Servicing a Penn 9500 SS Spinning Reel

Started by Alto Mare, June 05, 2011, 07:16:39 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Alto Mare

I was servicing this Penn 9500 SS and I thought it would be a good idea to post some pictures.  Hope you enjoy them! Any questions, just ask!
Sal

I started by removing the handle and spool, key #15 and 47.

I then checked the drags. The drag washer and drag plate looked good, key #117. I replaced the teflon washer (key #56t) with a carbon washer.

I then removed the plate and pulled the main gear out, key #8.  I also removed the spool shaft, #39.

I then removed the transfer lever, the dog, and silent dog, key #4 and 4a. I also removed the bearing cover, the upper eccentric, and the silent eccentric, key #21, 6a, and 6l.

I then cleaned all parts and checked them.

The silent dog needed to be replaced, along with the spool block, key #4a and 43.

The ones on the right are the replacements.

I then lightly greased the housing before reassembly.

I started reassembly with the pinion gear and bearing, key #19 and 55.  

While putting back the upper eccentric, I noticed that it was chipped, so I also replaced this part (key # 6a)

Then, I installed the silent eccentric, key #6L.

Then I installed the dog, the bearing cover, the pinion spacer, the ratchet, the silent dog, and the transfer lever (key #4, 21, 19a, 10, 4a, 224)

Then I removed the bail wire, key #24.  I cleaned the line roller, #35, and the line roller bearing, #35a and reinstalled them.

I also removed the bail spring cover, checked the spring, and applied some grease to it.

I then installed the rotor (key #27).

I put the crosswind gear back in place (#231), along with the spool block (#43).

I greased the spool shaft and set it in place, key #39.

Next, I installed the main gear (key #8).

Along with the right side bearing (#20)

And the bearing cover (223)

I then installed the housing cover (#45) with the bearing in it.

I then put the handle back.  I put a drop of oil on the joints and knob (#15).

Here is the finished reel, ready for action!

As you can see, this reel was fished hard and the anti-reverse was not functioning properly, so I decided to service it.  It is now working as good as it did when it was brand new.  I hope you enjoy it for what it's worth. Again, if you have any questions, just ask! Take care, Sal.
Forget about all the reasons why something may not work. You only need to find one good reason why it will.

Irish Jigger

Thank's Sal,for a great tutorial on a very solid and durable reel. Lots of non ferrous parts there and b/b's  only where required. Ah-- the good old days when reels were "Made with Pride in the USA".

Bryan Young

Very Nice Sal.  Mahalos from the guys in Hawaii.  We have used a lot of these reels.  In fact, where did mine go???  For us guys that could not cast 4/0s and 6/0s in the dark very well (like me), this was the alternative for up to 60# ulua. (GT)
:D I talk with every part I send out and each reel I repair so that they perform at the top of their game. :D

wallacewt

hi sal
what sort of drag is reasonable on a 950

Alto Mare

Thanks guys!

Wallace, the specs on the reel are: 4.2:1 gear ratio, waight 32 oz, line capacity 300 yrds 30lb mono, 500 yrds 80 lb braid.
This reel comes with an oversized drag washer underneath the spool, giving it lots of drag pressure for a spinning reel.
Although it is designed to handle around 20 lb of pressure, I wouldn't push it over 15 lb.
It is a though reel that will take lots of abuse, has a nice stainless steel shaft that will maintain alignment under heavy load and a full metal body.
The weakest part on this reel is the anti-reverse dog, it will fail on a big fish, but not a big deal to replace.
As you probably already know, the SS models " not SSM " are some of my favorite fishing reels.
You could push it a little more than 15lb, but you need to keep the tip of the rod up to let it take some of the load.
Hope this is helpful, take care.
Sal
Forget about all the reasons why something may not work. You only need to find one good reason why it will.

wallacewt

thanks sal
ss dogs maybe the answer.
another job for aaron.

Bryan Young

I'm wondering how many parts bins does Sal have.  He always seem to have the "parts" available in some bin or another.
:D I talk with every part I send out and each reel I repair so that they perform at the top of their game. :D

Alto Mare

Quote from: wallacewt on June 06, 2011, 01:05:17 PM
thanks sal
ss dogs maybe the answer.
another job for aaron.
That would work, I'm in. We would also need the ratchet and the pinion gear; come to think of it, one of my reel does have a stainless steel pinion, but I don't remember wich one and I'm not going to open a couple of dozen reels to find out ;D

Quote from: Bryan Young on June 06, 2011, 02:35:21 PM
I'm wondering how many parts bins does Sal have.  He always seem to have the "parts" available in some bin or another.

Just a few Bryan ;)

Bryan Young

I wish there were SS dogs where we can install SS gear sleeves.  I've seen my share of smashed and deformed dogs with SS gear sleeves.  Dogs are cheap, sleeves are not, so I guess, for now, will live with it.

Alto Mare

Bryan, you know better than that, you're the Engineer ;D. I beleive the dog is designed to fail at a certain stress point, if it didn't we would have to deal with more sirius problems, like a  cracked housing and such. The stock dog can take lots of ponishment, the problem is with guys targeting fish over 200lb with this reel, if you use it with consideration of what it's ment to do, you shouldn't have any problems, if you do, a new dog is only a couple of dollars. But you never know what's on the end of the line when the bite is on.

Bryan Young

I hear ya...but if you use proper line size, drag pressure, idealy the part should never wear out...right?  This is the cost reduction engineering side of me.    8)

Alto Mare

Correct! That's how it should be, but as I mentioned above, some guys target big boys with these reels. I doubt that they're loading them up with 30lb test line for tuna, sharks and more. :-\

gary

is there any other bearing size that can replace the line roller bearing, i'm having a hard time getting supply from my local fishing tackle store :(

Cheers Gary

Alto Mare

Sorry Gary, I missed your question. The best you could do is to contact Scott's, they still have those in stock.
https://www.mysticparts.com/PennParts/Parts/35A-706.aspx

Welcome by the way.
Sal

Newell Nut

Thanks for the nice tutorial Sal. I may need to tune mine up one day.