What is the purpose of these Abu parts?

Started by festus, September 22, 2017, 06:14:13 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

festus

l started taking an Abu Royal apart (no. 820200) and found this assembly l'm not familiar with. 

Are these pieces necessary?  The reel functions fine without it.

What is its purpose?   ??? ??? ???

festus

I looked at a few schematics, and determined this part is called the levelwind gear plate.  Do you suppose l can harm the reel by removing this? The levelwind is working fine without it.

After l took the piece out, installed a new line guide and nut, a new pawl, and a new worm shaft, did some cleaning and lubing, this 35 year old reel is running smoother and casting much better.

Bryan Young

I have no clue. I haven't seen that part in any reel that I have or serviced.
:D I talk with every part I send out and each reel I repair so that they perform at the top of their game. :D

oc1

That's weird.  Looks like it must be a stabilizer for the idler gear.  Maybe it makes the levelwind run smoother or more freely.  They would not spend money to add another part unless there was some performance advantage.  Whenever there is a performance upgrade they are going to tell you about it and promote it.  If you knew what year it appeared you could look for the promotional literature from that time and see what they were saying about it.
-steve

foakes

It just keeps the LW worm gear and nylon idler gear in proper tooth alignment.

You can leave it out, or keep it in.  Will work either way --  but when things start to wear, this will keep them going a little longer.

Not common, and was eliminated fairly soon as unnecessary.

Seemed to help a little with a little extra support in stress trolling conditions when there is more pressure on the reel and LW system.

Best,

Fred
The Official, Un-Authorized Service and Restoration Center for quality vintage spinning reels.

D-A-M Quick, Penn, Mitchell, and ABU/Zebco Cardinals

--------

The first rule of fishing is to fish where the fish are. The second rule of fishing is to never forget the first rule.

"Enjoy the little things in Life — For someday, you may look back — and realize that they were the big things"
                                                     Fred O.

Crow

Is that what "negates" the level wind from movement when it's in freespool ?
There's nothing wrong with a few "F's" on your record....Food, Fun, Flowers, Fishing, Friends, and Fun....to name just a few !

foakes

Maybe, would make sense --

I don't know if I have one of those without tearing apart 20 or 30 ABU baitcasters --

Best,

Fred
The Official, Un-Authorized Service and Restoration Center for quality vintage spinning reels.

D-A-M Quick, Penn, Mitchell, and ABU/Zebco Cardinals

--------

The first rule of fishing is to fish where the fish are. The second rule of fishing is to never forget the first rule.

"Enjoy the little things in Life — For someday, you may look back — and realize that they were the big things"
                                                     Fred O.

festus

Quote from: foakes on September 23, 2017, 04:49:25 PM
It just keeps the LW worm gear and nylon idler gear in proper tooth alignment.

You can leave it out, or keep it in.  Will work either way --  but when things start to wear, this will keep them going a little longer.

Not common, and was eliminated fairly soon as unnecessary.

Seemed to help a little with a little extra support in stress trolling conditions when there is more pressure on the reel and LW system.

Best,

Fred
l'm going to leave it out, the reel seems to be doing better without it.  Yesterday l upgraded the reel with a new pawl, line guide and line guide nut, worm shaft, idler gear, and two new spool bearings so it should be fine.

After a little research l found that this level wind plate was used mostly on the Abu 4600 CB and the Abu 4600 Royal.  The Abu 4600CB was built to be sold at Cabela's and usually came in a green or gray color.

Found this pic of a green Abu 4600CB on ebay.

tholmes

That reel has a disengaging level wind (the LW doesn't move when the reel is in freespool). Perhaps those parts have something to do with that?
I don't have any ABU reels with that feature, so I can't take one apart to look.

Tom

oc1

OK, now you have my interest.  How do I convert an ABU to disengaging levelwind?
-steve