anything more about this?
~

Good points . . . I just added additional video's done by the same person of the 7000C3. They're in my first post in this thread.

Tight Lines !

alantani

i wish i saw this post this morning.  i was putting together a 7000 this morning and was having trouble remembering how the clicker went back together.  all done now, but it took a while.   ;D
send me an email at alantani@yahoo.com for questions!

ez2cdave

Quote from: alantani on August 26, 2017, 12:21:16 AM
i wish i saw this post this morning.  i was putting together a 7000 this morning and was having trouble remembering how the clicker went back together.  all done now, but it took a while.   ;D

Alan,

Glad to see you're getting back to normal . . . I missed you !

Tight Lines !

ez2cdave

Quote from: exp2000 on August 25, 2017, 11:40:50 PMI also notice that there are several versions of the i-series 7000. 1503 has an unprecedented extremely powerful drag system which is absent in other versions. It makes me wonder whether it proved to be so powerful that it overwhelmed other reel components and was subsequently discarded? But I do not know this for certain.

I would suspect that the IAR bearing doesn't "like" the extra load, especially if a fisherman is using heavy braid and cranks the drag down because of the higher lb-test line . . . With mechanical anti-reverse dogs, it would probably be fine.

Thoughts ?

Tight Lines !

alantani

I've found that AR bearings will give you enough hold for up to 15 pounds of drag.  Treat that as a very rough estimate.  As the reel ages and the AR bearing wears down, the holding power decreases even more.
send me an email at alantani@yahoo.com for questions!

exp2000

Quote from: ez2cdave on August 26, 2017, 01:16:40 AM
I would suspect that the IAR bearing doesn't "like" the extra load, especially if a fisherman is using heavy braid and cranks the drag down because of the higher lb-test line . . . With mecahnical anti-reverse dogs, it would probably be fine.

Thoughts ?

1503 does have a backup AR pawl which is probably necessary for the reasons you stated but such a powerful drag stack could also cause the component frame or even the spool shaft to distort on this reel.
~

ez2cdave

Quote from: exp2000 on August 26, 2017, 04:27:25 AM1503 does have a backup AR pawl which is probably necessary for the reasons you stated but such a powerful drag stack could also cause the component frame or even the spool shaft to distort on this reel.

How do you "spot" a 1503 reel, without a box or papers ?