What makes you buy one reel over another

Started by Backwater Outfitters, September 22, 2017, 07:51:15 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

whalebreath

I've done very well with Shimano over the years so when I was looking for a new planer reel their products were first on the list and after a lot of looking & comparing I lucked into a BNIB Tekota for $100 off retail-a no brainer decision.

tholmes

Quote from: Ron Jones on September 22, 2017, 07:59:48 PM
#1 for me is familiarity. I have tried using something other than star drag single speeds, but it just seems more like trying to use an unfamiliar OS than fishing. Second is function, I look for the least expensive way to get into the equipment I want. Third, of course, is nostalgia. I put a whole bunch more money into reels than I need to to get then to function at the level they do, but that makes me feel good and satisfies my rule #1.
Ron

That's it for me also. After using several different brands of baitcasters, I've settled on the Sweden-made Ambassadeurs. Rugged, reliable and easy to service and repair. Parts are easy to find, too.
As far as spinning reels go, I'm all over the map. I started with Mitchell because it was the most easily obtainable in a left-hand configuration. I also have several Shimano, Daiwa, and Pflueger reels.

Tom

SoCalAngler

Application, application, application that is why I choose one reel over another.

I currently fish 5 different manufactures of reels in my line up. Not all 5 manufactures of reels may be on the same trip but I still have cross over reels as far as lb test for the application I plan on using. Say I want 2 30 lb setups, one for bait/yoyo iron and another for surface lures/jigs. These for me can two very different reels and applications (rods also). Cranking power for deep drops around structure or speed to get a reaction bite can not had by just one reel many times. With that said is is where two speed reels make sense for me in higher line classes.

I only fish saltwater but the line tests I use start around 15 lb and can go to 80 lb depending on what I'm fishing for and how. So with the varying line test and how I intend to use my gear no one manufacture cover's all the bases the way I like. That's why I have 5 different manufactures and even different manufactures of reels in the same line class.

Like I said to all boils down to application and my intended use.

Gfish

Great question. No 2 answers seem to be the same.

Unfortunately, for me first it's price. Even though I could afford a $700+ reel, such as a Stella super-spinner, I just can't see myself not freaking-out when I accidently smack it hard with the kayak paddle. I've smacked my Lethal 100 several times and it didn't bother me too much. My $200 Static 8000's got slight dent in the spool lip. In fact all my reels get beat on pretty good. Then there's thievery, difficulty of repair/maintenance, future avalibility of parts?  No, too much worry. Got a few new-fangled ones in the $300 area and that's been a good limit so far...

Though I'm still in the phase of trying diffrent manufactures, my preference is always evolving, especially since I came here. Thank you all for all the information!  Now it's vintage Penns with bushings insteda ballbearings(i.e., no more Senators for now, though I do gotta get a Squidder some day). They are relatively cheap, tuff, easy to service, upgradeable and have an interesting history, and those things would be the second reason I buy one over another. I recently bought 2 of the same vintage Penn conventionals, so I could have parts, for under $70.

Third'ed be what So-Cal's talkin about." Application", for example, quick, no backlash casts with lighter lures when I see somethin happenin on the surface, means for me my Static or Cardinal 4 spinner, or the Abu Revo baitcaster, with the great cast controls on it. The Revo's expensive, but not crazy $ and well worth what it cost, so far.
Gfish
Fishing tackle is an art form and all fish caught on the right tackle are"Gfish"!

nelz

I can so relate GFISH! Many times my best reels don't make it out to the piers for fear of damage or having one stolen as I'm busy chasing after a big'un. My "beaters" see most of the action, but I do like to take out the "Cadillacs" on occasion.

As for picking one reel over another, I do prefer older Daiwa's and Penn for their durability, simplicity and parts availability.

thorhammer

why I buy a reel....usually something i recognize as a deal, or maybe catches my eye due to being neglected that with a little TLC can be great again.  Couldn't say the last new edition reel I bought at retail price. I use Penn's for saltwater, as we know due to serviceability. other than that, application. Penn's, Mitchell's and Quick for spinning. I love my Penn 940's and have a half dozen Calcutta's, but somehow when I actually go fishing it's the old Abu's. My favorite out of dozens is a 1972 5500C. Still sings a Spook WAYYYYY passed the guys in the boat with lil bitty trendy low profile reels, on its original bearing, with just a shot of Corroson X sprayed right on it.

I'm with GFish....NO WAY I'm dropping a grand on a spinning reel and hurl if i scratch it.

nelz

I used to have a mint Calcutta TE. One day I left it leaning on the rail with a baited hook... along comes a bird and tries to fly off with the bait. My precious goes up... then slams down on the deck!  :o :o :o

Thankfully, it came out ok. PHEW!